crash test 2006: group 2/3 safer than group 1/2/3... which is best?

M

Marsus

I just found the results of 2006 crash test for European car seat

french language:
http://www.tcs.ch/main/fr/home/auto...kDownloadFile1.pdf/Kindersitztest 2006_fr.pdf

italian language:
http://www.upi.ch/media/infomedia/2006_05_24.htm

german language:
http://www.adac.de/Tests/Kindersich...lt.asp?ComponentID=147653&SourcePageID=147858

this document states that the group 1-2-3 (9-36 kg) car seat are less safe of group 2-3 ones. none carseat of group 1/2/3, but the kiddy plus, got 4-stars (out of 5), while the most part of group 2/3 got 4-stars. group 1/2/3 carseat are only "recomended" while group 2/3 are "highly recomended"

So my question is now: what is better to get (right now since I have to give her bebe confort Ises to the youngest dd) for my 3 years old/15,5 kg dd:

1. a group 1-2-3 car seat: one among STM Storchenmühle Starlight SP (Recaro Young Sport, probably the best one), Britax evolva 1-2-3, concord ultimax

or

2. a group 2-3 car seat: one among Concord Lift Evo PT, Cybex Solution Plus , Römer Kid Plus 06, maxi-cosi rodi xp, jane indy plus

the only group 1-2-3 with 4 stars is the Kiddy Life Pro (I/II/III), but it seems to me not very suitable to my dd!

so the point is: what is better a 4-stars carseat withoun harness or a 3-stars with 5-point harness?

many thanks again!

ADS

j4m4d8

OK, I used Google to translate the German site. In the part that explains how they tested it points out that seats were tested for each group that they were designed for and the LOWEST ratings out of the two or three groups are given for the seat. I personally feel it would have been more helpful to give separate ratings for each group, but I understand their point.

So when you look at the STM stork mill Starlight FR you see under weaknesses that the belt contacted the neck in the forward-facing crash test. That obviously applies to group II/III use, not group I use. It also says it couldn't be installed firmly in the vehicle. I'm not sure exactly what that refers to. The group II/III seats that we call boosters also said that, and to be honest I don't think that's a major issue for these seats. If it's referring to group I installation, it's a judgment I would take cautiously--it doesn't matter if they had trouble installing it in certain vehicles as long as it fits in YOUR vehicle well. On the other hand, you'd probably want to be doubly sure to try before you buy. In any case, it is quite likely that the Starlight received a 4-star rating when tested for group I use which is where you are at right now.

The site clearly recommended group II/III seats only for kids 4 and up. Since your daughter is only 3, and could use a 5-point harness for another 2.5 kilograms, I would go with a group I/II/III seat. She will likely be able to use the Starlight's 5-point harness right up until 18 kilograms. By then hopefully you will not have issues with the shoulder belt hitting her neck. If it is a problem (I doubt it will be), then you can always pass this seat down to your younger one and buy your daughter a group II/III seat at that point. Then when the younger one outgrows the harness you can put your older daughter (now taller) back in this seat and let the younger one use the group II/III seat.

To sum up, I would go with a 3-star, 5-point harness seat over the 4-star booster seat because your daughter isn't in the recommended age group for the group II/III seats.

Hope this isn't too hard to read.

Julie D.

M

Marsus

it was slightly hard (my English... :( ), but it was GREAT!!!
thanks a lot! you gave me very important hits, and you make me the things clear!
I must admit that a didn't go throught the german staff, but I should do it!

Starlight better than britax evolva 123 isn't it?
many thanks again
Lucilla

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC