Help, my daughter wont stay in her stroller

calimom2

Hello I have a 2 year old daughter and she has figured out how to get out of her stroller. The other day I was distracted talking to a cashier at the store and she got out of the stroller and run around in the store. I was terrified until I found her. The same thing happened again a while ago when she run out on the street luckily I noticed soon enough to catch her. Any suggestions?

ADS

Morganthe

You might not like my solution. :whistle:

Use the stroller less often or just for 'stuff' & get a carrier such as an Ergo, Beco, or Patapum. Can't run off if she's strapped on your back. :thumbsup:
:duck:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yep, that would work. I still pack a 4 year old.

Is she in a 3 point or 5 point harness in the stroller?

Evolily

I take care of a 2 1/2 year old- when he was 2 we ditched the stroller (mostly because I hate pushing it). He walks if we go somewhere, on nice days we usually take one or two walks, and sometimes take the bus to the park or library. I've had him walk, on a 90 degree day, up to two miles on uneven roads/sidewalks with no problem (with an ice cream break of course!). He holds up better than I do, lol. Now that it's cold we don't take walks quite as often, but as soon as it warms up we will start again.

I hold his hand and his brothers hand, and wear a backpack with anything we might need. If he was a runner I'd have no qualms about getting a child safety harness (baby leash)- I almost got one for his older brother who has a form of autism.

calimom2

You might not like my solution. :whistle:

Use the stroller less often or just for 'stuff' & get a carrier such as an Ergo, Beco, or Patapum. Can't run off if she's strapped on your back. :thumbsup:
:duck:

Unfortunately I can't use a carrier since i have problems with my back (herniated disk).

skipspin

Well, Peg Perego strollers are known ofr having pretty good harnesses. I suppose if you added a chest clip it would be even harder to get out. The buckle is pretty stiff to undo. (My 5 yr old can't undo it when her brother is in the seat.) Now, I rarely use the buckle at all, but I think it would be good for escapee kids.

My Zooper also had a really stiff buckle, but the harness wasn't as great and she could probably climb out of it if she's an escape artist.

If that doesn't work I'd try one of the harness "leashes" in the Combi you have. I'll bet you could thread it through one of the slots and secure it to the stroller, or even hold it so that even if she does get out she doesn't get away.

calimom2

Well, Peg Perego strollers are known ofr having pretty good harnesses. I suppose if you added a chest clip it would be even harder to get out. The buckle is pretty stiff to undo. (My 5 yr old can't undo it when her brother is in the seat.) Now, I rarely use the buckle at all, but I think it would be good for escapee kids.

My Zooper also had a really stiff buckle, but the harness wasn't as great and she could probably climb out of it if she's an escape artist.

If that doesn't work I'd try one of the harness "leashes" in the Combi you have. I'll bet you could thread it through one of the slots and secure it to the stroller, or even hold it so that even if she does get out she doesn't get away.

Thanks for your reply. I borrowed my sister's zooper to try it out. You were right she didn't undo the buckle but like you predicted she did wiggle out of the harness. Maybe I should tighten the harness a bit more. Is there a guideline on how tight the harness should be?
Thanks again for your input.

skaterbabs

Does she hate to be buckled?

For us what works (still) is that we have a deal. Joy doesn't try to escape, I don't buckle her. If she DOES try to escape, she gets buckled. When she was younger (under and around one year) that also included standing up in the stroller. :whistle:

At two your DD is old enough to understand that correlation. "If I try to run, mommy buckles me. I don't like being buckled." It may take a little while, but it does work. You just have to reinforce the lesson consistantly.

The next time you go out, tell her, "I won't buckle you now but if you get out of the stroller you will have to be buckled." And follow through. The very first time she tries to get out (and she WILL - that's part of being two!), buckle her up and (without any recrimination or lecturing or anything, just a statement of fact) say to her "You climbed out. Now you must be buckled. We'll try again next time." And then next time, try again. Next time can even be on the same trip if you have reason to get her out of the stroller at any point.

It works very well for us. Joy *hates* being buckled in the stroller, and I'm not willing to chase three kids. ;) :twocents:

Kat_Momof3

the valco buggster... add a chest clip because the straps are wideset just to be safe... tighten as much as a carseat... but seriously, no child can undo the harness because, in order to undo the buckle, you have to hold the female end and push DOWN on the male ends (which puzzle together) to release the spring to push them up and out.

I loved it.

now, if you don't need something with a recline, i'd say the quinny zapp... it also has a puzzle buckle and then you squeeze the two grey sides together... and it's stiff... Ruthie could buckle it, but never unbuckle it.

I'd add a chest clip to that one, too.

Kat_Momof3

you can put any chest clip you want on there... carseat companies sell them separately, so you can buy one that is hard for your kid to open and just put it on there.

I like the IMMI/Britax or Evenflo clips as they are easier for threading thicker/double/or straps with plastic anchors on the end.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC