Need double jogging stroller - have new info

Hollyob

I wanted to start a new thread because I have been reading the old threads on double baby joggers and have new info and questions.

Here are our needs/stats:
used mainly for fast walking (me) on straight and flat sidewalks, but occasional jogging (DH) on them too
possibly used occasionally in snow
zoo, arboretum, or other big trips
no trail running
rarely put in car (Focus wagon)
rarely or never used indoors
younger DS is 20 months so should fit any fine
older DS is 5 years old, 43" and ~42lbs. For fast walks, he will have to ride but for zoo or similar he may jump in and out
I guess it goes without saying that it *has* to be comfortable, esp for older DS. He hasn't ridden in a stroller for ages, but he will have to once I start my baby-weight-losing walking regimen (wish me luck!)
I am 5'9" and DH is 6'
some amount of recline would be nice
quite happy to buy used if in good shape
child snack tray is not essential (can probably buy something if stroller doesn't have it)
parent tray would be nice but I could forgo that too
sunshade is not too important as it's pretty shady around here

any other info I should post?

For jogging, we must have or should have a hand brake?

I am uncertain about the wheel size and swivel vs fixed wheel. Looking at http://www.joggingstroller.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=how-to-choose#ws
it would seem we would do fine with 12" swivel wheel(s), as DH would be doing "occasional jogging," not "heavy running." It seems getting a swivel that can lock would be the best of both worlds since it will mainly be used by me. What do you think?

I think our upper limit is about $250 (but maybe higher if it's an awesome stroller)

This is what I'm seeing right now on returnsforsale, CL and ebay. I don't expect everyone to scrutinize these and give detailed feedback, but please tell me if any of these jumps out at you as really good for my needs or really bad for my needs.

new Schwinn Free Wheeler St - $207
new Schwinn Free Wheeler AL 2 - $166
new Schwinn SC801 Wheeler ST - $264
various other new Schwinns in our price range
new InSTEP Ultra Runner 2 - $197
(new?) InStep Run Around LTD 2 - $220
many, many new InStep Safaris - $170-$210 (ebay)
used InStep Safari 2 w/Kiddopotamus UV Canopy - $200
used BOB Sport Utility - $250 (going to check it out on Sat)
used BOB Sport Utility - $265 (prob the same)
used BOB Ironman - $250+
used Dreamer Design Ditto - $275
XTERRA 2in1 DELUXE DOUBLE TRAILER/JOGGER - $239
used Mountain Buggy Urban Double, 3-4 years old, fair to good cond - $145

should we consider SafeTech or BabyTrend?

Also, we have a single Baby Jogger that is in great shape. It was bought new in 2004. What do you think we might get for it on CL/ebay?

And, finally, I only just realized that I can add rep. I guess I thought that I couldn't because . . . well, I don't know why. Because I am not at the senior level? Can't access some of the forums? I don't know, just because I am fringe-y and don't post much. Anyway, now that I know I can, I will.

Thanks sooooo much for the help.

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

If you can find an older bob duallie (the sus with the fixed wheel would be better suited for jogging because of the hand brake) that has a bit of a taller seat back because of when they changed the recline for 2007. But it may also be wider, over 32 inches. I have comparison pics of the older wider 2005 bob duallies sus, and the newer 2007 revolution duallie, complete with my then 4 year, 42+pound 42 +inches, dd who had already outgrown a marathon at 3.5. I had no problem getting the sus to turn, it is a fabulously balanced stroller, even with kids in it, that it was real easy, even to lift the front up.

Now, the revolution does make up for the no hand brake by looping the tether into the foot brake, so that if you were to fall, and were holding the tether like you should, it pulls the brake on.

You may also want to look at older baby joggers, since I think they have the tallest seat backs.

wanted to add, the ironman would be a fabulous deal, but may be more stroller than you need since it is made for running and has the huge wheels for that.

AlishaNC82

I have a Valco Twin Roundabout and it is wonderful. It has two front wheels that can be fixed or swiveled. They normally run about $650 but I found mine on Craigslist for $100.

I would really recommend getting a used nicer stroller. You will probably spend less than you would on a new cheaper brand and it will last longer. Most of the higher end brands are made to last and outlive their usefulness of a family in most instances so you can get a great stroller for a ton off retail.

Hollyob

If you can find an older bob duallie (the sus with the fixed wheel would be better suited for jogging because of the hand brake) that has a bit of a taller seat back because of when they changed the recline for 2007.

I don't know the year of any of the SUSs I've seen, but maybe one of them is older.

You may also want to look at older baby joggers, since I think they have the tallest seat backs.
I think I saw one on ebay, but of course they also didn't list the year. I'll see if I can find it again and post the picture.

I have a Valco Twin Roundabout and it is wonderful. It has two front wheels that can be fixed or swiveled. They normally run about $650 but I found mine on Craigslist for $100.

I would really recommend getting a used nicer stroller.

So by this, do you mean avoiding Schwinn/InStep, BabyTrend, and SafeTech (would be fine by me b/c it would help narrow the list)?
Haven't seen any Valcos but I'll keep my eyes open.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I would avoid the schwinn, instep, only because they have very short seatbacks. My dd was too tall at 2.5, her head was above the seat back in the schwinn. Now the bob, she rode in that until well past 4, and like I said, huge torso;)

Hollyob

So the BOB SUS I was supposed to look at this morning sold on Thurs. :(

There is nothing good on my local CL right now, and only a few things on ebay. That Ironman is still there, plus a BJ City Classic Double (highest bid is $200 but reserve not met, probably will go out of our price range), and an Xterra trailer/jogger. Anyone know anything about the Xterra?

lovinwaves

If you are wanting to do some jogging, BUT must have the option to have the front wheel swivel, then the only stroller I would recommend is the BOB. The reason I say this is because when the front wheel locks, it locks FORWARD. This will give the stroller more stability, and give your kids a nice ride. BOB, also has the option to tweak the front wheel if it starts to veer one way or the other.

BOB, is a well builty, high quality stroller with good customer service. Whatever you buy used, well plan on getting that or at least 90% of the money back when you are done with it.

Some of the cheaper strollers are not going to have high seatbacks.

Some of the cheaper strollers could eventually start veering one way or the other, with no option like the BOB to correct it.

The bigger the wheel, the better for jogging.

Whenever you are doing a fast walk or jog...ALWAYS ALWAYS be sure and have the leash on your wrist. :)

lovinwaves

I just looked at it online and see it has gotten mostly good reviews (seems the bad reviews were about the wheel problems which have been fixed). Is it really suitable for jogging though?

I would not jog with that stroller. :twocents:

Also, the Valcos are not for jogging. I would put those at the bottom of your list.

Have you checked out the Baby Jogger "TRUE" joggers? If I was going to be jogging, these are the strollers I would be looking at: http://babyjogger.com/performancemain.htm

Even some of those older Baby Joggers you see on Craigslist would be AWESOME for what you are needing :)

Hollyob

If you are wanting to do some jogging, BUT must have the option to have the front wheel swivel, then the only stroller I would recommend is the BOB. The reason I say this is because when the front wheel locks, it locks FORWARD. This will give the stroller more stability, and give your kids a nice ride. BOB, also has the option to tweak the front wheel if it starts to veer one way or the other.

BOB, is a well builty, high quality stroller with good customer service. Whatever you buy used, well plan on getting that or at least 90% of the money back when you are done with it.
I do keep coming back to BOBs and Baby Joggers.
Some of the cheaper strollers are not going to have high seatbacks.

good to know.

Whenever you are doing a fast walk or jog...ALWAYS ALWAYS be sure and have the leash on your wrist. :)

Yes, this I plan to do.

I would not jog with that stroller. :twocents:
Also, the Valcos are not for jogging. I would put those at the bottom of your list.

also good to know.

Have you checked out the Baby Jogger "TRUE" joggers? If I was going to be jogging, these are the strollers I would be looking at: http://babyjogger.com/performancemain.htm

Here's the thing with the jogging: it will mainly be me using the stroller for fast walking. However, DH (who used to be a serious runner) *says* he's going to start running again and wants to be able to run with whatever double we get. However, I'm skeptical. MIL bought us a new Baby Jogger (she got some amazing deal) when our older son was born and it didn't see a lot of use. I find it hard to believe that DH is now going to make a habit of bringing BOTH boys on regular jogs. However, since he says he wants to, I have to be sure to get something that will meet his needs too. The way I look at it is that I should find something that is very good for fast walking, and make sure it is suitable (but not necessarily awesome) for jogging too. I don't think he will pay for awesome. ;)
Even some of those older Baby Joggers you see on Craigslist would be AWESOME for what you are needing :)

That would be great.

THANK YOU!!!

Hollyob

So it turns out the BOB Ironman double that expires in 2 days is actually a SUS. She made a mistake in listing it. She says it's from 2007/2008. I emailed her to ask about the seat height b/c I wouldn't be able to try my son in it 1st, of course. I feel quite confident about the *quality* of a BOB, I just want to be sure my son would fit.

The other option is a BJ City Classic Mini Double, which I gather wouldn't be *great* for jogging b/c of the 12" swivel wheels. Would it be awful? Would it fit into "very good for fast walking and suitable (but not necessarily awesome) for jogging?" She said her 6-year-old fits in it and it expires in 19 hours.

I soooo wish I could have tried out that SUS this morning. I'd have been very happy to get it for $250 and not deal with the uncertainty of auctions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC