Question extra seat for 3rd car

sopapia

i'm looking for a 3rd seat for a 3rd car (babysitter, school, etc.) and should easy to install/uninstall for many cars. i've only had britaxes MA/regent but don't want to spend that much money and want something more versatile that can go from harness to later, booster of some sort. budget is about 100-200 and may consider going over $200. i have 3 kids and 2 cars (2002 accord and 2004 pilot) and now 3rd car so someone can pick up my kids after school, etc. that's a lot of carseats that we use on almost daily basis so i don't want to have to switch carseats all the time . he's currently in an old alpha omega (babysitter's) that was purchased in 2003 so will expire soon. the seat will be for a almost 5 years old, 38-39in (haven't measured him lately) and weighs 38 lbs. and in a pinch may use it for my my almost 3yo who is 27lbs and 33in(?). he usually rides in a MA in babysitter's car. i would like a 5pt harnessed seat to as long as possible... and in my case, really long b/c my oldest is on the smaller side. side note, my DS1 is so used to having seatbelt on tight that he freaks out if the seatbelt is not just on but snug. :D

i like the frontier (will get for our car later) and am a diehard britax fan but want to see other seats that will work too that's a little cheaper for the 3rd car. i looked at the safeguard go and nautilus. nautilus i'm not so fond of b/c it's not so cushiony but it's for short trips to and from school so it's not critical. i liked the safeguard go b/c of it's portability. however i'm concerned about the safeguard go b/c it needs a top tether which leads to my next question:

my babysitter has a 2001 or 2002 sienna. i can find LATCH in the captain seat but can't find the tether anchor. if the car has LATCH, does it mean it also has tether anchor?

seat criteria (in decreasing order of importance):
FF 5 pt harnessed seat (LATCH or seatbelt) that can turn into HBB (harnessed) or just SPB
SIP
ease of installation in many cars (most our cars will have LATCH and top tether but may be in a passenger van too)
portable
price

ADS

flutie128

I love the nautilus that I have. DS rides in it as his primary seat and I drive a lot. I have never heard a complaint from him. I think it is easy to install with both latch and a seat belt. I have it installed with a seat belt right now because he is almost at the latch limit.

NannyMom

The Nautilus is usually very easy to install. It has a harness, and then converts to a booster. I'd use it for the older child, and would use it for the younger as well (is that child already FF?)

sopapia

don't throw rocks at me... yup. the DS2 is FF already... that was before i saw this forum. if i turned him around now, he would probably scream b/c he can't see the DVD screen. plus, i don't know how i would turn him around and still have everyone fit in our cars (i have MA/regent/SR for the pilot and MA/RN/SR for the accord). the regent and RN needs to be in the middle b/c the DS1 can climb/buckle himself in and out. since we need 2 RF and there's not enough room for the driver or front passenger. i'm welcome to suggestions if anyone has any.

anything against the safeguard go? it's on sale for $120 and it's portable so that's a big plus for me. i have to go look at the GN again and see how easy it is to maneuver. i got lazy with the britaxes... they all pretty much function the same.

any other carseats i haven't thought of?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC