News UPDATE: VIDEO Rear facing is best - TRUE STORY

luv2bfishin

Hi all, Grandpa here! Still pounding away at the huge benefits of extended rear facing of children.

Many of you may have seen the original posting. It involved my 18 month old grandson who broke his neck in a front facing car seat. If not, here it is again: http://http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59783

The video is finished. It is posted at a website http://www.joelsjourney.org I can't seem to upload it to YouTube yet, waiting to hear back from them.

On one page of the site there is a compilation of links regarding rear facing, that I determined were some of the most compelling articles on extended rear facing. I reviewed a ton of information.

Some are short reads, while others are very in-depth. One of the most interesting is the actual crash data report . Real accidents, real results.

After reading the many articles and forums, there is still one thing that sticks in my throat. The pediatricians who say to forward face at 12 mos / 20lbs! This is wrong. My advice is to ask that pediatrician "what is the current position of American Acadamy of Pediatricians (AAP) on front facing"? Most will probably have to go look it up....if they can even find it! Well, here it is:

" Children should face the rear of the vehicle until they are at least 1 year of age and weigh at least 20 lb to decrease the risk of cervical spine injury in the event of a crash. Infants who weigh 20 lb before 1 year of age should ride rear facing in a convertible seat or infant seat approved for higher weights until at least 1 year of age.3,4 If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back."

By the way, Joel is doing really great. He's in a plastic collar now and doing his physical therapy. But his arms are still a concern. His hands work well, but he can't lift his arms when there are hanging at his side. But he's walking around like he owns the place!

Wishing you all safe travel through the holidays.........

ADS

horseymom

Fantastic video. I'm so glad to hear Joel is getting better with each day. I will be passing on your video to friends and family. Please let us know if and when you get it posted to youtube. HUGS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Excellent job on the video; thank you so much for sharing your grandson's story and doing what you can to help other children.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
It there any way to get it downloaded so I can use it in my classes? I have sent it to my email list already, along with the story.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
That's for posting the video and link. I am happy to hear Joel is doing well.

I do agree that one of the huge issues we face is that pediatricians are still telling folks 1 and 20. They just are not up to date, even though the AAP recommendations changed years ago. The average parent does not seek the advise of a CPST. They listen to their ped. When their peds tells them it's ok, they go with it. I think if we could get more peds educated, we would start to see many more parents keeping their little one's rear facing.

Holly

Excellant video! Thank you for making it! It is really powerful!
I was considering turning my 2 year old forward facing when my new baby is born in February, but this helped me to make the decision to continue to RF her longer.
I have posted a link to your video on my blog, and on 2 other mom forums.

fyrfightermomma

I can't get the video to show. It's just a white box. I just got a Mac. Does that have something to do with it? THere's nothing there...just a white square.

Help! I wanna see it :(

luv2bfishin

It there any way to get it downloaded so I can use it in my classes? I have sent it to my email list already, along with the story.
to get a video sent to you, send email request & purpose of the use of the video to: info@joelsjourney.org
we would like to keep some record of who we send it to, in case of any changes to it in the future.

Last edited:
Hi all, Grandpa here! Still pounding away at the huge benefits of extended rear facing of children.

Many of you may have seen the original posting. It involved my 18 month old grandson who broke his neck in a front facing car seat. If not, here it is again: http://http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59783

The video is finished. It is posted at a website http://www.joelsjourney.org I can't seem to upload it to YouTube yet, waiting to hear back from them.

On one page of the site there is a compilation of links regarding rear facing, that I determined were some of the most compelling articles on extended rear facing. I reviewed a ton of information.

Some are short reads, while others are very in-depth. One of the most interesting is the actual crash data report . Real accidents, real results.

After reading the many articles and forums, there is still one thing that sticks in my throat. The pediatricians who say to forward face at 12 mos / 20lbs! This is wrong. My advice is to ask that pediatrician "what is the current position of American Acadamy of Pediatricians (AAP) on front facing"? Most will probably have to go look it up....if they can even find it! Well, here it is:

" Children should face the rear of the vehicle until they are at least 1 year of age and weigh at least 20 lb to decrease the risk of cervical spine injury in the event of a crash. Infants who weigh 20 lb before 1 year of age should ride rear facing in a convertible seat or infant seat approved for higher weights until at least 1 year of age.3,4 If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back."

By the way, Joel is doing really great. He's in a plastic collar now and doing his physical therapy. But his arms are still a concern. His hands work well, but he can't lift his arms when there are hanging at his side. But he's walking around like he owns the place!

Wishing you all safe travel through the holidays.........

I am so glad he is doing better! My prayers are with Joel and your family every day.... Thank you so much for making this video. I just wanted to tell you after reading your story I have now 3 people who are going to Rearface because of your story.

Can I ask permission to use this on my myspace site? www.myspace.com/carseatsafteynut (it gets tons of questions in daily).
(I will e-mail you though to double check).

Thanks again and I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!!!!!!

NotJUSTamom

Wow. I have been getting a tad bit lax with letting Lex FF lately. :thumbsdown: But this really drove the point home again. Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad Joel is getting better. God is great. :)

PixieEMT

Thank you grandpa! You did a wonderful job!

I'm glad to see Joel is getting stronger and better.
I can't wait for you to post it on Youtube.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I can't get the video to show. It's just a white box. I just got a Mac. Does that have something to do with it? THere's nothing there...just a white square.

Help! I wanna see it :(
Do you have the Flip4Mac plugin? If not, get it as the video is a WMV video (Windows Media). I had no issues viewing it on my Mac with that plugin installed and Firefox (I didn't try Safari).

fyrfightermomma

Do you have the Flip4Mac plugin? If not, get it as the video is a WMV video (Windows Media). I had no issues viewing it on my Mac with that plugin installed and Firefox (I didn't try Safari).

I installed the flip4mac and firefox last night and it still won't work from the website :( Luckily Joel's grandfather just emailed it to me. I wish I could figure out how to make it work through the site though!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Bom-pa, that video was fantastic. I LOVED how you stated the facts so clearly and so easily. I loved how the music didn't overtake the video. I loved how you spoke through it which made us listen AND read the words at the same time. Really, really good job. :thumbsup:

My thoughts are with Joel, you, his mom and dad, and the rest of your family and hope that his rehabilitation proceeds quickly and positively.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I installed the flip4mac and firefox last night and it still won't work from the website :( Luckily Joel's grandfather just emailed it to me. I wish I could figure out how to make it work through the site though!
Weird then. I did initially just have a white box, and I got worried I wouldn't see it (because I had already read your post), so I right clicked on the white box to see if a video was actually there and at the same time it turned red like the rest of the page and shortly after the "play" bar showed up at the bottom.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC