Defective Marathon

H

hayleycrabtree

I was taking apart one of my Marathons today to clean the cover and I noticed that one of the side foam panels was loose and actually came detached from the car seat. Also, I noticed that one of the latch connectors (the part you tighten) is broken. We don't have LATCH in our cars so we always use the seatbelt. Does Britax replace defective car seats? We have never been in an accident and this is the first time I've washed the cover because its in the second car.

ADS

MustangMama

I think it just depends on the situation. I would DEFINITELY give them a call tomorrow and tell them what's going on.

I had a problem with our Roundabout. The recline mechanism stopped working and got stuck.

I called Britax and they said since it was so close to expiring (2 months) that they would not be willing to fix it. Understandable though.

Britax has EXTREMELY good customer service so don't even hesitate to call! :)

Keep us updated!

skaterbabs

The foam comes out - they actually had to start embossing it with "do not throw away!" because of it. It should just slide back into place.

How is the LATCH connector broken?

H

hayleycrabtree

The first one is the piece of detached foam. Bella had fun playing with it! The next one is the car seat stripped down. Notice how the other side doesn't come off. It looks like it was broken off. The third one is the broken latch connector.

Dillipop

You can just tape the foam back on. Mine has tape down the sides like that, since it must have broken off at the same spot, but I can't remember fixing it... I just know that Britax has said it's ok to just tape it back together. You can buy new foam to replace it with if you'd like.

The latch does look like it isn't threaded properly. I'd definitely call and have that replaced.

cryswilkins

I agree with the PP, tape the foam for now, and call. What is the DOM of you seat? If its still under warranty they will send you the pieces for free. You will for sure need to replace the LATCH strap, I am not sure how that would have broken.

H

hayleycrabtree

I think the DOM is July 2003. A friend gave it to us after her daughter grew out of it. I don't think its still under warrenty because it's 5 years old.

Maggie

I'd just tape the foam.

I'm not sure how they'll handle the latch issue. If the DOM is indeed July 2003, it only has 6 months of use left. If they won't replace, which I dont' think they will because it's out of warranty, I wouldn't waste your money on buying a new one. Just use the seatbelt for the next 6 months, then toss the seat.

H

hayleycrabtree

We were using the seat belt anyways because our cars don't have LATCH. We sometimes use LATCH if we're travelling and get a rental car, but we'll just keep it until it expires. Thanks!

jsmom

Im waiting on a replacement one now. The top lock off on DDs snapped and part of the shell broke off too. How? I have no idea, she is RFing so we dont even use that part. But I called and they asked me to email them pics of the Boulevard and sent me a label. The best part, I sent back a Sutton and they are sending a Meghan! I heart Britax.

H

hayleycrabtree

Ok, so what I ended up doing is just using the other MA we have, and I got a new MA in Ashley for Bella to use when she's out of her safeseat. The old MA that is about to expire will go to a friend in need, or the second car.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ok, so what I ended up doing is just using the other MA we have, and I got a new MA in Ashley for Bella to use when she's out of her safeseat. The old MA that is about to expire will go to a friend in need, or the second car.

Honestly, if you're not going to use it for the 2nd car, I'd likely destroy it unless you 100% trust that the friend will a) destroy the seat after six months, AND b) never install it with LATCH. Technically speaking it doesn't meet the used seat checklist because of the broken LATCH adjuster on the one side, and with it being so close to expired, I just don't think it's a good idea to pass the seat on unless you know the person really super well and that they'll follow the 2 requirements you set out.

H

hayleycrabtree

I could just cut the LATCH connectors off! That way, they couldn't use them for sure. I'm thinking we might just keep it for a second car or a playdate... or destroy it. That could be a fun activity.

H

hayleycrabtree

I'm pretty sure the newer seats have the white foam. The one in the pictures is almost 6 years old. I just got a new MA last week and it has white foam. As long as it has the foam, I think you're ok!

abacus2

Britax told me today that they don't replace LATCH straps, it's not offered as a replacement part at all. Seems pretty odd to me (mine were destroyed by a not immediately caught serious milk spill), but I guess if your seat was under warranty they would just send a whole new seat. At least they're replacing my broken RFing lock-off and we don't have LATCH in our cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC