Question Booster suggestions. Need help here!

jillianrose

I'm having a heck of a time with my oldest child's booster seat. She's 7/49lbs/46". She's in a Britax Bodyguard which I previously loved, but have grown to hate since purchasing our new 2008 Ford Explorer. I want her in the middle seating position because my other two younger children are in FF Radians installed in the outboard seats with latch. (There is no anchor or tether in the middle posiiton - What's wrong with these car manufacturers anyway?).

The problem is that the middle seat in the Explorer has no headrest (again, what's wrong with these car manufacturers?), so she needs a highback booster, and I prefer a high back booster anyway, but the stupid shoulder belt is so low on the Explorers's seat back that it gets hung up and/or stuck behind the booster seat when she gets out, which results in way too much slack when she gets back in, unless I climb into the car and adjust if for my daughter each and every time. The seatbelt comes out so low on the seat that it does not retract easily once she buckles it. I have to pull her and the booster forward a little in order to get the slack in the belt to go back. Also, she's not able to get the lock off on the seat belt side closed by herself, so again I have to climb in and do it for her. In -25 degree temps, this is not fun!

So, I tried putting her in the 3rd row seat, but again we have the problem with her not being able to close the lock-off so I have to climb in through the hatch and help her. But worse and more concerning about the 3rd row seat is that the stupid head rests are not adjustable and they stick out a few inches, so the back of the Bodyguard does not sit flush against the back of the auto seat. Is this unsafe?

Any suggestions for other seats? Or ways to make this work?

Do kids really need the SIP of a highback booster like the bodyguard if they are in a car with rear safey curtains? My husband says to just get her a backless booster. Ugh, so many things to consider. Sorry this is so long! Thanks!

ADS

Farm_Mama

Have you tried installing the Radians side by side?? You don't NEED to use LATCH to install them. It may be easier to help your DD buckle if she could be on the outside. I'm guessing that the seatbelts come out higher in the ouboard positions as well and that may eliminate the problem with the belt not retracting.
You can't use a backless booster in the middle as your husband suggested if there is no center headrest.

Maedze

There may not be LATCH for your center position but I'm fairly certain there is a top tether anchor. I would first try installing the 2 Radians side by side.

Is either of your Radian riders under 35 lbs? If you put that child rearfacing in the center position, it will allow the Radians to puzzle together nicely.

jillianrose

Hmmm....I have actually thought about moving one of the Radians to the center, but the thought of installing a Radian using seatbelt instead of anchors makes my stomach turn. I know I'll have to do it eventually because my 5 yr. od will reach 48 pounds some day, but honeslty that Radian is nearly impossible to install with seatbelts. The other problem with the center position is that the top tether has to be tethered back in the cargo area. That kind of makes the 3rd row inaccessible. I'm so frustrated. I hate cars.

Farm_Mama

Hmmm....I have actually thought about moving one of the Radians to the center, but the thought of installing a Radian using seatbelt instead of anchors makes my stomach turn. I know I'll have to do it eventually because my 5 yr. od will reach 48 pounds some day, but honeslty that Radian is nearly impossible to install with seatbelts.

Believe me, I HEAR you! We just recently had to stop using LATCH when I discovered that DD was 1lb away from the 40lb limit in our car. The help from the ladies on here helped TONS though! You CAN do it! I'd absolutely give it a try. I've been able to do it in many different vehicles now that I know the tricks.
Here are the steps that work for me every time....

1-Pull out the recline wedge thing.
2-Pull the bottom of the seat away from the seat bight an inch or two.
3-Thread the seatbelt through the slots and then reach through the velcro opening and grab the shoulder belt pulling the slack out of the lap portion.
4-Put your knee in the seat and push STRAIGHT DOWN while tugging as hard as you can STRAIGHT UP on the shoulder belt through that velcro slot.
5-Lock the shoulder belt and tug some more.

Oh, I forgot one step... I loosely attach the rear tether before I buckle the seat in just so it's up and out of the way(I've gotten the seat tight as can be only to discover that the tether fell back behind my newly installed seat and I have to unbuckle and start over...very aggravating!). Once you get the seatbelt tight then just tighten up the tether strap.

U

Unregistered

You guys give me hope! I'll try it as soon as it warms up a little. It's finally approaching 0 degrees, but still there's a windchill which makes it miserable to be outside for more than a few minutes! I think I'd love having the Radian in the middle for my youngest. He is under 35 lbs, but not by much so I think I'll keep him FF, and then switch my five yr old into the middle Radian once she gets closer to 48 lbs. It would be so much easier to get my oldest daughter into and out of her Bodyguard if it was in one of the outboard seats. There'd be more leg room for her too, and the little guy doesn't need as much so the middle should suffice for him.

Ugh, my stomach is turning, but you guys make it seem possible so I have to give it a try. I'll report back when I get it done. Thanks so much!

Oh, and yeah, I've done that once too many times...getting that darn seat in tight only to realize the latch strap is stuck behind the seat!!! I think I've hurled more curse words installing carseats than doing just about anything else in life!

The Bjorns

We have a Radian installed in a Mazda 3 and after struggling with the LATCH install I was terrified to try a seat belt install. It was much better than I anticipated. There is hope! :) I was worried about installing it in a rental car (minivan) when we took it on a trip and I didn't know if I'd have LATCH or a seat belt to work with.

Hint 4 below about pulling the strap thru the velco slot is the best!!! I pulled first from the side closest to the buckle and then pulled some more on the other side and then pulled some more on the belt outside of the seat. Rock solid! :love:

Of course, the easiest install I ever had was the Radian on a plan. Heaven! Made me wish all seat installs were as easy as that one.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Kat_Momof3

I know it seems horrid, but in a ford, it should be pretty simple.

they install pretty easily in fords, if you follow the tips listed above.

Now, if you want an easier, yet still narrow for putting 3 across, booster, I'd look into the Recaro Vivo/Vivo Lite... no lockoffs, goes taller, it's a great seat.

jillianrose

Ugh, I tried today and got very frustrated. I'll have to keep working on it.

I've been thinking about the Recaro Vivo. Do you know the differnece between the Vivo and the Vivo lite? We are going shopping tomorrow and I think this seat is available at Target, so I will take a look at it. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have trouble with the seat belt getting stuck on it's way back up due to the width and SIP on the seat??? It does look like a nice seat and I think it would be great for the back of the Explorer, and hopefully will work nicely in the middle as well.

No matter what I decide I will have work on getting that Radian installed with the seatbelt for my 5 yr. old.

Thanks everyone.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC