OT, but I figured as good a place as any to ask..

Tara

Bike helmet expiration?
You'd think, since car seats are good for 6 yrs or so (depending on the manufacturer and all that...had to include a disclaimer LOL Tiff is good at catching those ;) ) because the materials degrade with time...the same would apply to bike helmets, correct?

Sounds logical enough, right?
Well, *is* there an expiration period for bike helmets? Anyone know? It's not mentioned on the helmet or package. I did a quick look online the other day but only found for motorcycle helmets, which was 5 yrs btw, but nothing specifically for bicycle helmets. Just in case there would be a difference.

I'm interested in the full face gear BMX racing helmets to be more specific, again, if that makes a difference.
My son has recently taken up BMX racing so we got him a helmet. I'd like to know how many years of use we can expect out of it (provided no major crashes/abuse). They're not exactly cheap, ya know ;)

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Lol!

I've had the same thought & I'm not really sure because ours are just EPS foam, not the plastic of carseats.... Still, once the EPS looks dented & it's gone through a few kids I consider it expired anyway :eek:

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I found that it depends on the manufacturer. Bell says something like 3 years and Giro says 5-6 years. Of course, if the helmet has been subjected to any impacts or has visible damage, replace it.

I recently got back into mountain biking and figured I should replace my 11 year old helmet :) I still haven't brought myself to trash it.

Bummer that there aren't as many full helmets as there are "brain buckets". I got my helmet for $30 on sale! Other helmets are totally not cheap :(

skaterbabs

I remember when we bought our helmets YEARS ago they said to replace them after 3 years. We tossed the old ones but haven't gotten new ones - as a result the kids have outgrown brand new bikes because they didn't have helmets so couldn't ride. :(

Tara

3 years eh? Oh boy...hubby's gonna *love* hearing that one LOL

I'm off to see what I can find out about those pricier ones. Oh boy do I ever hope they'll get more than 3 yrs *eek* This one was $40, just a Bell, full face from WalMart. I'll look at the FLY fancy, schmancy ones, see if I can find anything out. I'm on a BMX surfing frenzy anywho hehe
I wanna race too *Pout sniff* (ok, well, I probably won't once I take a lap around the track at a good pace, but anyway LOL)

Lys

Senior Community Member
skaterbabscpst said:
Try http://www.prorider.com/outlet/index.php they have all sorts of bike helmets and booster seats.

I found this FAQ in the link above about replacing bike helmets.
HTH
You must replace the helmet after any crash where your head hit. The foam part is made for one time use, and after crushing once it is no longer as protective as it was, even if it still looks intact. Plastic shells can hide the foam damage. A few helmets made of EPP foam do recover. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer for an inspection. If your helmet is more than 10 years old or has a cloth cover, we recommend that you replace it. Many manufacturers recommend replacement every five years, but some of that is just marketing. Deterioration depends on usage, care, and abuse. If you ride thousands of miles every year, five years may be right

flipper68

Senior Community Member
ALSO, Now is the time to shop for bike stuff. Summer is over, so the stores are clearing out their inventory.

I was thinking 3 years too, so it's good to know I've got another couple, since I've finally found a lid that's comfortable. [I crashed on inline skates - literally hit the wall. . .and it took 3 tries to get my present one] I think 10 is WAY to long. The way I sweat, the thing would have grown legs to pedal the bike in 10 years. I've been able to wring out the strap after a couple of rides this summer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC