Are European infant car seats REALLY illegal in the US?

U

Unregistered

I had my first baby in Germany so I bought a European stroller and infant car seat that meet the EU regulations. Now I am about to have my second child and I live in the US. I was planning on using my European infant car seat but I also wondered whether or not it was legal here. It does not have a chest clip.

I see many replies that state it is illegal. Can someone post the source/reference to support this claim? I have not had any luck searching on the internet.

Thanks.

ADS

j4m4d8

What state are you in? Most (possibly all) states require car seats to meet federal standards. If you read your state law, you will likely see this.

j4m4d8

Example of Michigan's law:

257.710d Child restraint system required; exceptions; violation as civil infraction; points;
abstract; exemption by rules; alternate means of protection.
Sec. 710d.
(1) Except as provided in this section, or as otherwise provided by law, a rule promulgated
pursuant to the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328, or
federal regulation, each driver transporting a child less than 4 years of age in a motor vehicle
shall properly secure that child in a child restraint system that meets the standards prescribed in
49 C.F.R. 571.213.

Here's the link to C.F.R. 571.213:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi...LE=49&PART=571&SECTION=213&SUBPART=&TYPE=TEXT

I haven't been able to find any import laws on car seats, but I haven't looked too hard, either. However, the state laws say it needs to meet federal standards anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC