3 in 3rd row 04 Odyssey HELP

Ems_mom

I have search some threads but have not been able to find this configuration.

I need to purchase a belt pos booster for a 5yr 45" 45lbs. I was planning on buying a graco turbo or a Evenflo Big Kid but I'm not sure which is thinner?

I have a Graco Snug ride infant carrier (but I may need to purchase a RF Convertable infant seat) for a 3mo old

I have a Cosco "Eddie Bauer" Booster High Back (but might need to purchase something new to make them fit) for a FF 2 1/2 yr old.

AND they need to fit in the 3rd row of my 04 Honda Odyssey.

These are for daycare children, my two children are in the 2nd row captians chairs. I am hopeing to keep the cost down as much as possible!

Anyone able to do this? Any Ideas on the best seats and configuration?

TIA

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's pretty tough...I've had three seats back there, but they are obscure/expired (and sorely missed in the marketplace :(). I'd honestly go with the Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster for the big kiddo (at www.albeebaby.com it's considerably narrower than the Turbo or Big Kid, and fortunately it's cheap). You might be able to work the other seats in there with it, possibly the infant seat without the base would work best. Graco Platinum Cargo is another choice if you can find it (not sure if it's out of production or just not sold at Babies R Us anymore), it's narrower and has taller top slots than the Eddie Bauer you have now. Cosco Scenera is a thinnish convertible choice that you could use for the 2 yo now or for the baby later or both.
good luck!

catfeet

I've an '05 Ody and have done 3 across in my 3rd row. Here's what worked for me. Passenger side outboard, Radian, Middle, Combi Connection, Driver side outboard, Combi Kobuck. Now, I'm certain that a Turbo would have worked there too, as I belive it's slightly narrower than the Kobuck.

HTH,
Ann

Chex

I've an '05 Ody and have done 3 across in my 3rd row. Here's what worked for me. Passenger side outboard, Radian, Middle, Combi Connection, Driver side outboard, Combi Kobuck. Now, I'm certain that a Turbo would have worked there too, as I belive it's slightly narrower than the Kobuck.

HTH,
Ann

Not to derail the thread here, but how did the kids on the sides get into their seats w/a rfing seat in the middle position? I'm trying to figure out how to do 3 across in our 3rd row (for when the baby comes) and haven't figured out a good solution yet.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
2004 is narrower (old style ody) than the 2005... but it might work! (I don't think the Turbo is narrower than the Kobuk...but at least the armrests are easier to work under :rolleyes:)

catfeet

The Turbo seems narrower to me, but maybe that's just because I'm dealing with the rounded sides on the Kobuck on a daily basis. ;)

The Radian is a 5 point harness, so ds2 just got in. Ds 1 would also get in and buckle. I'd then put the baby into the base. It was a tight fit, but it puzzle pieced together & did work. I've even got pics, lol...

061207001.jpg

Chex

Oh, I was thinking you still had the captain's chairs upright. I'll need to have 2 carseats installed in those too, so I was trying to figure out how to get kids around the rfing seat to the outboard seats in the back with the captain's chairs still up.

Good to know that combo works, though...I still haven't found a good solution for mine.

erinnicolevan

Oh, I was thinking you still had the captain's chairs upright. I'll need to have 2 carseats installed in those too, so I was trying to figure out how to get kids around the rfing seat to the outboard seats in the back with the captain's chairs still up.

Good to know that combo works, though...I still haven't found a good solution for mine.

I don't have an Odyssey. I just got an '09 7-passenger Sienna and am due with #5 in April.

My current plan is to put my oldest (6) in a Parkway in the 3rd row driver side, my #3 (he will be 3) FF in the 3rd row middle in a Radian and put the new baby in the 3rd row, passenger side, in a KeyFit. I don't know if all of these seats will fit, but that is what I've got worked out in my head. I am waiting to see the gender of the baby before I purchase my infant seat.

In the middle row, I've got the two captain's chairs pushed together, so there is a little more room to get to the 3rd row from the passenger side. I plan to keep my #4 (she is almost 2) RF in a Marathon behind the driver and my #2 child (5) in a Parkway in the middle captain's chair.

I think it will allow me enough room to get to the middle 3rd row to buckle my #3's harness and then plop the infant seat onto the base.

Otherwise, I guess I will need to see if I can somehow work the two Parkways and Radian in the 3rd row and keep both RF seats in the middle row.

Anyway, that was my rambling that probably has no use to you! LOL Congrats on #5! My kids are all about the same ages of yours! :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, Ann, after you declined my Kobuk, it went to the dump...those belt guides were more than I could stand (and the rattle, mine was too loud to drive with... musta been a lemon, I bet? :p :D)

Chex

I've actually been thinking about trading in our Odyssey for a Sienna because I think there are more options with it.

See, a Radian won't work in the middle of the 3rd row in the Ody because of the funky seatbelt that comes out of the ceiling. And it won't work with LATCH, even though I can get a good install, because the LATCH is off-center and so it won't allow for another carseat next to it on one of the sides.

The Sienna's 3rd row is wider than the Odyssey's because it doesn't have the spare tire next to it. So I think there are more options for 3-across that row than there are with the Ody. The ONLY thing I've been able to make work (at least w/the seats I've got) is FF Radian passenger side, Parkway, Parkway. The downside to this is that it's such a tight fit that the kids in the Parkways can't get their hands in between the carseats well enough to be able to buckle themselves, so I'd be leaning over the seats every single time to buckle them up and unbuckle them. And it doesn't even work with skinnier boosters (like the SR-C or the FPSV) because of the armrests, even I can't get my hand in there.

erinnicolevan

I've actually been thinking about trading in our Odyssey for a Sienna because I think there are more options with it.

See, a Radian won't work in the middle of the 3rd row in the Ody because of the funky seatbelt that comes out of the ceiling. And it won't work with LATCH, even though I can get a good install, because the LATCH is off-center and so it won't allow for another carseat next to it on one of the sides.

The Sienna's 3rd row is wider than the Odyssey's because it doesn't have the spare tire next to it. So I think there are more options for 3-across that row than there are with the Ody. The ONLY thing I've been able to make work (at least w/the seats I've got) is FF Radian passenger side, Parkway, Parkway. The downside to this is that it's such a tight fit that the kids in the Parkways can't get their hands in between the carseats well enough to be able to buckle themselves, so I'd be leaning over the seats every single time to buckle them up and unbuckle them. And it doesn't even work with skinnier boosters (like the SR-C or the FPSV) because of the armrests, even I can't get my hand in there.

Hmmm, the middle seat in the 3rd row of the Sienna has the seatbelt coming from the ceiling. I haven't tried installing in that position yet. Hmm. And, it would be such a pain to have to buckle the Parkway kids every single time. I am really going to have to play with this. Maybe this weekend I will see if the Radian and both Parkways will fit back there and the older two can get themselves buckled in. Gah. I really didn't want the Sprinter and the 8-passenger wouldn't have been easier because kids would've been climbing over seats or going through the tailgate. LOL I will keep you updated if I find anything that works well...and easy. :)

itzmeigh

What year is your Odyssey? Mine's an 07 and I can get a Radian in the middle with LATCH. I think I can do the seatbelt if I work long enough but I don't remember. I might not can.

In my third row I know I can get (And can show pictures of)...

Radian Radian Radian (any combo of RFing/FFing)

Radian Radian Booster (The 2 Radians will fit completly on the 60 part of the 60/40 split leaving the whole 40 open for just about anything)

Radian FFing BLVD Radian (the BLVD HAS to go FFing if it is in the middle. I haven't tried it on the side but I can.)

That's what I know works. In just a bit I need to go out and move 2 Radians to the 3rd row any (getting ready for company!) so I can try the Radian in the middle with the belt again. I know I tried it once and didn't get it but I could have sworn that I have made it work before...

And I haven't tried but can try a Radian Radian Nautilus. I'm about positive that it would work because like I said, with the Radians completely on the 60 split I have the whole 40 open.

Chex

I really should just start another thread....I feel bad for hijacking this one.

Thanks for keeping me updated on what works for you, erinnicolevan. I think your baby's coming before mine (mine's coming in June). So it'll be nice to find out what works for you.

itzmeigh, I have an '05 Ody and I'll just tell you my situation and maybe you'll be able to think of a solution for me.

I have tried and tried to get an install w/the seatbelt on the Radian in the middle position, but haven't been able to because of the 2 long belt stalks. And when I installed it using LATCH, it made the install off-center and I couldn't get a booster seat in next to it on the passenger side. I didn't try another Radian next to it, though, because I won't need another Radian at that point (at least not FF).

I was able to get a Radian installed RF in both outboard positions, but it made it so that the Captain's chairs had to be so far forward that the kids in those seats would have their legs squished. DH and I are tall, so we can't have the front chairs pushed up super far at all (especially the driver's seat because that's the only one DH ever sits in).

I'm going to have 2 rear-facers once this baby comes and so I even tried 2 RFing seats next to each other in the 3rd row, thinking I'd put a booster next to them in the passenger side. I could get a Marathon and a Radian next to each other, but again, couldn't get a tight install on the Radian and having a RF Radian in the 3rd pushes the 2nd row chairs up too far anyway, so that didn't work. I then tried a Marathon and a BLVD rfing next to each other in the 3rd row, but they were way too wide to have a booster next to, so that option was out.

I have DS in a Radian right now, but he's pretty close to outgrowing it and will probably be too tall for it by the time the baby comes. (He'll be 6 1/2 then....he's already 50" now). So DD2 will be the only one needing a FF Radian at that point. And while I'd LOVE to keep DS harnessed and put him in the Husky once he outgrows the Radian, I don't think that's going to be possible.

The 3-across that I tried to see if it was possible didn't work. I tried a RF Marathon outboard driver's side in the 3rd row w/a Pkwy next to it and a FF Radian outboard passenger side. Well, once the 2 "installed" seats were in, the booster didn't fit between them. The Pkwy's torso wings don't puzzle well with the Marathon (the part where baby's feet are). So that didn't work.

Oh, and I also tried a RF Marathon and a RF BLVD, both outboard w/a Pkwy in the middle, and that didn't work either. Again, because of the seats not-puzzling well.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling.....if anybody has any ideas, please let me know.

itzmeigh

I'll see what I can do for you. I have 3 Radians a BLVD and a Fisher Price Booster. It does sound like maybe the 3rd row in the 05 is different then the 07. I have to take mine into the dealer anyway (oil change and tire leak) so I will look if they have an 05 on the lot and see if it is different. No worries. I've done it before for someone! haha! And that time it was a Crysler T&C and I was in my brand new 07 Odyssey. The Crysler dealer just couldn't figure out why I wasn't intrested in buying one of their T&C's! Hum... I wonder...

Chex

I would be interested to see if you notice a difference, because supposedly they're the same model. '05 was the first year the new model came out and I don't think it's supposed to change until 2010. It's the dang spare tire that takes up so much room back there. Hopefully they will have changed that with the 2010 model.

It's good to know I can get 2 Radians next to each other back there...just wish that was what I needed. (Darn these tall kids! :p)

catfeet

LOL, Ann, after you declined my Kobuk, it went to the dump...those belt guides were more than I could stand (and the rattle, mine was too loud to drive with... musta been a lemon, I bet? :p :D)

Lol...I didn't exactly decline, I just didn't have the $ avalible when you were selling. I lusted, though! I got ours later after Aer Lingus conviently lost our TB for us. This one doesn't rattle one bit! And I actually like the belt guides, they make my "could care less" 7 yo put them where they need to be! Besides, back in the 3rd row, I can't hear a thing :whistle:!

As to the whole seats down/seats up thing, in this config they indeed were down. We had 3 grownups in the middle row. Right now, I've got a WZ and the Kobuck in the back seat. I think, though, if I needed to, I could still stick the RN in the middle back there and slide the seat to the side in the second row so's kids could get in and still have both captain's chairs full of seats. Again, it'd be a tight buckle for my boostered kid, but it's probably do-able. I could try it for you tomorrow if you'd like.

Ann

christineka

Not to brag too much about my tiny kids, but... My plan now is to keep them rfing as long as possible. That way I can do 3 rfers across the back. No one has to climb back there through the captain's chairs. I don't know what to do when dd reaches age 5.5 and maybe too tall to rf. I'm counting on the multimac and put 4 kids across the back row. They are saying 3-6 months to get it in the US. I need to figure out the bench seat measurement in metric to see if the multimac would fit. We're now planning on getting the sienna sometime before June.

erinnicolevan

Not to brag too much about my tiny kids, but... My plan now is to keep them rfing as long as possible. That way I can do 3 rfers across the back. No one has to climb back there through the captain's chairs. I don't know what to do when dd reaches age 5.5 and maybe too tall to rf. I'm counting on the multimac and put 4 kids across the back row. They are saying 3-6 months to get it in the US. I need to figure out the bench seat measurement in metric to see if the multimac would fit. We're now planning on getting the sienna sometime before June.

How do you get three RF into their seats? LOL I just can't imagine. I'd be all hot and sweaty, I think.

itzmeigh

I would be interested to see if you notice a difference, because supposedly they're the same model. '05 was the first year the new model came out and I don't think it's supposed to change until 2010. It's the dang spare tire that takes up so much room back there. Hopefully they will have changed that with the 2010 model.

It's good to know I can get 2 Radians next to each other back there...just wish that was what I needed. (Darn these tall kids! :p)

I went and looked today Chex and they are the same 3rd row. Here are some pictures of my installs...

Here is 2 Radians outboard Passanger's side and middle with the Fisher Price booster on widest setting Driver's outboard.
P1040092.jpg

Radian BLVD Radian. The BLVD isn't installed and I didn't try the seatbelt with it but I could have done the LATCH for sure. I just didn't because the seat wasn't staying there. The BLVD would not fit RFing. Not sure if it will outboard with the 2 Radians side by side but I will try it tomorrow.
P1020756.jpg

Radians FFing. (again, the middle seat isn't installed only because I wasn't leaving it there.)
P1020757.jpg

FFing RFing FFing Radians. (middle Radian again, not installed.)
P1020758.jpg

This is looking down on the FFing and RFing Radian showing how much room there is between them.
P1020760.jpg

That's what I have in photobucket right now. If there is a combo of seats that you want to see let me know and I can try it tomorrow. I'll have all the seats out of the van because I need to move Jacob to the back for company. So I don't mind trying anything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC