Best booster for older child

ChristyH

I am in need of a booster for my 9 1/2 year old, right now she's currently in a backless booster but I need a high back booster that can also be used by my 7yr old niece from time to time.

My daughter is 52" tall and about 59lbs and 9 1/2 years old, she's a little short for her age and I'm just not comfortable with her being in just a seat belt yet.

My niece is almost 7yrs old and about 45lbs and about 47" tall.

I have a 7 passenger 2005 Pontiac Montana and during the summer I'll be keeping my sisters 2 kids as well as my 4. I need a HBB that will accomodate my daughter when she's riding in it and my niece when she needs that seat.

I was looking at the Monterey because I liked that it went to 120lbs but didn't know if there was anything else out there that might work for us?

FWIW, this will be in the 3rd row of the van with a Radian 65 and a Radian 80 so I need something that's going to fit!

Thanks!

ADS

scatterbunny

I have no personal experience with your van, so I have no idea what will fit in the third row with two Radians. I do have a super-tall 7yo (53.5 inches) and have used many highback boosters, so hopefully I can throw out some good options. I can tell you, though, that you're right that your dd will need a booster for awhile longer, probably 2-3 years. Age and weight don't matter as much as height, and even then, there's no real set height limit when it's okay to forgo the booster; it all depends on the vehicle seatbelt configuration, and how it fits the child. A child can fit fine without a booster in one vehicle, but still need a booster in others.

Boosters I'd consider, that should be tall enough to work for your 9yo for a few more years, are the Sunshine Kids Monterey, the Recaro Vivo, the Graco TurboBooster and the Graco AirBooster. The Monterey and Vivo are taller than the others. The Turbo tends to fit best (of those four) in tight spots. There aren't a ton of great booster options on the market right now, in my opinion, especially not boosters that fit great in three-across situations. If none of those four work three-across, I'd try to find a Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster (online). These were made by Britax for a short time, and have a width-adjustable base, and armrests that sit pretty far forward, and no real torso wings to speak of, which makes buckling easier than other boosters next to another carseat. The FPSVB is pretty short as a highback, though; my daughter is now too tall for highback mode, unfortunately.

ChristyH

Thank you! I'm going to head to Big Lots today and see if they have the Air Booster still for sale.
I love the look of the Monterey and that it would last us longer but I don't think I'd be able to if it 3 across with 2 other radians because the shoulders adjust to wide.
I also like that the Air Booster has the better leg support

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC