Some "news" from Transport Canada and Health Canadian

Lea_Ontario

This was in response to an email I sent Transport Canada - basically asking why Canada was so behind in realizing that children are still children even past the magic weight of 48lbs and when something was going to be done to allow child restraints to be certified to a higher weight.

Mostly I got a bunch of form mail about checking stickers, etc. But this was at the end - bolding mine

The definitions for an infant and a child were originally developed in collaboration with Health Canada. However, you may be interested to know that the department is currently in the process of reviewing many aspects of the regulations, in order to include performance requirements for harnessed restraint systems that can accommodate larger children as you mentioned.

We trust the foregoing is helpful and we thank you for your interest in road safety.

Regulations Officer
Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate

ADS

smurf

Hmmmm, very interesting!

Maybe higher-weight seats will be used to the same limit as in the US (MA, Radian, etc).

Very promising, I'm glad you enquired, and I hope these new rules come into effect in 2012!

Lea_Ontario

2maybe3 said:
Very promising, I'm glad you enquired, and I hope these new rules come into effect in 2012!

I hope they amount to SOMETHING to begin with - since it doesn't say that the regulations are changing, just "under review".

And *IF* they do change - I hope it happens a LOT sooner than 2012 !!

Of course, I'm bias - I have a 38lb 4-yr old who I cannot see sitting still in just a seat-belt in the forseeable future. The thought of him passing the current 48-lb mark here in Canada scares the bejiggers out of me !

smurf

Most kids' weight gain tends to slow down right about that age. You might see that going from 38 to 48 lbs may take several years...

I also hope the new rules will take effect soon. I see so many kids at my daycare in my daughter's age group (3) who are in boosters and shouldn't be.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC