Vehicles with 3 third row Latches that can be used at the same time.

apr67

I have a very difficult time getting car seats to work properly with seat belts. So it makes it difficult when I need to transport someone other than my kids, since I am VERY reluctant to remove the car seats.

We've twin 1yo's and a 3yo. The 1yo's are in Britax marathons and the 3yo is in a Cosco Scenera.

My goal is to be able to have all three kids in the third row of a SUV/Minivan, allowing easy access from a folded down second row. Our current vehicle is a 2005 Odyssey and its just about unlivable with the three kids. The fake seat in the second row is useless. So I put the twins in the 2nd row, but now its nearly impossible to get to the third row to get the 3yo in right. I have to remove one of the car seats from the second row so I can get to the third row.

I'm about to buy an airport bus, as it seems the only solution!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I don't think what you're looking for exists. :(

However, one option that a lot of folks on this board use is to put two kids in the 3rd row, and then remove/fold one of the 2nd-row captain's chairs, and put the third child in the other one. This leaves plenty of room for loading the 3rd row kids, but without having to fit 3-across.

There are lots of van that will allow that, and some SUVs have split-fold 2nd-row seats that might work, too.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
You are aware that all vehicles have a LATCH weight limit of 40-48lbs (Honda is 40lbs) with the exception of Subura that is 60lbs but all the car seat manufactures have a 48lbs LATCH weight limit. That means once your children reach 40lbs for your Honda you have to install the car seat with the vehicle seatbelts anyways.

You won't find any vehicle manufacture that allows LATCH anchors to be used with 2 car seats on 1 hook. If you wanting to use LATCH in all 3 position you will need a vehicle with LATCH in all 3 positions so 6 independent hooks with 3 top tethers.

Are you locking the seatbelt via the retractor? You pull the shoulder portion all the way out and slowly let the webbing retract. You will hear or feel a clicking noice. That is the seatbelt locked.

Route the seatbelt through the approriate belt path (rf'ing for rf'ing child & ff'ing for ff'ing child). Feed the seatbelt through the built in lock off's. Now bare your weight in the seat with either your hand or a knee and tighten the seatbelt up. Now lock the built in lock off(s) and check for tightness. Less then 1" of movement at the belt path. Once you have the tight install now pull should portion of the seatbelt all the way out and lock the retractor.

Have you thought about putting the twins in the 3rd row with the 3yr old in 1 of the 2nd row caption chairs? This will allow you easy access to the 3rd row.

apr67

You are aware that all vehicles have a LATCH weight limit of 40-48lbs (Honda is 40lbs) with the exception of Subura that is 60lbs but all the car seat manufactures have a 48lbs LATCH weight limit. That means once your children reach 40lbs for your Honda you have to install the car seat with the vehicle seat belts anyways.

Yes.. As much as it pains me. Was thinking about feeding the kids less to keep them under 40 as long as possible. :)

Are you locking the seatbelt via the retractor? You pull the shoulder portion all the way out and slowly let the webbing retract. You will hear or feel a clicking noice. That is the seatbelt locked.

On the Honda I have not had luck with that. It will be tight and then one day it will be loose. Don't trust it and honda has been as helpful as honda usually is.

Route the seatbelt through the approriate belt path (rf'ing for rf'ing child & ff'ing for ff'ing child). Feed the seatbelt through the built in lock off's. Now bare your weight in the seat with either your hand or a knee and tighten the seatbelt up. Now lock the built in lock off(s) and check for tightness. Less then 1" of movement at the belt path. Once you have the tight install now pull should portion of the seatbelt all the way out and lock the retractor.

Only the britax's have built in lock offs. Since they are already latch I don't have a problem with them. Perhaps it would be worth while to get another Brittax, one of the bigger ones. The problem is, I doubt I can get three of those big muthers across. Its worth a try.

Have you thought about putting the twins in the 3rd row with the 3yr old in 1 of the 2nd row caption chairs? This will allow you easy access to the 3rd row.

Its not really 'easy' if I have to crawl on my knees to put a kid in a seat. Did it once for a Trip when we took in laws with us. Also, the Oddy only has lower anchors in the middle of the third row.

Hmm.. I wonder if used_airport_bus.com is vaild?

AlmostFive

Why not slide the passenger side captain's chair to the middle and put both rf seats side by side in the captain's chairs? This leaves a passageway to the 3rd row that is easy to get in and out of to access the 3rd child.

apr67

Why not slide the passenger side captain's chair to the middle and put both rf seats side by side in the captain's chairs? This leaves a passageway to the 3rd row that is easy to get in and out of to access the 3rd child.

I haven't found it to be that easy. Perhaps its my size (6' and 220lbs). Its is an option we have tried a few times. The other issue is that the double stroller doesn't have a good place to live when half of the rear seat is up, but that is because I don't use the seatbelts, if I used the seat belts then the car seat could be in the smaller (40/60) seat and I would have room for it. But then I couldn't get to the child to belt her in when the stroller was in the car.

Its all a compromise, I'm just not liking my options. I hoped that one of the MiniVan's or SUV's had 3 latch positions across the rear.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC