Question dog seat belt harnesses

1carseatcrazymama

CPS Technician
I'm not sure if this is the best place for me to post this question so please feel free to move it wherever it best fits. I know I've seen a thread about dog harnesses but I can't find it. I have 2 dogs that go traveling with us frequently. They are a 6 lb. silky terrier and a 12 lb. miniature poodle. I have a harness for each of them that the seat belt feeds through. Does anyone know if I can hook both dogs to the same lap/shoulder belt? With my husband and I in front, in the back a FPSVD rear facing on one side and a Regent on the other they have no other room but in between with one seat belt. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If you have no other seatbelts to attach them to, you don't really have much of a choice. :p

I see no reason why the seat belt wouldn't hold with a total of 18lbs of dog attached to it. As far as safety for the dog, I guess the dogs could be pulled toward and strike each other the way two humans sharing a belt would. But I don't think that will happen since he seat belt is threaded through the BACK of the harnesses and not trapping the dogs between the anchor points. This would allow both dogs to move in the same direction in a crash. I would be more concerned with the dogs hitting the sides of the car seats than each other.

Regardless of the possibilities, the main idea of restraining the dogs is to prevent them from injuring the humans in the car. The dog receives protection mainly through not being ejected.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I would definitely attach them both to the same seatbelt. I use the same style of harness for my 55 lb Golden Retriever and your dogs have a combined weight less than she does, so I don't see why not. (We have the Petbuckle).

rodentranger

Do you have LATCH in the seat they are in? IMMI (makers of the Pet Buckle) makes a LATCH tether for dog harnesses if there is a D ring on it and they are within the vehicle's weight limit. I would certainly hope and assume your dogs are well within that!
I also would only trust the RuffRider or the PetBuckle to actually contain a dog in an accident. My big guy broke the buckles/quick clips on several of the cheaper ones just by spinning in his belt before I found the PetBuckle. Granted, he's quite a big bigger than your dogs!

1carseatcrazymama

CPS Technician
I have the Petbuckle for my mini poodle and I'm not for sure the one I have for my little silky. I will have to look again. My sister gave me that one because it didn't fit her dog. I recently looked into the the ruffrider Roadie but they didn't have the sizes I needed.

We are going out of town this weekend and I wanted to make sure my thoughts on this were ok. I am fortunate that my boys(kids) are really good to my girls(dogs) and visa versa otherwise we would be in a whole other ballgame!

1carseatcrazymama

CPS Technician
Do you have LATCH in the seat they are in? IMMI (makers of the Pet Buckle) makes a LATCH tether for dog harnesses if there is a D ring on it and they are within the vehicle's weight limit. I would certainly hope and assume your dogs are well within that!
I also would only trust the RuffRider or the PetBuckle to actually contain a dog in an accident. My big guy broke the buckles/quick clips on several of the cheaper ones just by spinning in his belt before I found the PetBuckle. Granted, he's quite a big bigger than your dogs!

We do have latch in my husband's truck which is what we travel in. I never thought of that, duh! I'm sure they are well within the weight limits considering they both together weigh less than the kiddos and they can still use latch, LOL!

Thanks for all your replies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC