What would you do?

misskerri

Here's the situation, and I THOUGHT I had this figured out, but last night's Marathon marathon has me re-thinking it, yet again.

My son was born in 2003. We bought 2 convertible seats for him in 2004. An Evenflo Triumph and a Graco ComfortSport. These seats are both set to expire in either 2009 or 2010 (I have to check the DOM on them). Right now, he is in Graco Nautiluses and really likes that seat.

My daughter is 10 months old. She needs to move out of the infant carriers, since she's almost to the weight and height limits on them. My PLAN was to put her in Nick's older seats, use them til they expire (which might be just before she turns 2, or might be just before she turns 3) and then get her Graco Nautiluses, as well (especially since they have a girly print now! Yay!).

However, I just looked at BRU and Graco's recommended age for the Nautilus is 3 years and up (for some reason, I thought you could put them in a Nautilus as soon as you could face them forward, not that I'm planning on facing her forward for a while yet), and if she's going to need new seats at 2...

What I'm asking is: What would you do in this situation? I have found a Britax Marathon for $189 with free shipping (girly and everything!). Should I go ahead and get her new seats, knowing that I will need to buy her a booster eventually? Or should I use the older seats as long as I can, and then buy her the Nautiluses, even if she's just 2 when the older seats expire?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd buy (a) Marathon(s) if it were me, rather than use those older seats for a year... just because MA's are so much easier to use, comfier, cuter, can rearface considerably longer...well, they are just nice, lol.

The webmaster is just wrong about the age 3 for the GN...though yeah, I wish they were right, I'd love to see kids only RF till then. It's 1 year and 20 pounds for the minimum.

You could use the Marathon till age 5 or so, and then decide on what nice boosters are available then, there should be a lot of fantastic choices, harnessed or not, when you are shopping again :thumbsup:

misskerri

That is honestly what I am leaning towards. Now I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see if Target cancels my MA order or not (I ordered 4...two for my daughter and 2 for my pregnant SIL and brother's upcoming baby). Now I really want those seats! Although...I'd REALLY like to have a cute girly one. :)

I don't think I would put a 1 year old in a Nautilus, even if I *were* inclined to turn her forward facing so early. It just doesn't look like it's the kind of seat that would be comfy until they're bigger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC