cute carseats

JamieB

If the absolute only thing you cared about when picking out your carseat was what it looked like, and you wanted something really girlie and cute, which one would you choose? Doesn't matter if it didn't even pass one safety test (I know they all do, lol), only the pattern matters. Are there very many cute ones to choose from here in Canada? Either convertible or forward facing/booster. Thanks!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ashley Floral MA, princess Radian, the Monet True Fit , and the Carolina (I think that's the pattern name?) updated 3in1 is also nice depending on how you define cute and girl. (It's chocolate brown and pinks)

Pepse

I love the Monet Cover for the True fit and :love: my Princess Radian Cover

True Fit, Britax and Sunshine Radian are all great seats and pretty too

See this was my car seat makover

guesswho005.jpg

guesswho010.jpg

canadiangie

I think the TrueFit Monet is the cutest.

I have an Ashley Floral Marathon, another Marathon with an Olivia replacement cover on it, and a Princess Radian. I also have a Shannon Boulevard cover coming any day now (for the Boulevard I haven't bought yet, but am ordering any day now :whistle:).

I'm all about girlie. ;) :love:

dragonfly8

I have 3 boys..............
BOOOOOOOOOI!

Could they not come up with a cool boy pattern though?

I mean come on. What are they thinking????::whistle:

JamieB

Thanks everyone. I was thinking of the True Fit but I already told this peeson how much I hate it so I doubt she would go for it.

So I was thinking, she can't find the one she wants here which is a pink or girly Boulevard. Can she order a neutral BLVD and then a seperate cover?

Also, are there any carseats in Canada that you can use for FFing at 20lbs instead of 22? My friend's DD is only 18lbs....:(

canmom

Seperate covers can be put used so long as the come from the manufacturer and are mad for that particular model.

Why would she want to turn her forward facing? The bare min of the law is 1yr and 20lbs. It is recommended by technicians and many other organzations that children remain in a rear facing restraint until they reach the limits of that restraint by weight, which currently is 30-35lbs, or they no longer have 1" of hard shell above their head. Research shows, children are 5 times safer rearfacing in a collision. Please check out Why Rearfacing is Safest on this website.

ETA: How old is the child?

canadiangie

Thanks everyone. I was thinking of the True Fit but I already told this peeson how much I hate it so I doubt she would go for it.

So I was thinking, she can't find the one she wants here which is a pink or girly Boulevard. Can she order a neutral BLVD and then a seperate cover?

Also, are there any carseats in Canada that you can use for FFing at 20lbs instead of 22? My friend's DD is only 18lbs....:(

No, Britax will not sell a girly pattern Boulevard cover to someone in Canada. I've phoned a few times now to check, and each time the answer has been no. The way I'm getting mine is through a private swap/trade here on c-s.org with an American poster who has a Shannon cover but needed something different. I was extremely lucky to have this opportunity. :eek:

As for her turning her baby at age 1, if that's the case, then I'd suggest the Princess Radian (assuming it installs well in her vehicle).

Ideally she'll leave her rear facing until she reaches 30lbs (or at least until she's age 2), and like pp mentioned, please pass the 'Why Rear Facing is so Important' link on to your friend.

But if rf is just not going to happen, the Radian does have a load limiting device (SafeStop) which will provide a small measure of enhanced protection for a ff 1y/o.

That said, the Radian has a 22lb ff limit. :)

JamieB

Seperate covers can be put used so long as the come from the manufacturer and are mad for that particular model.

Why would she want to turn her forward facing? The bare min of the law is 1yr and 20lbs. It is recommended by technicians and many other organzations that children remain in a rear facing restraint until they reach the limits of that restraint by weight, which currently is 30-35lbs, or they no longer have 1" of hard shell above their head. Research shows, children are 5 times safer rearfacing in a collision. Please check out Why Rearfacing is Safest on this website.

ETA: How old is the child?

I know all the recommendations and my DS will be rfing to the limit of his seats. She doesn't care and i've already spent way too much time and energy trying to get her to care. All that matters is that the seat is cute. My friend's mom told her that her DD will break her legs in her SafeSeat so she's getting her a new one. Oh and she's 13 months old. She's been turned around in another vehicle for a couple months now.

:happy-wavehello: I personally love the seat!

OP, what was it that you didn't like? It can be a little tricky, seems like every seat out there has something that makes them difficult sometimes.

I can't seem to get it installed tight enough. I'm using latch in an 03 Impala. I'm also kinda worried that he may be sitting up too much. I will probably post a pic of that later. Oh and of course it is impossible to loosen and tighten the harness.

No, Britax will not sell a girly pattern Boulevard cover to someone in Canada. I've phoned a few times now to check, and each time the answer has been no. The way I'm getting mine is through a private swap/trade here on c-s.org with an American poster who has a Shannon cover but needed something different. I was extremely lucky to have this opportunity. :eek:

As for her turning her baby at age 1, if that's the case, then I'd suggest the Princess Radian (assuming it installs well in her vehicle).

Ideally she'll leave her rear facing until she reaches 30lbs (or at least until she's age 2), and like pp mentioned, please pass the 'Why Rear Facing is so Important' link on to your friend.

But if rf is just not going to happen, the Radian does have a load limiting device (SafeStop) which will provide a small measure of enhanced protection for a ff 1y/o.

That said, the Radian has a 22lb ff limit. :)

Thanks for filling me in. I thought they'd send the covers here for sure. I'll suggest the Radian. I've already sent her that video too, but thanks a lot.

sparkyd

Why would she want to turn her forward facing? The bare min of the law is 1yr and 20lbs.

Isn't the Canadian minimum 1 year AND 22 lbs?

If your friend's daughter is only 18 lbs, then it is not legal for her to be riding forward facing, both because of the law (whether it is 20 lbs or 22 lbs) and for proper use of the carseat.

A question for others about the "law" in Canada. At what level is the weight limit a law? Is it federal through TC, or province by province? I was just trying to find something on this myself, and on the Ontario Ministry of Transportation site they say that the law is a minimum of 20 lbs (no mention of age), and that it is "best to use [a RF seat] until at least one year old and a minimum of of 10 kg (22 lb)."

I'm confused. I'm taking a tech course in 3 weeks, so I guess I'll get straightened out then, but I'm curious in the meantime!

canmom

If your friend's daughter is only 18 lbs, then it is not legal for her to be riding forward facing, both because of the law (whether it is 20 lbs or 22 lbs) and for proper use of the carseat.

A question for others about the "law" in Canada. At what level is the weight limit a law? Is it federal through TC, or province by province? I was just trying to find something on this myself, and on the Ontario Ministry of Transportation site they say that the law is a minimum of 20 lbs (no mention of age), and that it is "best to use [a RF seat] until at least one year old and a minimum of of 10 kg (22 lb)."

The laws are provincial... I believe the min in all is 20lbs but some provinces have a proper use law (Alberta is one of them), meaning if you choose a restraint that says "must be 1yr and 22lbs" then you must follow that. Also, some don't state an age min but if there is one on the seat (99% of the time there is) then that must be followed.

I know all the recommendations and my DS will be rfing to the limit of his seats. She doesn't care and i've already spent way too much time and energy trying to get her to care. All that matters is that the seat is cute. My friend's mom told her that her DD will break her legs in her SafeSeat so she's getting her a new one. Oh and she's 13 months old. She's been turned around in another vehicle for a couple months now.

I guess thats unfortunate, but she should know she is still breaking the law at this point. Legs hitting the seat is not a safety concern, turning rfing to soon is very dangerous.

I can't seem to get it installed tight enough. I'm using latch in an 03 Impala. I'm also kinda worried that he may be sitting up too much. I will probably post a pic of that later. Oh and of course it is impossible to loosen and tighten the harness.

It should be able to be tightned, older children can be more upright than 45degrees. I think the TruFit allows up to 35degrees. The TruFit has one continuous harness so you don't need to loosen and tighten it every time. I will go find another post that explains how to use the continuous harness... I'm not so good at explaining it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Funny thing is, she likely doesn't even need a new seat at this time. If she has a SafeSeat, I'd bet her 13 month, 18 pound baby still fits! My DD used it until 21 months and my DD was in the 65% percentile for height/weight. Most kids fit easily until 18 months and some until well over age two!

canmom

OP, do you still have the TuFit? Where are you located.... there me be a tech that could meet you in person and help you install it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

I'm confused. I'm taking a tech course in 3 weeks, so I guess I'll get straightened out then, but I'm curious in the meantime!

TC doesn't regulate what the law is, they are responsible for setting the standards that child restraint system manufacturers must meet, and they give a minimum requirement that provinces must incorporate into their laws. The provinces are individually responsible for determining the legislation and for enforcement of the legislation. CMVSS allows restraints to be labelled for ff'ing use at 20lbs, so in the case of a restraint with a minimum ff'ing weight limit of 20lbs it is legal to ff at 20lbs.

So far as I know, Graco, Evenflo, and Britax are the only manufacturers with a 20lb min ff'ing weight limit. All the others have a 22lb min weight limit or in the case of the True Fit a 23lb min weight limit.

Official information that you'll find from TC uses 10kg as when to turn ff'ing which translates to 22lbs.

So far as age, there is no age requirement in the TC regulations, but the age minimum comes in as a requirement since every province requires that a seat meeting CMVSS standards be used to restrain a child. Using the seat against manufacturer instructions is using the seat in a way that it isn't certified for - thus doesn't meet standards. And that is the reason why it's illegal to ff a child who is under 20 (or 22lbs depending on the seat,) and under 1yr old. (Unless the person is using an older Britax convertible which only had a suggested 1yr old statement and no requirement - but the new seats all have a min. 1yr old to ff requirement.)

Hopefully that helps clarify things a little for you. :)

As for the OP, it's unfortunate that your friend is choosing to ignore the law, but you're right that there comes a point where there's no point in saying anything further. Hopefully she doesn't learn the hard way the importance of following manufacturers instructions and rear facing until at least the minimums are met. :(

JamieB

Canmom, she DOES KNOW she's breaking the law. Like I said, I have explained, begged, done everything I could to get the mom to keep her rfing. And I know that her legs hitting the seat is not an issue and that it is much safer to rf. I've explained all this to her.

And yes the True fit does need to be tight in there. That's why I haven't left the house in two days! lol I have to get out there to work on it.

Funny thing is, she likely doesn't even need a new seat at this time. If she has a SafeSeat, I'd bet her 13 month, 18 pound baby still fits! My DD used it until 21 months and my DD was in the 65% percentile for height/weight. Most kids fit easily until 18 months and some until well over age two!

She definitely does not need a new seat yet. She would probably fit in that seat well past two. She is a tiny tiny girl.

OP, do you still have the TuFit? Where are you located.... there me be a tech that could meet you in person and help you install it.

Yes I still have the True Fit. I will be keeping it but I need to get a better fit. I'm in northern Ontario, near Sudbury. I would love to have some help with it but I doubt there is anyone near me. And I don't trust the people in town here because I was given horrible advice at the last car seat clinic.

As for the OP, it's unfortunate that your friend is choosing to ignore the law, but you're right that there comes a point where there's no point in saying anything further. Hopefully she doesn't learn the hard way the importance of following manufacturers instructions and rear facing until at least the minimums are met. :(

Thank you for this. I was actually hit really hard with the news that she will be going ffing. It makes me so sad and there's nothing I can do to change it. I did the best I could, I really did.

canmom

Yes I still have the True Fit. I will be keeping it but I need to get a better fit. I'm in northern Ontario, near Sudbury. I would love to have some help with it but I doubt there is anyone near me. And I don't trust the people in town here because I was given horrible advice at the last car seat clinic.

So funny your from the rock!!! I was born there and went back there to go to laurentian.... I have lived in Calgary basically since 1982 though. I'm not sure if there is anyone on c-s.org but you never know! Hopefully someone will be close. You have done all you can, some parents just won't listen to reason though :thumbsdown:.... just pray she gets pulled over by a knowledgable officer:thumbsup:!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC