Question help! conversion van (?) and carseat

U

Unregistered

We'll be traveling to Seattle in a week and a half to visit family. My aunt and uncle, who we are staying with, have what I think is called a conversion van. Kind of like a small rv. Anyway the seats with seat belts are the drivers, passengers and 2 others. The 2 others sit so that you are riding facing the rear of the vehicle. Where is the best place to put the carseat.

(oh and renting another vehicle isn't an option for us, DH and I are both too young and don't have the extra $. The only reason we're able to go is that the plane tickets are a gift from my side of the family).

ADS

daycaremom2002

Carseats can't be installed on a rearfacing seat.

Is the carseat going to be used rear facing or forward facing? If it is forward facing, then you can install it in the front passenger seat without worry. You just want to move the vehicle seat as far back as it goes.

If it is rear facing, then it will depend on the year of the van and whether or not it has airbags. A rear facing carseat can't be installed in front of an airbag.

Are there any other family members who live there that can trade vehicles or at least be the ones to transport your family when necessary?

U

Unregistered

Their the only family up there, and the it's only vehicle that they currently have. (they are retired and travel between their family and the home they keep in Seattle).

My son will be one of the 20th, while we are traveling. But we plan of Extended rear-facing him. I'll have to ask her when I call to work on food plans what year it is but I believe it's fairly new and would have airbags.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If your son is rear-facing and the van has airbags that cannot be manually disabled, there isn't a way to safely transport your son in the van.

A word of caution: the front passenger seat might have airbag SENSORS, but those are not fool-proof, and the vehicle's manual (and likely stickers on the visor) will tell you not to install a RF car seat there, regardless of what the sensor says.

Your only option would be to turn your son forward-facing, which would be violating manufacturer instructions and possibly breaking state law if done before he's a year old (and 20 lbs). Even after he's 1, he's still far safer RF, as you know. Given the circumstances, that might be your only option, though I certainly can't recommend it.

Slightly off-topic, but will your aunt and uncle both be in the car with you, your DH, and DS? Because it sounds like there are only four seatbelts, and that would be five people.

U

Unregistered

My son will be one on the 20th, two days before we fly home. But we are extended rear facing him in his Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 until he's hit the limits for it (35 pounds).

And the seat belt thing, my aunt is one of those that unfortunately doesn't think she "needs" a seat belt. She also can't see why Micah has to ride rear facing. We're trying to see if we can take some money out of savings to rent a car somehow.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My son will be one on the 20th, two days before we fly home. But we are extended rear facing him in his Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 until he's hit the limits for it (35 pounds).

And the seat belt thing, my aunt is one of those that unfortunately doesn't think she "needs" a seat belt. She also can't see why Micah has to ride rear facing. We're trying to see if we can take some money out of savings to rent a car somehow.
I would find a way to rent a car if there will be an unrestrained person in the vehicle. It's just not worth the risk of having her injure your child be being thrown into him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC