Can I RF tether to the 2nd row seat brackets in a 2004 Sienna?

brittany741

We just bought a 2004 Sienna XLE Limited yesterday, 7 passenger. DD is 18 mos, RF in a Diplomat until I get to order her another Blvd. (we sold our last one because I got a car that was too small to use it)

We moved the right seat to the "center" pegs, which freed up one of the seat mounting points in the floor. The Britax tether hook fits perfectly onto it without the D-Ring. The tether is not offset, the hook location is centered to the seat itself.

It's the body of the car (no carpet, seat tracks, bolts, etc.)- welded directly there. It's designed to hold the seat with a full sized restrained adult in it. I can't possibly imagine why it wouldn't be OK to do this, if not preferable, to using the D-Ring around a seat track which is bolted down...

There are no moving parts, no interference whatsoever.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have experience with this situation before? I know the Odyssey has a similar setup in the 2nd row.

Any input is appreciated!

ADS

NannyMom

Can you post a picture of the installation? From what I'm seeing in my head... the tether would be going under the vehicle seat it's sitting on. I believeit has to be at 90* (straight down from where it's attached to the seat) or forward... not backward. And how I'm picturing it, it's going backward.

Does that make sense?

I have a Marathon rf tethered in my 2nd row. I took off a plastic piece on the seat track of the passenger's seat, and attached it there, with the D-ring.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm also not clear on where the RF Britax convertible is currently installed from the description. Britax allows RF tethering toward a fixed point toward the front of the vehicle (Swedish style) or directly back over the top of the RFing Britax convertible to the vehicle's tether anchor normally used for a FF installation (Australian style). In the '04 and newer Sienna, removing the plastic cover from the back edge of the front seat rail creates enough room to wrap the D-ring RF tether connector strap to create a RF anchor point. There's an online video showing how to do this in a Sienna at Car Seat Site's Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upADev-UrM&feature=channel_page.

If you're tethering directly downward or back toward the vehicle seat or vehicle seat bracket on the van's floor, then it doesn't sound like an allowable RF tethering position. If the RF Britax convertible is installed in the third row with the second row vehicle seat's floor bracket available as a fixed point toward the front of the vehicle, then that would be allowable.

P.S. Congrats on your new wheels. :)

brittany741

Thanks, Ladies.

The tether spot is slightly more towards the FRONT seats than exactly directly straight down. The reason for this is the depth of the seating surface on the captain's chair allows for the seat to not be too far back.

I lost my D-Ring and I am waiting on my new Blvd, so this is only temporary. The Diplomat is not a very large seat, which also contributes to the angle of the tether. I think a Blvd's depth would make the tether straight or even more "under" the seat, at a reverse angle.

Let me snap a pic. BRB

brittany741

Sorry I am just now getting back to this thread!

I don't have my camera cord, but I think maybe I was on something (or just exhausted). The tether is pretty much straight down, so it isn't something that will work according to the responses.

It's ok though, I am ordering my new BV as soon as my refund hits for the TrueFit. Then I will have a D-Ring to do a proper tether. For now I will just have to suck it up and not have her tethered.

Her legs are so awfully uncomfortable in the Diplomat, so I am in kind of a hurry to get her comfortable again.

NannyMom

You can also do australian tethering. That's where you'd take it over the top of the seat, and tether it to the back (where you'd tether a FF seat).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC