Car Advice

PinkSander

Okay so I have lots of advice for car seats, now I move onto cars! Here are what I'm looking at

Most likely will seriously look at all 2009s
Ford Focus Coupe SE
Ford Focus SE
Chevrolet Aveo 4 door sedan
Toyota Yaris 4 door sedan
Toyota Corolla

What I really really want but just can't afford right now

Toyota Prius
Honda CR-V

I'm not real picky on the front seats but the back seats I do not like the ERS??? I think. The seat belts that stay slack except in an emergency. I don't trust them. I would much rather have the ones where you pull them all the way out and they lock as they retract. Also I really want my future car to have the LATCH system, not only for Audrey, but for when I have my own children, if I can't afford a newer Car, I want this to have LATCH. Also I need the car to if need be last me 5-15 years for the afore mentioned reason. I really like the looks of the Fords and the Yaris. Does anybody have any of these cars? How do they drive? I don't have my license yet, so I don't have any driving experience.

Sooo heres the run down
  • Last 5-15 years
    LATCH system
    Locking Retract seat belts
    Under $20,000.00
    Not real expensive to have fixed if something fails
    Great for First time Driver

ADS

Citrine

All cars will last 5-15years as long as you take care of them. We do our 06 Pilot, and 04 passat every 5k for oil changes. We also in the last month did normal maintaince on them. the passat was do for 40k check up. that cost $975. The pilot needed a 30k check up, that was $575 We have never had any problems with our cars. You can get great deals on 08 models right now. The dealers want to get rid of 08s and are selling them at low prices. My MIL has a CR-V and loves it. It has a very roomy trunk. She can fit her golf clubs in with out having to angel them in. Fun to drive to.

Olivia 4.26.04 39lb 45in Regent/GN
Makayla 9.16.06 26lb 30in RF Wizard

LuvBug

If you want ALR seatbelts instead of the locking latchplates then stick with toyota, honda, and ford.

Are you going for new only? Would you be completely against used? What about a program car?

PinkSander

No not against used at all, I have been having fun with Toyota Build a Car feature on their website You get to see exactly what your car will look like. I just like the idea of getting a new car, because everything I have ever had has been somebody else. I like the thought of having something that has not been handed down to me.

I am normally not very picky. But when it comes to safety I'm nuts! lol

All I need is
Wheel locks
Being in MI where people are so in need of money, they are steeling Man Hole covers to hawk for cash, I would very much like to keep my tires! lol
4 doors
LATCH
Retracting Locking seat belts
CD/Radio
cloth seats (I live in Michigan and leather and psuedo leather gets hot! lol)
something easy to drive
ooh and have a MSRP of under $20 grand

LuvBug

what about shopping around at your local dealers and seeing what they have that is "new" but last year's model and whatnot? They will be starting the end of the year sales soon as well. I would go see what is available locally and call around to places you are willing to drive to get something. Be sure to play with everything!
Vehicles are really a very personal thing, you need to love it and feel comfortable in it.

I absolutely adore my corolla. I have an 03 corolla(purchased in 02) and so I have had it almost 7 years and not had to do anything but replace the battery, oil changes, tires, brakes, etc... I can't imagine getting anything different right now. If I had to buy something new, I'd probably end up getting a 03-08 corolla, or a Prius. I just love my car! Or ok I might get a 05-07 Ford Freestar... maybe lol!
The 09 corolla is different than the 03-08 BTW, they redesigned them again. And my 03, even after all these years, gets 30mpg in the city using 87 non-ethanol :love:

Melanie

Just want to add that wheel locks can be added to any vehicle. I'm sure you can get them at the dealership. Auto parts stores should sell them too (and for less). It's basically just 4 special lug nuts that require a special "key" to unlock them. You replace one of the original lug nuts on each tire.

Pixels

Last 5-15 years - any vehicle should last to about 100,000 miles if you take care of it
LATCH system - all cars have LATCH in at least two seats for model year 2002 and newer
Locking Retract seat belts - all cars have a way to lock the seatbelts since 1996 or so
Under $20,000.00 - with the economy the way it is, I have seen SUVs for under 10K. The dealers are desperate to sell.
Not real expensive to have fixed if something fails
Great for First time Driver
Wheel locks - can be added, as PP said
4 doors - available on most models of vehicle
CD/Radio- available on most models of vehicle
cloth seats - available on most models of vehicle
something easy to drive

Take a look at the NHTSA and IIHS's safety ratings. All vehicles must pass a minimum but some only barely do, and others far exceed the minimums. I have a 2002 Civic that I love. I thoroughly researched safety because I knew that I would likely be keeping the car around 10 years, and that meant that there was a good chance that I'd be driving my own children in it. And now here I am, 6 years later I have my daughter and only 50K miles on the car. I haven't had any problems with the car at all except when I got hit (hit-and-run while it was parked :mad: but at least the person fessed up).

PinkSander

Hi Pixels. I do have the Civic on my list, but it on the higher end as far as costs are concerned, but I will movie it to my definite test drive list

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
If you want ALR seatbelts instead of the locking latchplates then stick with toyota, honda, and ford.

Are you going for new only? Would you be completely against used? What about a program car?

Most of GM vehicle are ALR seatbelts. I think they have totally gotten away from the locking latchplates as none of their new vehicles have lapbelts anymore. I only think Dodge,Jeep, Chrysler are the only ones still using the locking latchplates.

LuvBug

Most of GM vehicle are ALR seatbelts. I think they have totally gotten away from the locking latchplates as none of their new vehicles have lapbelts anymore. I only think Dodge,Jeep, Chrysler are the only ones still using the locking latchplates.

thank goodness! I can't stand locking latchplates lol!
(and they are definitely a dealbreaker for me!)

I believe all 09 cars have to have side curtain airbags now. If that's so, I'd try and go for an 09 if you can swing it. On economy cars like the ones listed, it can be hard to find them equipped with side air bags if you go used.

Personally, the Corolla is my favorite of the ones listed. Focus and Yaris are nice enough too. Just prefer the Corolla the most. The only one that bothers me is the Aveo. I hated the original one (horrible rebadged Daewoo) and after a quick peak at the current one, I didn't see enough improvements to change my feelings about it.

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
While I haven't researched thoroughly to confirm it, I recently saw an article about changes for the '09 model year stating that Ford intended to include headrests in the rear seat in the '09 Focus models. The '08 Focus and some earlier Focus models lack rear headrests, something to factor into your decision if you're shopping for a Focus.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC