Question Positioning question

M

mom2two

I am hoping you can help me decide how to position my 2 carseats. I have an 07 Vibe. My daughter is 22 months old, 28 pounds and 33 inches; she is currently rear facing in an Alpha Omega Elite (which I detest). My son is 5 months old, about 20 pounds and 27 inches. I will be purchasing a True Fit for my daughter and moving my son to the Alpha Omega (until I can afford to buy another True Fit for him). I am thinking of turning my daughter forward facing when we buy the TF (although I may keep her rearfacing to the 35 pound TF limit). My question is what position would be safest for her when she is forward facing (behind the drivers seat or the passenger seat)? During the week its usually just me and the kids in the car, but on the weekend my husband usually drives my car and has the seat pushed back much farther than I do.

TIA for your help.

ADS

bubbaray

My DD#2 is about the same age and about 25lbs. She RFs in MAs and I have no plans to move her FF until she reaches 30lbs in one vehicle and 33lbs in the other (two different DOMs on the MAs).

Personally, I'd leave your DD RFg -- she can RF in the TF until 35lbs. RFg is 5x safer than FFg....

mamoomorgan

I too would keep your dd rf and I would put her (rf'ing or not) behind the passenger seat with your ds behind the driver. The reason I do this set-up with my kids is that I always get the littler one in and out whereas my older one occasionally climbs out of the car and to the curb by herself (with me holding the door open and standing there), and this way she's always on the curb side not street side.
I realize that your older is still younger than my youngest but still I have always preferred this arrangement.

canadiangie

Hi,

Your 5m/o will probably still need a 40-45 degree install, maybe a little less, but certainly more reclined that your 2y/o. With that and your dh's long legs in mind, I'd have your 5m/o behind the passenger side, and your 22m/o's seat installed as upright as 30 degrees (AOE) / or 35 degrees if/when you get a TF for her. I would keep your 22m/o rf for a while longer (good for you by the way :thumbsup:), probably until she's at least 24mos, though the longer the better. I think you might find the TF offers more rf leg room for her, and that it's overall easier to use than the AOE.

As for which side is safer, it really depends on who you ask, what year it is, and what province you live in. Collision stats change each year, and vary from place to place. There really is no general answer.

Because most side impact collisions also have an element of frontal movement, it's best to keep kids rear facing for as long as possible. If a child is ff their head moves forward and past the side walls of the car seat on impact. It then rotates over towards the point of impact. The head is not contained in the seatshell, the EPS/EPP foam can't do it's job as well.

On the flip side, if a child is rf their head moves farther into the seatshell of the car seat, stays there, and then rotates to the side. The side walls of the car seat contain the head, the seatshell (and EPS/EPP foam if applicable) absorb the initial impact. The spine is also kept more aligned.

Having a seat like the TF that rf's to 35lbs means that many children can make it to age 3+ rf. This is quite encouraging since we know, with certainty it's the safest way to ride no matter what type of collision. :thumbsup:

Hope that helps,

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC