Vivo vs Monterey

MonsterMom6

I'd like to hear pros and cons and overall impression of Monterey and Vivo, especially if you have experience with both. I've been on the site for the last few days, have seen a friend's Montereys IRL, and tried them in my van and on one of my 6 year olds. I see where many of you are recommending the Vivo, too. I may have missed a thread that compares the two seats, so please just point me to it if there is one. Oh, and throw in your ideas on Vivo vs Vivo Lite.

I'm loving the Monterey, although I still need to "fit" my oldest. These would be primary seats for around town and roadtrips for four 6.5 year olds and one 8 year old.

My van seatbelts are a bit "quirky" because of the angle where they are anchored (I have big a$$ conversion van). The angle of the belt guide seems to be the key in proper fit, too. I didn't seem to be fighting the vehicle belt when pulling it out with the Monterey, like we do with a Parkway, Turbo, and to a lesser degree the Evenflo Confidence. Because of the fit of the vehicle belt (it even hits me wrong) my kids will likely be in HBB for a very long time.

I'm still trying to get measurements for all my critters, and may post in more detail later, but at this point I think I'm looking at these 2 seats. I don't think I'll be able to wait until the Britax "mystery seat" is revealed.

Thanks again for all the advice. I refer people often and know I can count on everyone here.

ADS

ginny4

i have the monterey. its got nice deep headwings, side wings (adjustable width) & a deep seat. very cozy. my 9.75yo really likes it.
from my understanding the monterey will fit a lil but longer than the vivo. & the vivo is skinnier overall so it can be too narrow for some children. teh seating depth is short comapred to the monterey too.
it really depends ont he size of your kids whether they will find the seat comfortable. the monterey more for the bigger kids (wide shoulders & long legs), the vivo more for the skinnier/petite kid

2nd

If you have the seat room I would go for the Monterey. It will last you longer. I have been trying all seats out b/c of trying to get 3 across. For me the Monterey wouldn't work but we LOVED the quality of the seat. My DS thought it was comfy but he is petite so it didn't fit him as well he is 48 lbs and 48" inches tall. The Vivo fits him better and he thinks it is comfy. THE PAIN about the Vivo is how the armrest-where the buckle goes through is tough if you have a tight space like us with seats all next to each other tightly. I have to scoot him out and in to buckle it.

I just got a Parkway today (YIPPEE) and DS says it is more comfy than the Vivo and there are no arm rests to mess with. I haven't tried it in the car yet but everyone on here says its easier to buckle with no armrests.

Parkways are next to difficult to find. I did tons of internet searches and store calling.

Maybe order from a store/online site that allows free or cheap returns. That way you can try them out. Every kid is different for size and fit and your car will make a difference too.

GL

I tried the Vivo, the Monterey, the Parkway, and the Graco Turbo booster.

christineka

I have a vivo and love it, but if I had the space and the funds I'd buy the monterey instead. The monterey adjusts to 22 inches tall in the torso, is latcheable, and becomes a backless booster. I think (but not sure) that there is more seat depth than the vivo. The seat is width adjustable. The bigness of the seat comes from the massive side wings. I'm afraid those side wings are just not going to fit in my van. I'd be interested in buying the monterey backless in a few years though.

The vivo has no latch, does not become backless, and has a really short seat depth. My dd hasn't complained yet.

I like both the seats for their sip, which I like when I stick my kids next to windows, but also for sleeping.

MonsterMom6

So after posting this, a bunch of threads with the same title (or similar) came up at the bottom (love that feature of this site:thumbsup:). Very helpful, especially the side-by-side pictures. Thanks to all for the replies so far. I was hoping not to be redundant but couldn't find it all in a nutshell.

I'm thinking the short depth of the Vivo won't work well for my crew. My DS and one DD already are uncomfortable with the Parkway we have, due to seat depth. Four of my five are long legged. Only 1 is normally proportioned. She can use the Parkway right now.

I don't NEED to do 3 across in my conversion van, but want to be able to put a HBB in the center position with a KidY86 for ride sharing/carpool. I think there is actually enough room with the Monterey wings set narrow to do so. I'll have to try it out, but do have other narrower boosters that should work in a pinch.

So, now I'm really looking for impressions after you've used them both. I know the dimensions. I'd like to know what you love, hate, what's a hassle. My comparisons are a Turbo, a Parkway, and Evenflo Confidence. I know how I feel about them.....thus this question. I have 5 kids that need to get buckled in and I'd like to just double-check.

Oh, and "cush" factor on the Vivo versus the Monterey.

I do want to try 3 across the back in DH's Odyssey, but that's another issue...for another day.....and another thread.

Thanks

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC