Car Seat Advice Needed.

davesaysimaturd

Here's the situation:

2 Kids:
DD is 2.5 yr old, 30 lb, 38" and currently RF in a Boulevard. I need to measure her seated height.
DS is 4 months, 15 lb, 26" and RF in a Keyfit.

2 cars:
2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
2000 Dodge Interpid (but we are thinking of getting rid of this for a Mazda 5)

I've been thinking about turning DD forward soon. But I'm debating about what to do. These are the options I've come up with:

1. FF in the Boulevards.
2. DS will probably need to go to a convertible carseat within the next 6 months, so I could get DD a FF only seat like a Regent. Then use the Boulevards for DS.

If I chose option #2 which is what I'm leaning towards, what seats do I get for DD. The 2 I've mainly been thinking about are Britax Regent or Recaro Signo. I know the Signo is a convertible but it will harness to 70lb and has a higher seated height than some of the others. I'd really like to keep her harnessed as long as possible.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

ADS

AtTheSouthDam

I'd go with a Regent over the Signo if those are your top two choices. The Signo will lack seat depth as your daughter gets older. Also, it reclines quite a bit. The Regent will provide much more room for her and at her height the harness will last longer. My DD1 was 39" at 3 and is now on the top slots of the Regent at 5.5 years. She was even with the top slot of the Como just a few weeks ago.

If you are sure about the FF have you considered the Frontier or Nautilus? Those should last until you are ready for a booster and longer than the Signo.

And if you are not sure about FF have you consider the Radian? It will give you more shell height for RF and my DD1 still fits in it (barely) FF so it may last until booster age :)

I would definitely pass the BLVDs down to your next child if that is what you are thinking and get a another seat for DD.

cookie123

I would hold off until for DS is ready to outgrow the Keyfit. By that time you may be ready to ff your DD. At that point, I would pass down the BV and get your DD either a Frontier or a Nautilus. I don't personally care for the Recaros, they're up on that ridiculously high base (at least imho!) The Regent is definitely the seat that will harness the longest, but it's overkill for a lot of kids, unless a really long torso is an issue.

My grandkids are nearly 5 (2 weeks) and 6.5. They both still have growing room in the Nautilus. I'm sure Hannah will last until 7 at least. And that's long enough, I feel, if it's outgrown around then.

HTH

davesaysimaturd

Thanks for the advice.

I figured we wouldn't make any change until DS needs to go to a convertible unless DD all of a sudden gains 3 lbs. At least one of the Boulevards said it goes to 33 or did they say that all of them can go to 35 RF now?

I had considered the Frontier but it seems like people have had lots of issues installing it.

My main reason for considering the Regent over the others is the ability to harness to 80 lb.

cookie123

You never know. My grandson - age 4.5 - gained 3 lbs recently! I just remembered - a couple years ago, his growth curve projected him hitting 40 lbs at 5. He's 45 lbs. Oh, well.

romanoma

at 30lbs and 38inches, sounds like your dd is tall and lean. About the same stats as my DS. For kids like this, it is very unlikely that you will harness them to 80lbs. They will likely outgrow any seat before they hit 80. Heck, look at peoples siggys on here, many 8,9,10yr olds aren't 80 yet!! Just a thought. With a lean kid, you will likely be fine with a high top slot 65lbs seat like a radian or nautilus. But a regent is fine for the higher harness slots, just make sure your car seat is wide enough for that wide of a seat.

momtoirs

We have a 00 Impreza Wagon. Not sure how different it is from the 2002 Impreza WRX, but I was not able to get a satisfactory short belt path install for the Regent in our Impreza. I did work with another tech and neither of us were happy with the short belt path. Long belt path was okay, if I recall correctly. If you do get a Regent, make sure you try before you buy or can return if you can't get it to install via short belt path. Unless you get an older model, you'll need to use short belt path for kids over 40#.

Tina

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC