How to safely transport carseats for overseas move?

armyfam

Ok, we just got orders for South Korea. Leaving in a few months. I have a Regent, EFTA, Como and and Vivo. My 2 year old will be sitting in one of the carseats on the plane. I'm thinking Como probably because she would be able to sleep better in it. I'm sure I will have her FF. It is about an 19 hour ride from here. How would you safely get the other carseats to Korea? The military will move our stuff there but would you trust the carseats in their care that they won't get "roughed up". WWYD.
One more thing, I'm still having a hard time decided on which carseat to put my 2 year old in for our christmas trip. I asked in coffee break but still cant decide on which would be more comfortable:eek:
She is in a captains chair in a kia sedona van. She has a Como and a EFTA. The EFTA has more leg room RF but the Como has better SIP and head support to sleep. She has never been a car person-so her comfort is paramount to the peacefulness of our trip:). Another WWYD. Thanks

ADS

Morganthe

If you're shipping a vehicle, then you can keep your carseats installed in it.
Otherwise, I'd go ahead and use original boxes or have your shippers box your seats up. They'll be fine and you can watch them pack up everything in the huge crates. It's not like they're vases. :p

In fact, you will probably be amazed at how much wasted material goes into packing the boxes. Anything you have original packing, use it, keep flaps open so they can inspect & mark serial numbers for high value items.

Now on the overseas- stateside moves, it's the opposite. They get bonuses for compacting your stuff into as few crates possible. Sometimes it's okay, othertimes they go nuts with disassembling shelves and not padding glassware. :thumbsdown: Usually DH & I keep an eye on movers, but since I was occupied with 2 year old dd, he had to watch them pack on three floors in our house. Worst move ever for breakage. :thumbsdown:

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about your carseats if they're in OM or packed in boxes. They'll be fine. :)

Worry more about getting your No-Fee passports for you and the kids AND also the medical clearance packet. The No-fee passport -- find out who your representative is and where it needs to be mailed to on post or the office. That's who you put down as primary address, not yours, otherwise it loses the no-fee category. You pick up t he passports from his/her office.

Go through the on-line Passport application form on this page. Before you print it out through .PDF, it MUST Have a barcode down the top left side.
That part was unclear on dh's instructions and I just used a regular form.

Must have your kids' original birth certificates sent along AND if you don't have a previous passport -- your birth certificate sent too i n the packet. Photos should be free through your on-post media agency.

The medical board stuff is a total PITA and it is time consuming to get the paperwork done prior, so get started as early as you can.

I had to do it twice to go on dh's follow-on orders and his next set since they're only good for 6 months. It's DOD, not AF, so I know you're going to have to do them.

can't help on which carseat to use on your trip though. Sorry. :eek:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I do know a family who had their Evenflo Discovery infant seat destroyed. Dad was getting out of the Navy and they treated the seat horribly, and ended up replacing it for peace of mind. It was for their last baby too. It went on the truck and looking back they should have packed it in one of their cars for the 1/2 way cross country drive.

Susan

my dad was military and we were stationed overseas in Germany. I would NOT trust the movers with anything like a carseat. We got way too many broken items. WHen I moved back to the states a year before my parents (I graduated high school and was not sticking around), I got a ton of broken items again!.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
No advice on the move, but for your trip you could just put the two seats next to each other and ask your 2yo which car seat she wants to sit in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC