Another double stroller question

Mama Jo

Are the side-by-side strollers more convenient than the tandem ones? I have no idea what to get.

I need it for a 2 yr old and a 7 month old. It's not something I'll use frequently, 2 yr old prefers to walk and won't usually sit in a stroller. It will only be used when we all go to the zoo or something where the kids will be walking around all day. I want to have the option of letting the 2 yr old fall asleep in the stroller, so a sit-stand won't work.

I prefer both seats be able to recline, at least a little. And I don't want to spend $400 because it really won't be used that much. I prefer to stay under $200 if at all possible. It doesn't need to accommodate an infant seat.

Suggestions??

ADS

MySillyKids

I loved my SBS more than i loved my tandem.

how about if i PM you a code for 15% that $400 stroller purchase?!

:p

and once you push the BJCMD (if thats the $400 one you're talking about) you'll use it every day :whistle:

ctbcleveland

Most of my friends have chosen the side-by-sides over the tandems because their kids would fight over who gets to sit in front.

Your kids are far enough a part that maybe that won't matter.

ctbcleveland

I loved my SBS more than i loved my tandem.

how about if i PM you a code for 15% that $400 stroller purchase?!

:p

and once you push the BJCMD (if thats the $400 one you're talking about) you'll use it every day :whistle:

...Can I have the code? We are getting really close to buying one.

Mama Jo

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about! LOL I was reading the other thread hoping to get suggestions and that stroller looks pretty awesome. But even with 15% off, $340 is still a little more than I wanna spend!

Has anyone had any experience with this one? I know... all you stroller nuts with your $600 strollers probably will roll your eyes and think it's a piece of poo... but if I spent as much on strollers as I did on carseats, I'd be filing bankruptcy!! LOL So, it's one or the other with me, and while I'd love an expensive stroller, I feel better spending the extra money on carseats instead lol

http://www.albeebaby.com/combi-twin-sport-2009-double-stroller-carbon-black-and-grey.html

I like that it has cupholders for the kids. Alot of the umbrella-type ones don't.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
my stepdaughter has one of the Combi tandem ones..I'mnot certain if it is the exact one you linked to or not, but it is NICE..pushes really easily, folds up really small and easily....i was very impressed at how evenly it pushed considering one side had a 44 lb 5 yr old in it and the other side had a 9 month old in it....but it was butter.

if it honestly wont be used much, what i used to do before discovering double stroller happiness was take my big, nice single stroller, and I could fit 2 kids in it..DD would sit in the back,and hold onto her baby brother. Or else, perhaps just a wagon? I loves me a wagon...lol...

ctbcleveland

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about! LOL I was reading the other thread hoping to get suggestions and that stroller looks pretty awesome. But even with 15% off, $340 is still a little more than I wanna spend!

Has anyone had any experience with this one? I know... all you stroller nuts with your $600 strollers probably will roll your eyes and think it's a piece of poo... but if I spent as much on strollers as I did on carseats, I'd be filing bankruptcy!! LOL So, it's one or the other with me, and while I'd love an expensive stroller, I feel better spending the extra money on carseats instead lol

http://www.albeebaby.com/combi-twin-sport-2009-double-stroller-carbon-black-and-grey.html

I like that it has cupholders for the kids. Alot of the umbrella-type ones don't.

I was at BRU and tried out the Combi and Chicco doubles they had there. The Combi was easier to fold and recline and I liked the fact that it had a solid bar to push rather than two spread-apart handles. BUT - I thought the Chicco maneuvered much better.

The Chicco is more of a true umbrella - no cupholders - barebones sunshades, but does have a full recline.

Wagons are a great - cost-effective solution too.

Mama Jo

my stepdaughter has one of the Combi tandem ones..I'mnot certain if it is the exact one you linked to or not, but it is NICE..pushes really easily, folds up really small and easily....i was very impressed at how evenly it pushed considering one side had a 44 lb 5 yr old in it and the other side had a 9 month old in it....but it was butter.

if it honestly wont be used much, what i used to do before discovering double stroller happiness was take my big, nice single stroller, and I could fit 2 kids in it..DD would sit in the back,and hold onto her baby brother. Or else, perhaps just a wagon? I loves me a wagon...lol...

The balance on each side was a concern to me, because the 2 yr old is about 35 lbs, and the 7 month old is 18 lbs. So that's good to hear that it worked ok with a 5 yr old and a 9 mo old.

I can't trust the 2 yr old to hold onto the baby. LOL

And we use a wagon, as well... there's also a 4 yr old and two 5 yr olds, so they have to take turns in that. I don't think the baby would do well in a wagon, he really needs to be tied down pretty tightly. LOL

Blasphemy on here, but we spend a lot more on strollers than we do on car seats.

We just ordered the grey and orange BJCMD this weekend. Goores had 17% off.

We went with a side by side based on what I've read. Parents seem to prefer it more. I guess the tandem ones can be a lot harder to push around due to how the weight is distributed and stuff. I just saw a lot more reviews from parents saying how side by side was more convenient for them.

I couldn't find a Zooper Tango to check out in person. It was supposed to be sold at Goore's according to Zooper's website, but the salesperson said they didn't stock them and it doesn't show up on the website. Oh well, the fold looked kinda big. The BJCMD is a known quantity and it really was amazing when we checked it out (well, the single cuz they didn't have the CM double on display). The price for the car seat adaptor bar is absurd though. It was like double what Bugaboo charges for an adaptor.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Zooper is no longer in business from my understanding, so what stock is left is all there is. :(

FWIW, I loathe, detest and hate Combi strollers. They are short, flimsy, pieces of junk to me.

I'd honestly go with a Kolcraft double umbrella stroller before I'd put out any money on a SBS Combi stroller...especially with the size difference of your kiddos. After a kid hits about 2yo, in a Combi they are about impossible to push.

Mama Jo

The Combi looks more comfortable than the Chicco. Maybe I should see if they have them at BRU and play with them a little.

I really like the looks of the Kolkraft tandem. But if it's a PITA to steer, I don't want it. On the other hand, a tandem might solve the balance issue...

I did, however, just find a Chicco SBS in "excellent new condition" (which I've found to be subjective...) for $100. It might be worth checking out...

ctbcleveland

The Combi looks like a standard stroller and has more of an enclosed seat (read:comfortable) while the Chicco has more of a an umbrella feel. Combi's have short handles and tall people tend to kick the wheels. Chiccos are great for tall people.

The Chicco Twin Trevi is on sale for around $160 at BRU - and this Sunday's paper had a coupon for another 10% off (I think). So, you'll have to decide if $100.00 is worth buying used.

Chicco had another double called the C5 - but it did not recline as fully and I believe it weighs more than the current model at BRU (twin trevi).

Rosey

I have a BJCMD and a Mac Twin Techno. In your budget you should be able to find a mac twin on CL. I got mine is excellent condition for 150 and it is awesome. My sister is using it now for her 2yr old and newborn. It is easy to steer and reclines enough for a newborn. Her 2 yr old hops in and out and it still pushes fine. When my computer starts working again, you could pm your email and I can send you some pics of her kids in it. It will hold big kids too.

I hate combis. The only one I could consider is the combi tandem because the extra set of wheels helps it turn much better than most tandems. I think they are very plasticy and squeak. The Chicco would be nice though....similar to the mac.

Zooper is no longer in business from my understanding, so what stock is left is all there is. :(

Awww, they looked like a nice company. Would explain why Goores didn't have em anymore.

I'm not a big fan of Combi either. Yeah, they're light, but that turns out to be a bad thing if you ever take them out on pavement. I borrowed my SIL's one time. Shoulda just carried DS and the stroller instead of trying to push him around in it on San Francisco's cracked sidewalks.

Kat_Momof3

how tall are you?? combis are on the shorter side, but even at 5'7&1/2 as long as I wore flat shoes with not super thick soles, I could push the combi doubles... the singles were harder (the center of the bar of the double is higher than the more level bar of the single for some reason, so that gives a bit more height overall... their newer models may be a bit taller now, though)... anyway... it was super light, the seating was great, canopies ideal for long outings outdoors as long as you have the smooth ground to push it on.

it may feel wobbly and jiggly to you, but trust me, it's a cushy ride as voiced by my kids... the seats are wide and roomy but the stroller fits through any doorway.

honestly, I keep arguing to myself if I would have a combi or a mac if Ruthie had a little brother or sister in the past year or so where I could rationalize a double... because it IS (for me) that much of a tossup.

they both have some features that are better than the other and it just ends up with what features matter more to you.

either one could handle Damian (at the time) when he was 60lbs and Ruthie at her under 40lbs and felt like the weight was even... (I used him instead of Jeffrey for testing the weight difference, as there was more lbs between them)

xxluckychicxx

I would go with the Chicco Trevi Twin at BRU. Its clearanced right now and IMO its much more sturdy feeling than the Combi. I actually owned the Chicco and :love: it. At the time DS was right around 24 months and DD was about 5 months and it pushed beautifully, even better than our BJCMD :duck:. I still love the BJCMD though! I've also pushed the Combi twin at the fair once (borrowed it from a friend) and it sucks! Its very wobbly and bumpy, and just sucky.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
I agree...I had nothing but good experiences with my Zooper strollers. The only complaint I had was that the harnesses were GInormous, so they were completely useless for anyone under the age of 5...LOL...but other than that, I loved 'em.

I literally called my hubby, sobbing, when I accidentally backed over my zStreet...:(

Mama Jo

I've checked my local CL and everyone around here owns junk. (I've bought 3 expired carseats just this week, if that tells you anything about the mentality of my local craigslisters...)

It's a rare occasion when I've seen something actually NICE on there.

I've gotten mixed reviews on the Combi vs. Chicco SBS's... so I think I'll see if BRU carries them in the store here and try them out. Maybe stick my 5 yr old in one side and the 7 month old in the other side... I'm sure I'll get funny looks, LOL, you should see the looks I get when I try the 5 yr old in the 5 pt harness seats there!

The other stroller I had considered that no one commented on, was the Kolcraft Tandem. I kinda like the way it looks... any experience with this one?? I haven't completely ruled out having a tandem... due to the weight differences of the kiddos, I'm not quite ready to rule that option out yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC