Velcro patches on Britax straps

Michi

I am curious - ( Honest - I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck)
Why is it okay for Britax to sew velcro patches onto their straps?
Doesn't that compromise the straps? (I'm assuming their seats are tested AFTER these are sewn on, right?)
I have seen you all warn people not to sew anything to their straps, so why is it okay for Britax to do it?

ADS

RubysGirl

I'm quite certain they test the seats in form they are sold.

As for not sewing things to the straps, it alters the seat. It may or maynot contribute to failure, but it most definately absolves any responsibility of the manufacturer.

That being said, I highly doubt the velcro on britax straps is in a position that it would stress the straps or interupt with the buckling system in a crash.

Michi

I would never sew anything on to a seat myself, but I was just looking at the straps the other day, and I was wondering...how does it not weaken the straps (by poking an industrial sewing needle through that many times)....no matter where it is on the strap?

RubysGirl

That's just it though, the needle is designed to go between the fibers, not split them. Not only that, every seatbelt and every carseat strap has sewing somewhere on it. I don't see it as a risk.

The fibers of the webing are synthetic. They are very long and very strong. They don't fray or split easily. Beyond that, they are numerous. So if one or two happen to get snagged with the needle, they other forty-eight
(just pulling a large number out of thin air, I'm sure there are many more) compensate.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
When you sew something to the seat you can punch big holes thru the fibers when they do it they push the fibers aside and let the thread go between the fibers not compromising the belts.

Lea_Ontario

My guess would be that, in an effort to maintain the integrity of the webbing, they would use only a ball-point needle. It's got a fairly blunt, rounded end, and is designed for use on woven fibres - as it will slide between the threads of the webbing without snagging or breaking them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC