Car seat for special needs child with CP

U

Unregistered

Since lots of places will be doing free shipping after Christmas...

My child has cerebral palsy, and has low tone in his trunk. He has been in the evenflo triumph, which has been fantastic since it was RF for a long time and still reclined nicely ff up to this point. (And the only one he would tolerate after a long morning trying car seats at BRU! ;)) But, alas, he is getting close to the dreaded 40 pound mark after a huge growth spurt. He is 5 1/2, about 38 lbs. and around 40 in. tall. I think that he is still in the size range that we will be able to find a suitable car seat without having to get the super expensive special needs ones (That are also super heavy, super bulky, and can't go on a plane!). So, I need a carseat that has some recline and will accomodate him for as long as possible :) Due to his low tone and inablilty to move around as much as you or I, I want to find something that is very comfortable, supportive and safe.

Here's what I have been thinking:

Radian 80
Pros: up to 80 pounds, slight recline?, lots of padding for support options, GREAT for travel, FAA approved
Cons: I've read it is uncomfortable-especially with crotch strap, will he even make the weight before he gets too tall?, difficult install?

Graco Nautilus
Pros: Inexpensive, high harness height, looks like there are some decent recline options, FAA approved
Cons: Only to 65 pounds, is it cushy and comfy?, bulky and heavy

Britax Frontier
Pros: It is a Britax, goes up to 80 pounds, FAA approved, difficult install?
Cons: same harness height as Graco with a much higher price tag, reviews say it is very upright-good recline options?, bulky and heavy

I think that this is what I have narrowed it down to. I am not looking at anything else that only goes to 65 pounds except the Nautilus because of its high harness height (my DH and I are both on the average height side and thin), but would be willing to entertain any other ideas from anyone that might have a special needs child in a similar situation. The regent didn't make my list because of its lack of support (it is SO big!) and it is not FAA approved-and we travel a couple of times a year.

Thank you for any comments!!!

ADS

firemomof3

I would also encourage you to look at the Recaro Signo because it has a great natural recline ff and amazing support! Its the only seat that I have found ff that supports my children's heads while they sleep. It has 17.5" top harness position and is rated to 70lbs. (but I can't see it lasting that long for any child ;)) It is more narrow in the shoulder area vs. the GN & Frontier but so it would be uncomfortable (except for maybe a huskey child). It also doesn't have the leg support that the other seats have, but my tall kids have never complained :confused:
Here is a picture of my tall 5.5y/o in the signo, she loves it.
5thbirthday067.jpg

5thbirthday068.jpg

NannyMom

I agree you should look into the signo. I imagine it's also bulky and heavy, and a little expensive (I think similar pricing to Britax seats). But it does offer great support. I've seen it reccomended many times for special needs children on here.

fyrfightermomma

I also have the Signo for my daughter with low torso tone. It's the only seat she can currently forward face in because of how bad she slumps

We have a Graco Nautilus in my husband's car but it is horrible for her. And she only has mild low tone. She slumps horribly and her head just hangs. I really would not go for that. I can't imagine a child with CP in that seat. I know some people get a better recline than others, but we weren't able to get any type of recline. She was stick straight in it

The Frontier we also had and it was not very reclined at all. She slumped horribly in that also.

Not sure about the Radian-we only used it rear facing

So definatly don't discount the Recaro convertibles. They are great for kids with low tone and have very nice natural reclines.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
You've already received some great suggestions, so I just want to make sure you know that carseats are usually outgrown by height before they are outgrown by weight. It's another important factor to consider, especially since you are shopping for a seat for a 5-year-old, because you need to look at more than just the weight limit on a carseat.

A FF carseat is outgrown:
1. when the weight limit is reached
OR
2. when the shoulders are above the top harness slots
OR
3. when the tops of the ears are above the top of carseat's shell.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The Radian is very upright when installed forward facing, I also wouldn't say it has any type of body support other than the harness.

I think the Signo would be my first choice, followed by the SafeGuard Child Seat then the Frontier.

Peony

Just another vote for the Recaro Signo, I have one that my almost 6y uses, she doesn't have low tone but it has excellent support. She fits in it very similar to firemomof3's DD, she has also never complained about lack of leg support and she complains about everything, if it were an issue, I'd hear about it!

AtTheSouthDam

I odered one of the COMO's from albee and it is a little over a year old so the hundred off is due to loss in life expectancy. Otherwise I love it and if you have a tall skinny kid it work well. It does have tall top slots, 18" but kids with substantial shoulders may get squished as they get taller. My 5 year old fits, barely, but she is not really a skinny girl.

U

Unregistered

Thank you so much! Is the Como or Signo better? Como has higher harness straps, right? But Signo has a bit more support? also, I read that it is really high up, will I be able to put him in my minivan without killing my back?

Thanks for your input!

U

Unregistered

And last question, what about The First Years True Fit car seat? It looks really comfy with all the padding in, but I would probably have to take it out in order for my DS to fit well soon, huh? Also, I was trying it in a Target, so couldn't figure out if there would be much of a recline in an actual car (I have an '08 Odyssey.) I decided I don't like the Graco Nautilus at all for my son after trying it :( Bummer, it's really inexpensive :) Ir definitely doesn't have much padding and seemed really upright.

firemomof3

Yes, the signo has more support & worth the extra money, especially for low muscle tone :) The true fit is a great seat but has very little support and not much of a recline ff.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't discount the Nautilus for a child with SN. I have a young friend with special needs: low tone and similar in age/size. He snuggled right into the Nautilus and actually uses the "wings" rather than "hanging" in the harness, which he did in his previous seat.

He was the "model" at a recent special needs tech class. After trying him in various seats (Tomato, Traveler Plus, Columbia, Roosevelt), it was decided to use the Nautilus for now. The second choice was the Roosevelt, but they decided to wait to order it, since he seemed to be doing well in the Nautilus.

PS - the Tomato and the small Columbia SN seats are airline approved. In addition, my therapist SIL met with the guy who "is" Merrit Mfg. He is working/hoping to get airline approved designation for the Roosevelt in the near future.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
I know there was someone in MD with a child with CP who was looking for seat recs a few weeks ago. If you are that person and decide you want a special needs seat, let me know and I can help you. :)

ctbcleveland

Also, have you explored any available funding for an appropriate seat for him?

If you can secure some funding toward the cost of the seat, you might be able to buy one of the SN seats that could last him longer.

Another mom on here was elligible for funding because transport her SN child to therapy.

pthaines

We have CAP/C in NC and it is a medicaid program and no longer pays for any car seats :( All of the other funding is based on income, and I think we make too much to qualify. This is why I am shooting for a normal seat for now-$300 is a lot less than $700 :) Plus, I don't mind a seat that is still more transportable for plane travel and the like. Also, I'm hoping that as his tone continues to improve, the Regent may be an option in the future. (although I will still have to have something for plane travel....but who knows what might come out in the next 2-3 years or so.

I have to retract my graco nautilus dislike ;) I tried the one at BRU and it was more padded than the one I tried at Target and had more recline once I put it on a reclined seat (instead of the floor.) I tried the Signo, but it seemed to have the least room to grow! (I was using my almost 7 year old to compare sizes for growth) but the head support and recline was excellent. I wish I had known about this seat 3 years ago. The Truefit was just too wide, he was totally leaning over to the side-although it was definitely the most cushioned and seemed so soft! And the Britax Marathon/etc. seemed to just not have a high enough harness height to be worth it, although it has my favorite padding. Sooo...I'm thinking of maybe going with the GN, cuz if it ends up not working, I can upgrade my oldest child to a nicer booster seat? Aughh...why is there no perfect seat?

Mama!

We are using a Signo for our FF 3.5 yo child with SN. It reclines enough that we have no head slump ( a big prob for us) . When I put him in, I push his chest up with my left hand and slide the chest clip up with my right.

I keep the harness height pretty much maxed out and it kind of reminds him to stay up. We have loved that seat to death, pretty much. Its a pain to dress/undress , but other than that, i love it. LATCH bar makes it a cinch, and no fluffy headcushions flopping like the Como.

firemomof3

Just to add, my 5.5y/o is now in a signo and it has 18.5" top harness slots...the same height as the nautilus! As long as the child isn't too broad in the shoulders the signo should be comfortable :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC