Child seats in RVs

maipenrai

Senior Community Member
DH & I are planning to sell the house, buy some sort of RV, and travel for about two years. (Woohoo! We are excited!) We've narrowed it down to either a fifth wheel towed by a one ton truck or a class A.

Honestly, we'd prefer the class A. We're shopping used, and we can get more features in a class A than a fifth wheel. Space is about the same, but storage is much larger in the class A. Driving is easier, no setting up in the cold/heat/snow on arrival, and we already have a little Pontiac Vibe that could be towed and used as a local getaround vehicle at each stop. (If we go the fifth wheel route, we have to buy both the trailer and the truck, which is why it's more expensive.) Pretty much the only thing holding us back from the class A is my concern about our kids, currently age 2 and age 8 months.

We're not looking at the ones built on a truck body with thin walls. The class A's are built on bus bodies, and are probably heavier than most buses. Something like this:
2181821_1.jpg

I'm torn because I feel like the vehicle itself being so huge, heavy, and visible offers them some protection, much like a school bus. And they would be harnessed in seats with good side impact protection (currently a Boulevard for DD and I may look into one for DS or a Radian XT over his current Marathon). When we're driving around locally, I would rather be driving them in our small car that has good safety ratings than an oversized pickup that is cumbersome and difficult to maneuver. But the highway safety is important to me too. I know I've always told people they can't put child seats safely in RVs, but honestly I always thought of the truck body ones, and being in an actual bus shell seems different to me.

So would you let your kids ride in captains chairs that faced the front of the vehicle? How about a captains chair that faced backwards? What about the side facing couches?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
DH and I discused this at length and decided on the 5th wheel, because I'm not comfortable putting child seats in a Class A.

No, you can't put car seats on rear-facing captain's chairs or side-facing benches.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
:yeahthat:

Absolutely not on rear- or side-facing seats. That's one of the cardinal rules.

I might be ok with forward-facing captains chairs as long as they (and the seatbelts) were actually bolted to the frame. Also, every. single. thing. in that vehicle would need to be locked/secured.

Weren't there some photos floating around here of an RV crash? IIRC, it showed a bunch of stuff that wound up flying OUT the windshield of the RV. (Anyone?)

I'd be much more comfortable with a fifth wheel.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The problem as it's been explained to me is that aside from the driver and passenger seat, the other seats in the vehicle - while they may be equipped with seatbelts, don't have to pass the same standards in regards to anchorage locations/reinforcement/load bearing requirements.

Rear facing and side facing seats are a no-no.

So I guess what I'd be looking in to would be checking the number of forward facing seats with seat belts, and exactly how the seatbelts in the back of the unit are anchored. Maybe some manufacturers choose to follow FMVSS/CMVSS rules in all seating locations and maybe some don't?

Best of luck with what you decide to do. I don't think there are any easy answers when it comes to kids and RV's.

maipenrai

Senior Community Member
Hmmmm.....good point about the loose items flying around the RV.

I know you're not supposed to do rearfacing or sidefacing seats. I absolutely would not install seats on the sideways couch. I just asked since I was asking all the other questions anyhow. But I haven't found a model yet with more than one forward facing seat....they're always two captains chairs facing each other at a table. I didn't like the idea of putting DS on the rearfacing seat, and I was wondering if other techs felt the same. I'm glad to know that I'm not being ridiculous for hesitating on this.

We'd love to do the class A, but especially with all of you backing up my concerns I think we'll probably end up with a fifth wheel.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah, no way would I ever put a seat on a RF vehicle seat. Especially not in a motor home. Last year my IL's drove their RV to Disneyland from AZ and thought I was ridiculous that we rented a car since I wouldn't let my kids ride in the RV. They have tons of projectiles, including TV's, knives, etc :eek: not to mention all the unrestrained adults.

TXAggieTech

DH and I discused this at length and decided on the 5th wheel, because I'm not comfortable putting child seats in a Class A.

No, you can't put car seats on rear-facing captain's chairs or side-facing benches.

I would really like a Class A but we went with a pull behind for reason #1 of car seats.

Don't ask your salesman, they don't know. They may pretend to know, most will just look at you like you are crazy if you question the safety of the other belts. They will say of course they are crash tested, and most of them probably believe they are.

Look at Forest River XLRs. That is what we have and I love it. No regrets!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Have you considered the convenience factor of being able to park the RV and take just the truck for short trips?

"Honey, I just realized we're out of milk, toilet paper, and diapers."

"I just got this monstrous thing parked and hooked up!"

"Well hop on your bike and ride five miles in the rain to that gas station we passed on the way in!" ;)

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I think they were planning on towing the Pontiac Vibe, which would satisfy that need, Debbie.

But, I'd still go w/ a 5th wheel. :love:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think they were planning on towing the Pontiac Vibe, which would satisfy that need, Debbie.

But, I'd still go w/ a 5th wheel. :love:

:doh: I swear I read the whole post! It must've been the shiny picture distracting me!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC