Ok, big problem with Volvo tether anchors and Britax tethers.

groovymom2000

I was cleaning out my glove compartment and found Volvo's manual supplement, with I am very embarrassed to admit, arrived in April of this year, and deals with car seats, etc. :eek: The manual that came with the car was extremely vague about child safety issues. This is a 2004 V70R.
Anyway, they now specifically prohibit routing the tether strap around or over the headrest, and of course, illustrate the single tether going under the headrest. These headrests are not removeable, and I can get the tether under the headrest by tilting it forward and then back up. The problem comes with tightening the tether. I can't get it tightened because the tightening mechanism is now not in line with the there(does that make any sense at all?):confused:
I have a MA and a Husky in there, and my 5 year old is at 51 lbs. or so, so he has to have the tether. Does anyone have any ideas for working with it? This is a new issue--when I have had my seats checked in the past, we have all read the manual and stood around discussing the tether over, under, around issue, and until now, have gone with routing it around, as that was the best way to get a good fit, and the manual said nothing about it one way or the other!
Interestingly, Volvo still hasn't actually stated a top tether weight max.(at least, not in any of my manuals,nor in this supplement)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't get that a Versa tether isn't basically the same as going 'under' the headrest, since the straps are going to be resting right there on the seatback. Imagine if you took a single strap tether and went sideways around the headrest...that would be putting stress in all kinds of weird angles that would reduce the efficacy of the tether. But the Versa tether is in a natural line when it's straddling the headrest, right? You just want to take the most direct path so that the tether works best. You might also call Volvo Corporate and ask them what the heck, I mean sheesh, don't all Volvo buyers also buy Britaxes? They need to get with their market, already (ok, a little tongue in cheek, but seriously, they've had 10 years to get used to that Versa tether thing, lol)

:)

groovymom2000

Thanks Julie. I am going to call Volvo as soon as I get a chance...

of course, they are going to tell me to follow the manual. But I guess, what should I ask them exactly? I am trying to make an informed parental decision on this. You are correct in that the tether is most in line when going around the headrest, and I have never had an issue using it this way. So, as far as the mechanics of the Versa tether goes, the way that Volvo states in its manual is unsafe, simply because you can't tighten it. I would bet that Britax would tell me that it can't be used that way. Should I ask Volvo specifically about the Versa tether? They won't tell me--when I communicated with them about RF tether anchors they wouldn't tell me anything. Grrr...why can't you just remove the blasted headrests, it would make life so much easier.....

I guess my final question is---is it unsafe to use the tether against the description in the volvo manual, or more unsafe to go without the tether? Of course, in Elliot's case that would move him out of the Husky and into the Parkway full-time. I can't follow the directive in the manual, obviously. And I also know that any tech is going to be obliged to tell me to follow Volvo's directive, which would mean not using the tether.
Ian(in the MA) is right at 37 lbs. and 2 years right now.
Hmmm....

I know there are a few people around that have Volvos--this came out for all models and years 1996-2006, so I can't be the only person out here with this issue!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Personally? If it were me? My kid, my seat, my car? I'd keep using the tether the way you have had it and keep him harnessed. :rolleyes:

gwenvet

I have a Saab with similar issues...headrests are not removable and it is tough to tighten when going under them. I have had more luck raising the headrest, installing and tightening the tether and then lowering the headrest. But I have also gone around it figuring that this was better than going over the headrest. Don't know if this will help.

groovymom2000

Those darn headrests go in 2 positions--up, and folded forward.

You can't raise them nor remove them. Julie, thanks for your reply. THat's pretty much what I have decided to do--I will be in contact with Volvo, just to see what they say about it, but I want Elliot in the Husky as long as he can stay there. He rides in a Parkway in the mornings in Dh's car to school, but mostly he's with me.

groovymom2000

You know--I haven't. :eek: I will admit that things got incredibly hectic and I didn't call.
I think it is on my long list of "things to do", but I kind of have made a parental decision on this one. I really think that they are referring to the typical single tether strap. Britax is the only one(I may be wrong here) with that versa tether, and I can't see how this would work safely.
If I don't have to take DS2 to the Dr. tomorrow for stitches in his busted lip:rolleyes: , I may try to give them a call.

tchanbaby

Ok, I'll watch out to see if you find anything out. Right now we only have one forward facing marathon and it is in the middle position so it can be routed under the middle headrest but eventually we will have 2 forward facing seats.

I was just searching the site because I'm wondering if our 2006 V70 has rear facing tether anchors. It looks like there is something that could be it but I'm not 100% sure....anyway, in my search I saw this post and wondered about the outcome.

Do you know anything about hooks under the front seats that look like they could be rf'ing tether anchors?

DSCN27952007-02-19.jpg

DSCN27972007-02-19.jpg

DSCN27962007-02-19.jpg

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
interesting. don't some swedish RF seats have dual tethers? i wonder if those two hooks are for them?
That's what I *think* they must be...for those special lower swedish tethers...

At any rate, they are certainly sturdy enough to tolerate rearfacing crash forces (solid bolted unmoving metal part).

:)

tchanbaby

We are trying to get an official answer from Volvo, I don't know if we will though. I thought it was interesting that it is not one part; it appears to be welded on to the bottom of the track and that silver bolt does not go through it, they both start right behind that bolt (or screw; whichever it is)

groovymom2000

Now those I do remember calling Volvo about--it was almost two years ago, though. :eek: That is hard to believe!
Anyway, the rep. that I spoke with would not specifically confim that those were RF tether anchors--it's not in the US manual, and so she would not confirm that was what they were there for. BUT, she did not specifically prohibit it, either. She did say that there were RF hooks on their Euro. models. Since my car was mf overseas, I assume that is what they were for, and used them as such. Very handy little things they are.

X

XC70 Hateful Headrest

Anybody managed to figure it out?

Hitting same problem with Diono seat in outboard position in XC70 - rear tether buckle gets right under headrest making it impossible to lock (or tighten belt well). Diono customer service is in deep 2nd week thought on that one.

Thinking out loud, options:
1. Route on top of erect headrest - not an option, not safe - seat moves too much
2. Try to route under headrest with headrest down, against the manual.
3. Shorten (locking clips?) or lengthen V part of tether - that messes with tether geometry just a bit, probably best choice.
4. Have dealership remove headrest.

If somebody figure it out in the last 11 years - please post :)

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC