pool safety

melaniev

being that we're all slight safety nuts here, i figure im not alone in the pool safety issue. pools really worry me especially with an extremely hyperactive little one who can't swim well yet. (need to work on that). pool playdates sometimes become a total nightmare with her repeatedly jumping in unprepared for the deep water beneath her, and not learning from the last time she was pulled up gasping.

here are my main concerns:
-(obviously) drowning
-drinking large amounts of less-than-drinking-quality water
-not yet potty trained kids sharing the pool. swimming is a form of community bathing, and this i think is just gross.

We're going to Disney world and on a cruise to the bahamas next week and the pool is one of my MANY worries at this time. (ok, plane a little more ... topic for another day!) any reassurance or suggestions appreciated.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Pools worry me a little bit too. I am *hypervigilant* around pools with little ones. I could probably be accused of being TOO protective, but whatever.

Regarding the potty training issue: As long as children are wearing properly-fitting swim diapers, solid waste cannot get into the pool. The same cannot be said for urine. Urine can escape from the swim diaper VERY easily. I try to think of it this way: The chlorine in the pool will kill any germs, so I shouldn't be too worried about urine in the pool. :rolleyes:

Have fun on your cruise!

melaniev

thanks! ... not to be the bearer of bad news ... but it takes several hours for bacteria to be killed by chlorine. it keeps the pool from turning green from algae and large amounts of bacteria, but will not kill bacteria from fecal matter quickly enough for it to prevent illness. and while solid waste will not escape from a swim diaper, let's just say waste of other consistency will, and THAT's the one you need to worry about. :(
urine, fortunately, is sterile and not a concern.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Bring a Coast Guard-certified life jacket (they call them personal flotation devices now ;) ) for her. They're on sale now since it's the end of the season, so you should find a good deal, but they're not expensive to begin with--less than $25. If you can't find one at Target, etc., a sports store will have one.

I'm with you on the public bathing aspect, lol. I took my kids to a public pool a few weeks ago and we were having fun, then I took some time to lounge back in the shallow end and noticed that the adults were just sitting there swishing their arms around and I got kind of grossed out. So I had to go back to playing to forget about it :D.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
murphydog77 said:
Bring a Coast Guard-certified life jacket (they call them personal flotation devices now ;) ) for her. They're on sale now since it's the end of the season, so you should find a good deal, but they're not expensive to begin with--less than $25. If you can't find one at Target, etc., a sports store will have one.

I wish I had known that Target sold life jackets! Granted, I needed a SUPER-DUPER life jacket for my nieces, so they may not have had the appropriate ones for my application. This Lil' Legends PFD is what we have for my niece. Unfortunately, they are expensive... about $57/each.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC