Relatives and carseats - I'm a wimp...

tjham

We just had our family reunion, a camp out for 3 days. There were at least 12kids 12 and under. I purposely stayed away from any of the cars and trucks because I knew I would get irritated or upset. Ignorance is bliss. There are a lot of cowboys and redneck parents and grandparents. I had a rep when my kids (now 28, 26and 21) were little for being a carseat and seat belt nut. I was teased a lot and not usually in a nice way.

Now I still am a "nut" with my granddaughter and grandson. I get along fine with the younger generation of parents there but don't know any of them very well, just see them one or twice a year.

So my granddaughter (5 yrs old, who has a Marathon, Chase, Bolero, Plat Cargo and just outgrown AO :D ) was playing with 2 kids, 4 and 2, average size, by their truck with the doors open. I had to go over there to get her and ended up looking in. I guess I should have been glad they had anything! But...they had 2 HBB, probably Evenflo Big Kids. They matched the interior :rolleyes: . I'm sure even the 4 yr old boy doesn't meet the criteria for a HBB, but the 2 yr old girl for sure doesn't. I didn't say anything. But I did take the beautiful AF MA out of my Expedition and set it out in a prominant place where they had to see it as they were leaving :p .
Later, when they were driving away, I saw the mom with the seat belt behind her back and the dad with no seat belt at all (although he MAY have put it on later.)

The mom (who went through in vitro for both kids and works in a hospital!) emails me all the time with little bits of info. At first, I thought I could email her something back about carseats at some time in the future. Then I saw the seat belt behind her back and wondered "If I only take a risk and email her about one thing, should it be about the 'kid in boosters too soon' situation, or the 'seat belt behind the back' situation?"

I will probably wait til a right moment comes up, but it may never happen. I will feel awful if they get hurt because of this but I still feel the sting of my generation of relatives making fun of me.

So there it is...I'm a wimp.

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC