Nautilus in booster mode

diaperjoys

For you Nautilus users, do you plan to use it in booster mode too, or will you discontinue use once the harness is outgrown and get a dedicated booster?

We have one GN, and we like it as a harnessed seat, but I'm not certain about using it in booster mode. I tried my oldest son in it today (5.5yo, 40 lbs) The seat belt came very nicely over his shoulder, not at all on his neck. But I'm less certain about the fit across the lap. The belt did not lay flat on his thighs. Nor did it ride up all the way on his belly. It laid at a 45 degree angle, one edge of the belt on his thighs, one edge higher, at pelvis level. Does this sound like a good fit? Is there another booster we should consider when the time comes? He's not ready for a booster yet, but we're seat shuffling again, and our long term plan for the GN influences how many of them I want to own.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I HAD planned to use it as a booster, but I let dd try it out yesterday fo rthe first time and it did not fit the lap portion well at all. now...that might change in a couple years, when she outgrows the harness and is a much bigger child..but right now, I was not happy with the fit at all.
at this point, i am going to say that I think we will hand down the GN as a harnessed HWH seat for ds, and get dd a new booster when it is time.

mommaon112903

We are planning on buying a dedicated booster for Josef as well. We tried him in the GN in booster mode and needless to say we were not impressed at all with it :( Josef will be out of his GN before his sixth b-day (in late November) so as soon as Britax releases the new Parkway, it is ours :D

firemomof3

Same here. I sold my dd1 gn because it didn't fit her in booster mode well at all (sorry I didn't get pictures :() So I sold it and bought her a monterey which I :love:

abckidsmom

My oldest dd rides in a turbo booster as her regular seat, but sometimes uses her sister's nautilus as a HBB if we have a bunch of kids along that need HBBs. She's exceptionally tall and thin (I don't know her measurem nts, but she's really long-torsoed, and stands about a head taller than most 7 yos).

I love the fit of the nautilus on her in our van (a Ford e350 12 pass van) but not in dh's subaru. I have no idea what the difference is, but that's how it is. It's like a pp said, 45 degree angle, but clearly on her thighs/hips and not on her belly at all.

I don't think I'd use it as an everyday booster, but if it fit like this and $$ was an issue, I wouldn't have a problem with using it. It's just harder for her to get herself buckled up.

ETA: Didn't realize I didn't have her specs in my siggy...she's just turned 6, 55 lbs or so, and about 52" I think. Not sure. Just imagine super lanky.

NannyMom

J will use the GN as a booster in his Mom's van (as long as it fits him properly). In my van, I haven't decided yet. I will either use it, or a Vivo. I so love my Vivo.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't HATE it as a booster, but I don't love it either. I'll probably leave it in husband's car as a booster -- she rides in that car rarely, but we like to keep a seat installed just in case. When I'm ready (soon, soon, don't rush me, daughter!) to have her boostered full-time in my car, I'll probably choose something else.

SPJ&E

We'll be using it in booster mode in one vehicle (and buying a booster of some sort for my car) once the harness is outgrown. I tried Pacey out in it, just to see how he would fit and I thought it looked good. The lap portion might have been a bit too high (it WAS on his hip bones, touching his thighs slightly). He's only 4 now though and he'll easily get to 6 harnessed in it...so he's got plenty of time to grow and fit even better.

Last edited:

fyrfightermomma

I actually thought the fit was decent on my 3 year old (no I won't be putting my 3 year old in a booster). As she gets bigger I just see it fitting better. Only time will tell. I have no problem using it as a booster if it continues to fit like that.

I think it fits them fine in booster mode(I tried my 6 year old, 6 year old daycare girl and 4 year old son(though he would never ride in it in booster mode for a long time).

I am keeping it for booster mode too. :)

U

Unregistered1

It depends on the kid, but if A doesn't fit into it like she does in the turbobooster, where I think the fit is excellent, when she outgrows the harness, I will be giving the Nautilii to someone in need of a HWH and picking up another turbobooster. M did not fit well in the GN as a booster. The turbobooster and the Frontier were both much better.

It is important for me to say that I don't hate the nautilus as a booster either. It's a much nicer booster than say the Chase or the Cargo. A simple structural change to the arm rests would probably make it perfect. If a child came through a seat check in a GN in booster mode, I'd be ecstatic. It's not perfect, but it's better than what I usually see. I'm just a pathological overachiever :p

scoutingbear

We will be using it for booster mode. I actually like the way that A fits in the GN better than his turbo. We have used the GN twice in booster when we didn't have time to switch the harness on his brother's seat (long story...) so we uninstalled and boostered him and I thought he fit very well in it (besides, he does not like the cupholders on the turbo nearly as well as the GN :rolleyes: )

abacus2

I like the fit of the Nautilus in booster mode, but it's become a secondary seat because of its width.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I might use it as a booster in DH's car, but that really depends on if we'll be needing to do 3 across in the future. It fits DS pretty well right now (he's still harnessed though) and I think the fit will only get better as he gets bigger. I'm sure I'll buy some dedicated booster (probably the monterey) in my car when he outgrows the nautilus harness.

Splash

No, but not because I don't like it as a booster. I have no need to use it as a booster. By the time Charlie outgrows the harness, Sam will probably have outgrown the BV (or close to, or it being close to expiring), and I'll just put Sam in it and buy Charlie something else. I also don't really plan on using the FN as a booster, even if it rocks the booster world. Seeing the holes for the harness would do me in.

Maedze

No, we are just going to keep handing it down as a HWH seat. By the time my last child outgrows it as a harnessed seat, it will have reached the end of its expiry for that, and we will use it as a spare backless for the next three years.

Bean the First will probably end up in a Monterey when he outgrows the Nauti in harness mode.

valleyfam

We won't be using it as a booster either mostly because it will be passed down as HWH to younger sib. I doubt I'd ever use it as a full time booster probably just as a back up booster if I only had one child.

Did I miss something? Britax is revising the Parkway? I knew it was discontinued but did not know it was coming back. I love our Parkway. Even though it is a rare ride in dh's truck right now it fits great (5.5 yo 54lb) and I love the way it seems to cradle him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC