High back booster

A

Andrea

I have a soon to be 5 year old (bd is in April). Last time he was weighed a few months ago he was 45 lbs, but I am sure he is a little heavier now. In our main car he is harnessed in an Apex 65. We have a secondary car which is the one that is usually home with us as it is not in as good of shape and my husband has a long commute everyday. I cannot use the car though as we don't have a seat for him in this car (99 Cavalier). My younger son has his brother's outgrown Triumph rf in this car. We are very low on funds ...worrying about making mortgage payments even, but I would like to be able to use this car when I am home with the kids for occasional short trips/emergencies. I originally wanted to get a Graco Nautilus but unfortunately that even is too expensive.

I have educated myself alot about convertible seats but I know nothing about boosters other than at this age he should def be in a high backed one. I did hear a little while back that Consumer Reports released an article saying that alot of them do not position the belt correctly so I want to avoid that.

Any suggestions of some good models to try?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Graco Turbo Booster got a 'good bet' mark and if you shop around you can probably find it for $39 http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/good_bets.html
(the only warnings I have are to use the screws when assembling the armrests, and make sure you put the belts in the right places under the armrests...you wouldn't believe how many people can't seem to figure it out :eek:)
And luckily, your Apex actually makes a good booster later, so you won't have to replace that as long as the car it's in has a very tall seatback or headrests behind your child's head.

Good luck with everything, I've been there, done that, and it's no fun :(

Stretchy Glue

I agree with Jools. It seems that our darlings outgrow everything when funds are the least generous. I know my dd outgrew her harnessed seats when my dh was laid off. I'd get a Turbo and feel 100% comfortable with it.

henrietta

if you have a big lots near you, you might be able to get another for $85 (or 20% off w/their coupon on their friends days).

gl! we're there, too, $$-wise. hang in there.

henrietta

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Perhaps I am dense, but if dh is taking the main car to work with him,why not just switch the Apex 65 into the secondary car, since it is the one that is actually home with you???

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC