Question about Nautilus fit in our truck

So I'm sold on getting the GN for my DD. She's three, 39.5" tall, 33lbs. Tall and slim. We have the Marathon (and are very happy with it) in my car and the AOE (not happy with it) in our truck. The harnessed height limit on the AOE is my excuse for getting rid of it ;)

The only problem is that I just read in an older thread (on this board) that the Nautilus base cannot overhang the vehicle seat. Our truck is a Dakota, and the back seat is a bench, and it's not very wide. The AOE overhangs, but we took it to a carseat clinic, and the tech that installed it said it was okay because it was just a bit.

We haven't gone looking at the Nautilus yet, so I don't know how it will fit in the truck, but I'm guessing the base won't fit completely. Does this mean we're out of luck? :(

If so, does anyone know if the Frontier can overhang? That's my second choice.

Thanks!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The Nautilus is the only seat I know that you can not have any of the base hanging over the vehicle seat. I did talk to Graco about this a few times, and they are sticking to it.

canmom

I would give the GN a try if you can. I was worried about the no overhang rule especially since the Frontier did overhang the vehicle seat buy a good inch or two. The GN installed with a good inch or two left of vehicle seat so it is quite a bit shorter in that area.

Yes, the Frontier is allowed to overhang. I can't recall the exact wording in the Frontier manual but I was taught it os ok so long as 80% is on the vehicle seat.

bubbaray

We had to really "work" to get the GN to not overhang in DH's SUV. The GN seatback is somewhat angled, even when not in recline mode, so it did overhang a bit. However, he twisted the buckle stalk 3x and got a super tight install that pulled the GN back enough that there is probably 1/2 cm between it and the edge of the seat. I had a local tech (waving hi Nicole) check and the install is all good.

I wasn't super pleased with him, b/c when we checked the install of the seats at TJs, apparently HE DIDN'T ACTUALLY INSTALL THEM, just sat them on the seats and thougth, hmm, they fit. Um, yeah, not so much. Next time, I'll do it and he can wrangle the two kids in the store....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC