I'm having issues with my new ToddlerHawk

MoreLatte

Ok, this is my first mei-tei experience, so that may be part of the problem:eek:

To walk around the house for a few minutes, its fine. I used it on a walk the other day and it was painful. My lower back and hips were very stressed after about 5minutes.

I have the straps just as it shows in the instructions- after I looped them over my shoulders, they are routed criss-crossed under her bum, then under her legs to the front where I tied it.

Is she up too high, down too low? Do I have the waist tie too high on my hips? Or is she just too heavy for it?

Last edited:
ADS

LuvMyCharlie

It looks fine to me. Honestly, I've stopped using my Babyhawk in favor of the Ergo. DS is about 27 lbs now, and it was getting increasingly uncomfortable(except a quick in/out of the store maybe) to use the BH.

emandbri

I"m not all that familiar with Mei teis but it looks fine to me.

Are you used to wearing her on your back? I wore Elizabeth all the time last summer no problems at all. I hadn't worn her hardly at all through the winter and wore her a few weeks ago when Benjamin was asleep and needed the stroller, I only wore her for 15 min tops and my back was KILLING me after! She hadn't gained much weight at all so I think my babywearing muscles are just out of shape.

You could try wearing her for a few minutes each day and slowly increase how long you wear her.

natysr

As you already know, I have no experience, but I'm still shopping for my first back carrier.

I found this website yesterday. I'm going to meet with the person who owns this business next week to try stuff on.

Anyway, scroll down a bit on this page until you get to the "baby wearing support belt". It says it can be used with any mei tai. Maybe that would help.

http://www.theportablebaby.com/pikkolo.html

LuvMyCharlie

That looks pretty cool, Natalie. Reminds me of the waist on the Ergo. Hmm..might have to grab one of these to try with my BH sometime.

desiree_leigh

I found my BH more comfortable (tho much less attractive) when I crossed the straps over my front instead of having them "backpack-style" Not sure if that will help you but it's what worked for me!

skipspin

I found my BH more comfortable (tho much less attractive) when I crossed the straps over my front instead of having them "backpack-style" Not sure if that will help you but it's what worked for me!

Yep! I agree. For quick trips I'd do backpack style, but crossed is much much comfier especially for a heavy toddler/preschooler. I haven't worn DS since I had the baby, but I wore him around 32 weeks and it wasn't bad at all. Sort of balanced out the tummy to be honest.:rolleyes:

MoreLatte

As you already know, I have no experience, but I'm still shopping for my first back carrier.

I found this website yesterday. I'm going to meet with the person who owns this business next week to try stuff on.

Anyway, scroll down a bit on this page until you get to the "baby wearing support belt". It says it can be used with any mei tai. Maybe that would help.

http://www.theportablebaby.com/pikkolo.html

Thats a good idea, it does look like it would offer a good deal of back support. You'll have to let me know how it goes trying out the different carriers and if it really helps.

I did end up buying an Ergo, too and I haven't had any problems with it hurting. I just wondered if there was something obvious that I was missing with the TH. It felt like I had the ties too tight and they were kind of digging into my body, but if they were any looser, I don't think she'd be supported enough.

I'm going to give it a try with the straps crossed in front, too and see how it feels. Like you said, it may not look the most attractive but comfort is key.

I haven't actively worn her- front or back, for over a year, so I'm out of practice. I really do need to strengthen those back muscles I'm sure!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC