No back booster, anyone know what my friend is talking about?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just noticed her 5 yo is in a no back now. So I just let her know that might not be the safest option, explained about side impact protection. Asked is the shoulder belt was fitting him ok,

"The backless booster we got has a strap that loops around the seatbelt harness and then positions it down to his shoulder height."

Anyone know what she's talking about? I don't quite understand it.

And what would be the best overall and LEAST EXPENSIVE high back booster if I were able to convince her to move him to one? They had Eddie Bauer combo harness/booster seats. That's what he was in before. Not sure if he's outgrown it or the just decided to 'upgrade' him.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It sounds like she's talking about the belt guide. (A piece of webbing with a plastic piece that you adjust to the child's shoulder.)

The TurboBooster is usually a good inexpensive choice.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
The backless Turbo boosters, Evenflo Big Kid, and some others come with a strap that attaches to the back or bottom of the booster seat and has a clip/loop that attaches to the seat belt to help position it.

CTPDMom

I never knew there was a belt guide on no back boosters! Learn something new every day.

ETA: Is this belt guide as good as the hard guides on a HBB?

OK, so if he's in a no back with belt guides and she says he's fitting in it fine (states it was ok'd by a tech at a car seat fair a few months back, note that these techs aren't 'our' kind of tech) do I reassure her that he's ok, or push to get him a TB? *I* would want my child still harnessed but I've already lost that battle with her. Is the side impact stats significant enough to want to at least try to convince her? (I have the crash test vids I plan to share with her.)

FWIW, she is interested and we have a good relationship. If I tell her she NEEDS to get one she likely will. This child rides outboard in a crossover minivan type vehicle.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, it's a lot harder/more fiddly to use it, and the safety is still decreased dramatically over using a highback http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php and there's no sleep support. If he's a big kid and sits properly and never sleeps in the car, and if she's on a limited budget, I might not mention anything. But you could always say 'I just found out that highbacks are so much better at preventing head injuries in side impacts!' and she might be open to spending money on one if it won't strain her budget.

CTPDMom

That illustration helps alot, thank you!

One more question (can you tell my ds isn't at the booster stage yet, I know virtually nothing about them)...is the TB (high back) latchable? If not, are there any others in the same price range with some SIP that are latchable?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No :(. The only LATCHable ones are the Olli/Ozzi (backless, $70-$90), Frontier or Nautilus in booster mode, and Jane' Indy Plus (I think it's discontinued, but it was almost $200). The Safeguard Go might appeal to them, it's $134 at elitecarseats.com if you use coupon gobabygo, it's LATCH and harnesses to 60lbs/17.5 inches torso, then it LATCHes as a backless booster.

LATCH just hasn't caught on to the low priced booster market quite yet, maybe in a couple years...

Lys

Senior Community Member
The Monterey latches too and is on sale now for $119 from Amazon and Hipmonkey

CTPDMom

Thanks for the info, I could think of a few but none that inexpensive. :)

OK, so I'll suggest a GN or a Monterey (hoping with the GN she might consider re-harnessing or consider it for when her younger child outgrows her EB combo harness seat).

CTPDMom

Okay...sent off my e-mail to her. Money is almost always a concern for almost everyone...but I'm certain they can swing $130. They both have good jobs but are generally conservative with their money.

I explained about the side impact protection, sent the crash test vids, recommended GN (making another push to reharness), a Monterey or a Turbobooster...explaining that they were all options that were safer than a NBB and reasons why a LATCHable booster is good.

And, of course, reminding her that she's my friend and I love her AND her kids which is why I even said anything at all about his LBB but that I'm not judging her, just want her to be making her decisions with all of the facts.

Keeping my fingers crossed she will at least spring for a TB! Thanks for the input everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC