Question Tethers in 3rd Row?

U

Unregistered

We're looking for a new car (with three rows; second row with captain's chairs). The problem is we'll have 3 kids in car seats (19 month-old twins) and a new baby. Our plan is to put the twins in the third row (FF) and the baby in the second row).

But when we went looking today (at the Suburban, the Yukon, the Acadia, the Enclave, etc.) we didn't find any to have more than one tether in the back row!

That shocked me. Any thoughts / suggestions?

I may be looking at the Odyssey next but had hoped to leave some SUVs in the mix in the meantime...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

ADS

NannyMom

How much do the twins weigh? At 19 months they'd be much safer rear facing. It's highly reccomended to remain rear facing until the limits of the seat (30, 33, or 35 pounds, and 1 inch of carseat above the head), this is also the reccomendation of the AAP. Children under 2 years are 5 times safer when rear facing.

Sorry, I don't know about SUVs, but I know the Sienna :eek: The Sienna has 3 LATCH (lower andchors and tethers for children) in the 2nd row (of the 8 passenger model) and 2 sets of LATCH in the 3rd row (leaving only the 3rd row driver's side with no LATCH or tether). And you could deffinetly fit all 3 children rear facing (or forward facing, later) in the 2nd row of the 8 passenger Sienna.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
The Odyssey has top tethers in 5 seating positions, all three in the back have top tethers. IMO you just cannot beat the convenience of a mini van. MUCH easier to get to the kids in the back to buckle them in.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Have you thought about getting a SUV (Yukon or Suburban) with 2nd row bench?

I have installed many 3 across in the 2nd row of the large size SUV (Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition). I usually do older children outboard & baby center. The 2nd row bench has top tethers in all 3 positions.

If you had the Tahoe/Yukon this allows you to be able to fold the 3rd row seat up or removed to put groceries in the back or if your using a big stroller for the ability to store it. If you haven't noticed there is very little cargo area behind the 3rd row when in use on the Yukon/Tahoe models.

rodentranger

The 2003-2008 Honda Pilot has LATCH in 2nd row outboard positions , and three tether anchors for the third row. The 2009 now has LATCH in all three 2nd row seats, plus the passenger outboard in the 3rd row with tether anchors for the other two third row seats.

valleyfam

Again a van but my 01 Windstar has a top tether for every seat passenger side front (great for my rf blvd), one for each captain's chair, 3 for back bench. :thumbsdown:for Ford though because it is my understanding that in 03 they went to the Freestar which only had one for the back bench. Maybe someone else can confirm that for you. Are you looking new to you or new?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC