Use Britax right up to expiration date?

rodentranger

SIL is flying cross country with her DS. Rather than her gate check her Diplomat, I've offered to let her take my almost expired MA. The sticker says DOM is 3/4/03. She will be returning on 3/1. Are we pushing it using it that close to the expiration date? I know they don't suddenly disintegrate on their expiration date, but....:D
The seat's background: I am it's second owner. It was given to me by my uncle when my cousin outgrew it. I know it has never been crashed (and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned either). It did sit in So Cal sun for its first five years. I tossed the cover because the elastic was trashed. It has a forbidden FPSVD cover on it now (the FP was crashed).
I figured if the airline trashes the seat, who cares right? It was going to be destroyed anyway.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

As far as expiration, yeah- use it right up until the last day. It's fine as long as you trust the history. I wouldn't worry about the SoCal sun- Britax bakes and freezes their seats in testing and it's expected that they'll encounter extreme temps in your vehicle.

You say she's planning to gate check it. Is she not buying him a seat?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I agree with Crunch I would use it with no issues. I used my MA right up until it expired with no worries. Now it sits at work as a demo seat for our CPST classes.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
If she is not buying a seat for baby on the plane have her take it to the gate and ask to use an empty seat for him, so she doesn't have to check it.

rodentranger

As far as expiration, yeah- use it right up until the last day. It's fine as long as you trust the history. I wouldn't worry about the SoCal sun- Britax bakes and freezes their seats in testing and it's expected that they'll encounter extreme temps in your vehicle.

You say she's planning to gate check it. Is she not buying him a seat?

No they didn't buy him a seat. He is 13 mos, 17 lbs and hates the car seat. :shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC