Question so I'm getting a 2000 Xterra XE...

micapu

it doesn't have LATCH, should I get it retrofitted? Is it really worth it? I've never had a car with LATCH, but we just got a Britax Frontier for DS2 and we're TTC so I'd really like some advice.

It would be very difficult for DH to install the Frontier with the seatbelt, so that's one reason LATCH would be better. Another is that I'm concerned about head excursion? (this is what you people have done to me, a month ago I'd have never given this a moment's thought!) :confused: I can see why, with extended harnessing and how heavy these bigger seats are, top tethering would be a good thing.

Also, what do we do about the dog? A few weeks ago we adopted a 63lbs Bluetick Coonhound (she's HUGE :love:) and I put off trying to figure out how to "restrain" her in the car until we had our new (to us) vehicle. So now what? Do we harness her? Buy one of those barrier things? (this doesn't really seem safe to me, it would protect US from her 63lbs but do little to keep HER from getting hurt, right?)

I'd also appreciate recommendations on seat covers we can use to protect the vehicle from the kids' & dog's thrills & spills without interfering w/ carseat safety. TIA!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
it doesn't have LATCH, should I get it retrofitted? Is it really worth it? I've never had a car with LATCH, but we just got a Britax Frontier for DS2 and we're TTC so I'd really like some advice.

It would be very difficult for DH to install the Frontier with the seatbelt, so that's one reason LATCH would be better. Another is that I'm concerned about head excursion? (this is what you people have done to me, a month ago I'd have never given this a moment's thought!) :confused: I can see why, with extended harnessing and how heavy these bigger seats are, top tethering would be a good thing.

To get latch, you would have to buy a newer car, sorry. About tether, you can have them installed. part number 88894-89900. Cost is about $15.

Also, what do we do about the dog? A few weeks ago we adopted a 63lbs Bluetick Coonhound (she's HUGE :love:) and I put off trying to figure out how to "restrain" her in the car until we had our new (to us) vehicle. So now what? Do we harness her? Buy one of those barrier things? (this doesn't really seem safe to me, it would protect US from her 63lbs but do little to keep HER from getting hurt, right?)

I'd also appreciate recommendations on seat covers we can use to protect the vehicle from the kids' & dog's thrills & spills without interfering w/ carseat safety. TIA!

Don't get a barrrier, unless it is the type that bolts right into the frame of the car, really, I wouldn't do it at all. Look into a pet buckle. I will go find pics, brb.

ETA:

Ok, here are some pics of my dogs in the pet buckle. It is crash testing, that is why I chose it. Now, being a coonhound, is she hyper? My coonhound sure was and would need a lot of training before dealing with something like this.

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4758.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

micapu

awwwwwww, what a gorgeous doggie you have there!!! (the little girl in the background is pretty darn cute too;) )

My doggie is awesome in the car, she spends most of her time laying down, except when she needs to get her bearings, so I think she'd do well with a harness. We'd work on training her in it, she's not hyper at all. I want to see if I can get her certified as a therapy dog, eventually, so that would mean she'd be spending lots of time in the car in addition to family outings. Is there info somewhere about pet buckles -- I imagine that just like with the children's seats, not all pet buckles are created equal?

And ok, so I thought there was a way to get LATCH retrofitting done in at least *some* vehicles, is that not the case? I'm so confused. And if I purchase that part number you posted, then what? Do we install it ourselves? (we're both telecomm techs, so pretty handy with tools, but drilling a hole in a car kinda scares me)

erinnicolevan

I'm not an expert, but we kept our 2000 Xterra for about a year after we had our first baby - almost 7 years ago. It was so difficult to get her carseats installed because the way the seats sloped backwards. Maybe with the newer seats, you will have an easier time. There was a time during her first summer, that I went through about 6 seats in a 2-week period because I just couldn't get it tight. Drove me mad!! LOL

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
There are 3 8mm weld nuts in the cargo area. Call your Nissan dealer to see if it is sometime you can do yourself. I did do one in a Subara once.

Pet buckle is the brand. I will go look for a link. Glad your dog is better behaved than mine. My coonhound was a rescue, and would run from the front to the back of the car, barking at trucks. :yikes: Toby is the dobie in the pics. He is very calm too and I want to train him as a therapy dog.

micapu

thanks for linking to the product and the sled test :eek:

Ok, so retrofitting our Xterra (we got it today) would consist only of installing tethers? Are they top tethers for preventing head excursion, or... floor tethers? Please bear in mind that I've never had a vehicle with all the bells and whistles so I really don't know what-all the options are. TIA!

micapu

ok, I know I've seen someone post on the forum who is a certified tech AND an Xterra owner, I was hoping she'd post on this thread and "hold my hand" through this :eek: Obviously, (now that I've obsessed and read up on this stuff some more) the lack of LATCH doesn't really matter right now, since DS2 is 40+lbs and I need to use the vehicle seatbelt/s for his seat. Maybe by the time we're actually close to having another newborn we'll be able to buy my dream Volvo or Subaru... w/ LATCH.

So, when I order this tether part, do I order one or two? There's no headrest in the center seat in the rear, so I'm thinking that's a good spot for the Frontier, especially if we're going to be transporting an additional passenger in the rear seat :confused: 6' tall DS1 will ride in the rear passenger side, the Frontier in the center (tethered), and an empty spot for someone else? Would it be good to install a tether for the rear driver's side seat, JIC we give another child a ride or we have to move DS2's Frontier to that spot? Am I overthinking this?!?!?

And EllieMae (doggie) is safer in the cargo area, right? buckled in, of course, to the cargo-thingies?

Heather98012

One thing to note (& you may know this already, so forgive me if I restate the obvious): Once your son hits 40 lbs, you can't use the Frontier with Latch. It HAS to be installed using the belt. Now, when your son is big enough to use it as a booster (& maybe he is, I don't know) then you can install it with Latch again. So...Latch with harness up to 40 lbs, harness with seatbelt 40+ lbs, latch with booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC