Installing a Keyfit without the base

tny915

Can you share some tips on how to get a good install with just the seatbelt for the Keyfit? We're travelling next week and will be riding in airport shuttle vans. I'm supposed to lock the seatbelt, right? I practiced a couple times in my car, but the bucket feels wobbly.

ADS

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
KF22 or KF 30? (the only difference is that with the 22, I think you need to peel back the carseat cover to expose the belt path).

Definitely lock the seatbelt. Have you tried some pool noodles or a rolled towel to help keep the seat level? Where is it wobbly? Make sure that you are only checking at the belt path.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mainly you want to just get the lapbelt really tight while having the recline angle about 45 degrees. And then lock the shoulderbelt (unless the belt has a locking latchplate, if the shoulderbelt doesn't lock, the lapbelt portion does).

It WILL feel wobbly, but the main thing to check for is that the seat can't be pushed down if you push on the top of it. It may flip up and back pretty easily (weird and disconcerting, but it's just called 'cocooning' and it's not dangerous), but you don't want it to push down toward the front of the car (because that would allow too much force on the shoulders and possible ejection).

Edit, oops, too slow :D

tny915

It's a Keyfit 30. I'll try again tonight and see where it wobbles. I know that part of it was due to my car having leather seats, so I felt like the Keyfit was just sliding around. Is it best to install the carseat without baby first? I'm used to climbing in seats while tightening the belt, which is what I do with the FF carseats we have (Nautilus, Radian, our old Roundabouts) but the Keyfit's so tiny I didn't think to try.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC