Question Placement of seats

NewfieMoma

Got a question for ya... we are gonna be driving a 2 door 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix. Is it ok if I put the SS1 out bound, as I get the BEST ever install of Chelsea's Radian in the middle. Please let me know... I know its safer for Melissa to be in the middle but I also know that the safest spot is where I can get the best install. Thanks a bunch :)

ADS

Pixels

If you have two kids, one of them has to go outboard. The decision-making process of who to put where should look something like this:

Can I get an acceptable install of the seats?
Can I put one child in the middle, or will they fight, causing driver distraction?
Then, least protected child goes in the most protected spot. A FFing child is less protected than a RFing child, so FFing child goes in the middle (if possible based on the above questions). If they're both RFing, it doesn't really matter who goes where.

NewfieMoma

CFhelsea is now FF as she is 29lbs nekid, so with clothes and her shoes she would be the 30lbs which is the MAX for my seat.
I get the best install ever with the Radian in the middle... and the SS1 I just do not use the base with so yeah. Thank you very much

Pixels

Why don't you use the base with the SS? Installing and uninstalling a seat constantly leaves a lot of room for error. It would be better if you can install the base once, correctly, leave it, and not mess with it all the time.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Why don't you use the base with the SS? Installing and uninstalling a seat constantly leaves a lot of room for error. It would be better if you can install the base once, correctly, leave it, and not mess with it all the time.

Based on the first post I'm guessing it's a temporary change to this vehicle and not permanent. Then again, some people prefer to not use bases with their infant seats and if somebody does install it properly every time there is no risk as a result. If somebody is comfortable installing without a base and does it correctly every single time, there's nothing wrong with choosing to not use the base. (FWIW, some seats seem to install easier without the base depending on the contours of the vehicle seat. And in those cases it's good when the parents decide to just skip the base.)

NewfieMoma

We do not own a car... my SIL is loaning us her car while she goes away for the weekend. If I had a car I would SO be using the base.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC