Which volvo has LATCH?

H

hayleycrabtree

We are looking to buy an older Volvo station wagon (1999 to 2004 range) but want to buy one that has LATCH. Are there any Volvo's that have LATCH pre 2002? If so, which year and model? We are looking into maybe a 2001 XC70, but are unsure if it has LATCH.

Lets just say the car is a 2001 XC70. Was it manufactured in 2000? I just get confused...

ADS
H

hayleycrabtree

PS If lets say the 2001 doesn't have LATCH, can we get it put in by the dealer? Also, which year did they make it standard to have the top tethers?

Jenifer

There are some 01 Volvos that show they have LATCH - outboard only V-40, 50, 70, and XC70 Series. There was a recall on 01 LATCH bars in the V 70 series. You will need to be sure it has been fixed.

Tether anchors are available for retrofitting in Volvos. The only Auto manufacturers that have (had) retrofitting available for Lower Anchors are VW and Audi.

Frankly, I have had few problems with Volvo installs, esp. older models:)

Auntie2Avi

My dad has an 01 S60 that does not have Latch, but it has top tethers. It also has really cool RF tether spots built into both front seats on the bottom.

H

hayleycrabtree

Thanks guys,

Auntie2avi, is there any way you could send pictures of the RF tether spots? I'd like to see myself!

brittany741

We are selling our '02 V70

It has latch on the two outboard positions.

When RF tethering, be sure to create your own tether point. Volvo advises against using what looks like a factory RF tether point. This isn't made for use with US-spec car seats.

Volvos are a pain to get a good install, but if you take your time you can get a really solid install.

We put DD in the center using the belt since I prefer that position and feel more confident with a belt install there.

H

hayleycrabtree

Where do you live? we eventually got great installs on the seats, thanks!

brittany741

Atlanta.

I traded the Volvo over the weekend so it's gone now.

Glad you were able to get good installs. The seats compress fairly easily and it's easy to get a Latch outboard install providing your child's seat isn't so huge it interferes with the front seats. Because of the WHIPS system, there needs to be some space so the child seat doesn't take impact from any adult sitting up front. The seats are meant to "give" in an accident to prevent whiplash. All cars have this to some degree but the Volvo has a specific design to allow even greater movement in a front/rear collision. That's why you will feel the seat somewhat rock when you get it and push yourself back. It's normal. When I first got the car I thought my seat was broken!

L

LuciaBella

Oh thats funny! If you don't mind me asking, why did you sell it? Do you have a new Volvo? I'm looking to get a new car and love Volvo's

brittany741

I loved Volvos too. We sold because the maintenence cost was exhorbinant and space was limited.

If you can afford the parts and labor, AND an aftermarket warranty, I think you should be good if you plan on keeping it. They do not hold their value very well so you're on the good end of things if you look at a used one.

The safety is decent-good for a sedan/wagon. The car seat installs can be very difficult and the BV was a bit too large for the car so we had to buy a Diplomat in order for a passenger to get in up front.

There are some key things to watch out for in them mechanically- namely the AWD systems (if you don't live up north I would recommend a FWD version) - and some of the transmissions (avoid 2001 year models). Both are costly and repairs could easily cost as much as the car itself.

If you are needing more specific information, feel free to PM me, or ask here and I will try to get more information for you.

ETA: We got a 2004 Sienna XLE Limited. We will not be buying another Volvo as our main car, for what it's worth.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC