Handle Position Question

Kellyr2

I know that some of the newer seats do allow you to leave the handle up while driving - but what is the reason why its safe? I was just reminded of this on another board, that the reasoning given for having to put them down was because when the seat cocoons, it could break the handle, sending shards of plastic flying all over.
What is it that keeps that from happening now?

Oh, and lets just make this a two-parter - here, I've read before that the cocooning action isn't necessarily designed to be that way "because" its safer or anything... thats just how they happen to function. Why is it that there are so many articles out there about it, then, stating that the cocooning action is what keeps the baby safe? I've even heard a tech tell people that before.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The new Graco seats are crash tested and are considered safe to have the handle up, that's the only ones. Obviously they've strebgthened them somehow. Cocooning is just how rfing seats work, of course having a tethered seat is safer and cuts out the cocooning. Besides the few seats that tether there's no way to keep a rfing seat from doing that.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Older seats had hollow handles that were easily broke into little pieces and the seats were more likely to cocoon than the newer seats sold today that have more anti-rebound bases and solid handles (many reinforced). Cocooning does have its benefits, if there is stuff (glass, projectiles, ect.) flying loose in the car the baby will be better protected b/c the seat is up against the seat back. It also helps prevent the danger of a rear impact acting similar to a FF frontal impact b/c the seat moves with the child not against it.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Double posting myself but graco is not the only company to allow the handle up, combi REQUIRES it and i think the keyfit can have its handle up or down but dont quote me on it.

U

Unregistered

the Chicco Keyfit CAN have the handle up or down - it just has to be in one of the 3 locked positions! it says it right in the manuel

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC