Graco Nautilus Problem (PICTURE)

MustangMama

So the harness adjuster strap on my Graco Nautilus is beginning to fray! :eek:

It is from 09/2008! It shouldn't be doing this.

I loosen DD harness to get her out and tighten it to put her back in. Should I not be doing this?

What should I do about the fraying?

New010.jpg

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You can give Graco a call and see what they say. I'd also take a look at the adjuster mechanism and make sure that there's nothing in there rubbing on the strap when it's loosened and tightened - like if there was a tiny piece of food or something that had gotten caught somehow.

From the picture, I don't see enough fraying to believe there's any effect on the seat integrity, but with a seat that is this new, I'd want it addressed before the warranty period was over just in case it does get worse over time.

eta: The seats are designed to be loosened and tightened on a regular basis. A minimal amount of fraying isn't cause for concern and the strap will show a tiny bit of wear over time, but with a seat this new I'd want to check it out with Graco. It looks to me like something in the adjuster mechanism is rubbing on that place, I don't believe you're doing anything wrong at all. :)

MustangMama

You can give Graco a call and see what they say. I'd also take a look at the adjuster mechanism and make sure that there's nothing in there rubbing on the strap when it's loosened and tightened - like if there was a tiny piece of food or something that had gotten caught somehow.

From the picture, I don't see enough fraying to believe there's any effect on the seat integrity, but with a seat that is this new, I'd want it addressed before the warranty period was over just in case it does get worse over time.

eta: The seats are designed to be loosened and tightened on a regular basis. A minimal amount of fraying isn't cause for concern and the strap will show a tiny bit of wear over time, but with a seat this new I'd want to check it out with Graco. It looks to me like something in the adjuster mechanism is rubbing on that place, I don't believe you're doing anything wrong at all. :)

Cool thanks! I will give them a call as soon as I can and see what they say....

I will also take a look tmrw in the light and see if there is anything stuck in there.

SPJ&E

Ours did this too, within a week of receiving it (it actually has a 9/2008 DOM too). It's just fuzzing though, not fraying, so it doesn't concern me. Our MA's are the exact same way...although I will say that it took them longer to get that way.

Andie

I've noticed this issue with my Nautilus, however my strap isn't fraying. If you pull up the adjuster lever like you are loosening it and feel that part that is on top of the adjuster strap, it is very sharp. I avoid fraying the harness by pulling the adjuster strap down or straight out, never up. If you call Graco, they should send you a new one.

MustangMama

I've noticed this issue with my Nautilus, however my strap isn't fraying. If you pull up the adjuster lever like you are loosening it and feel that part that is on top of the adjuster strap, it is very sharp. I avoid fraying the harness by pulling the adjuster strap down or straight out, never up. If you call Graco, they should send you a new one.

You are exactly right! I took a look at it today and there is a sharp metal piece in the harness adjuster housing that is scraping it if I don't pull it at the correct angle. Is Graco open 24/7? Anybody have the number so I don't have to search for it? :p

Andie

you are exactly right! I took a look at it today and there is a sharp metal piece in the harness adjuster housing that is scraping it if i don't pull it at the correct angle. Is graco open 24/7? Anybody have the number so i don't have to search for it? :p

800-345-4109
Monday - Friday, 8-5, EST

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
It's hard to say if this is bad or not. I had this on Ilana's SS1, sent it back, got a new one etc. Next one did the exact same thing so I figured it wasn't a problem. It was fuzzy, but wasn't 'eating' into the harness making it weak or anything I don't think. I haven't even looked at AJ's to see if his is doing it and I expect the new SS1 we just got will do it too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC