Question True Fit Use

4BabyUnit

I don't have a manual handy, but I noticed on my niece's True Fit that there is a warning label on the insert that says do not use after 22 lbs (10kg).
Wow! I must be completely blind. Well, everyone says the same thing anyway, so I will certainly remove it when she reaches the 22lb. mark.

I just had a tech check my True Fit install this past weekend, but I still have a couple of questions. If any of you experts have time to take a look, I'd greatly appreciate it, as we're headed on a 6 hour drive this weekend, and I want to feel more confident in this install than I do right now:

1. 1 of the techs recommended I move it out of the middle position because there are no LATCH anchors in that position. The other said either is safe, but that he would personally recommend installing it in the position farthest from the driver's seat. That same tech also noted that the headrest of the True Fit CANNOT be allowed to touch (at all) any portion of the seat in front of it, so our front passenger seat in our Outback would need to be moved forward to allow some space between dd's car seat and the front passenger seat. He said that it did not matter how MUCH space there was but that it, under no circumstances, should be touching it. What are your thoughts on this? Where do you think I should install it?

2. The first thing they noticed was the seat protector mat that I had put underneath the car seat. I hate to admit my ignorance, but I did not know that that was "no no." What they didn't tell me is why that is, and I didn't really want to question them...just thought I'd ask here. Obviously, I do not want to risk safety to keep my car looking good, but I DO want to sell this car next year, and I'd like to keep the seats protected if possible. Are there any of these protectors that are tested with car seats and approved for use? Ours is a non-slip Kidoppatomus (sp.?) brand.

3. They re-installed the car seat (using LATCH) behind the passenger seat. I later realized that they did not use the lock-offs on the webbing for the LATCH connectors. They apparently thought that the lock-offs were for use only with a seat belt install. To be honest, so did I. I later read that part of the manual and saw that the installation instructions DO direct you to use the lock offs with the LATCH connectors too (though very unclearly, I must say.) DO I need to use the lock offs with the LATCH connectors, and if so, HOW....it is really awkward to do so.

4. If anyone replies with the opinion that I should probably install this seat in the middle position, can you tell me if it is safe to force the lock-offs over the seatbelt webbing? When I DID have it in the middle position, in order to get the seat tight enough, I literally had to force them locked. I thought I was going to break the plastic.

Maybe I just need to go see another Tech, but of the three total that I've talked to, none of them is familiar with this particular seat or even seems experienced with putting these convertible seats rear-facing.

ADS

4BabyUnit

Shoot! One more comment/question:

The technicians did not measure the angle of recline? Should they have? If so, how can I estimate it...I'm not very good at just eyeballing it, so I have no idea. I feel it is acceptable right now, but I wouldn't mind (and I don't think dd would either) if it were a little more upright.

northernmommy

Wow! I must be completely blind. Well, everyone says the same thing anyway, so I will certainly remove it when she reaches the 22lb. mark.

I just had a tech check my True Fit install this past weekend, but I still have a couple of questions. If any of you experts have time to take a look, I'd greatly appreciate it, as we're headed on a 6 hour drive this weekend, and I want to feel more confident in this install than I do right now:

1. 1 of the techs recommended I move it out of the middle position because there are no LATCH anchors in that position. The other said either is safe, but that he would personally recommend installing it in the position farthest from the driver's seat. That same tech also noted that the headrest of the True Fit CANNOT be allowed to touch (at all) any portion of the seat in front of it, so our front passenger seat in our Outback would need to be moved forward to allow some space between dd's car seat and the front passenger seat. He said that it did not matter how MUCH space there was but that it, under no circumstances, should be touching it. What are your thoughts on this? Where do you think I should install it?It is safest to install the seat in the postion where you can achieve the best install. All things being equal, the middle of the back seat is safest, as it puts your child furthest away from any impact. LATCH is no safer than a seatbelt install, it's just supposed to make installs easier (not that it always does...) If you had a good install in the center, personally, I would leave her there...:twocents:

2. The first thing they noticed was the seat protector mat that I had put underneath the car seat. I hate to admit my ignorance, but I did not know that that was "no no." What they didn't tell me is why that is, and I didn't really want to question them...just thought I'd ask here. Obviously, I do not want to risk safety to keep my car looking good, but I DO want to sell this car next year, and I'd like to keep the seats protected if possible. Are there any of these protectors that are tested with car seats and approved for use? Ours is a non-slip Kidoppatomus (sp.?) brand.There shouldn't be anything between the carseat and the vehicle seat. Seat protectors can give a false sense of a good install. Any dents in your vehicle seats are usually gone within a couple days of removing the carseat.

3. They re-installed the car seat (using LATCH) behind the passenger seat. I later realized that they did not use the lock-offs on the webbing for the LATCH connectors. They apparently thought that the lock-offs were for use only with a seat belt install. To be honest, so did I. I later read that part of the manual and saw that the installation instructions DO direct you to use the lock offs with the LATCH connectors too (though very unclearly, I must say.) DO I need to use the lock offs with the LATCH connectors, and if so, HOW....it is really awkward to do so.I'll check on this when I have my manual handy, but I *believe* they want you to use the lockoffs all teh time.

4. If anyone replies with the opinion that I should probably install this seat in the middle position, can you tell me if it is safe to force the lock-offs over the seatbelt webbing? When I DID have it in the middle position, in order to get the seat tight enough, I literally had to force them locked. I thought I was going to break the plastic.The lockoffs on my TF's are all difficult to close as well, so as long as you can get them closed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe I just need to go see another Tech, but of the three total that I've talked to, none of them is familiar with this particular seat or even seems experienced with putting these convertible seats rear-facing.
If you post your general location, we may be able to find a tech on this board to help you out

4BabyUnit

Thanks northernmommy. I'm in Blowing Rock, NC
If you post your general location, we may be able to find a tech on this board to help you out

In reply, to your answers, the lock offs were SO hard to lock into place, that my husband even gave up on it. I finally, being the more hard-headed of the two of us, used a tool handle to push down on the yellow bar part so that I could get it far enough down for the red lock to go over. The first time I tried this, it slipped, and nearly got a black eye.

I must say, even though, in my gut, I feel like it's best to have the seat in the middle, I was relieved to hear him suggest that he felt better having the seat as far away from the driver's seat as possible. I am in the car by myself with her every day for a 30 minute commute each way, and I canNOT reach her at all when she is in the middle because of the headrest on the TF. I am not comfortable with that.

northernmommy

Thanks northernmommy. I'm in Blowing Rock, NC Maybe start a seperate thread looking for a tech from your area.

In reply, to your answers, the lock offs were SO hard to lock into place, that my husband even gave up on it. I finally, being the more hard-headed of the two of us, used a tool handle to push down on the yellow bar part so that I could get it far enough down for the red lock to go over. The first time I tried this, it slipped, and nearly got a black eye. Okay, well if you had to use a tool, then that changes things! Try not having the belt super tight...sometimes they are impossible to lock if you have teh belt super tight to start with. Let a tiny bit of slack out and try again...it may help.

I must say, even though, in my gut, I feel like it's best to have the seat in the middle, I was relieved to hear him suggest that he felt better having the seat as far away from the driver's seat as possible. I am in the car by myself with her every day for a 30 minute commute each way, and I canNOT reach her at all when she is in the middle because of the headrest on the TF. I am not comfortable with that.
She will still be safe in a properly installed seat in the outboard position, just safer in the middle. It's a parental decision you'll have to make, but if you're going to be distracted by trying to reach her if she's in the middle, it may actually be safer to have her on the side. Also, if you paralell (no matter how I type that, it doesn't look right!) park often, you may want to consider that, as it's best not to be getting her out in traffic:twocents:

4BabyUnit

Thank you for your help. With her behind the passenger seat, I wouldn't be getting her out in traffic, so that's good, but still wonder about where to put it. May use it in middle position on long trips when I have my husband with me and put it behind passenger seat for daily commutes.

Can someone tell me if the car seat is allowed to touch the back of the seat in front of it? Right now, it is not, but it seems like I've seen some pictures on here where they ARE...or maybe they just looked that way.

She will still be safe in a properly installed seat in the outboard position, just safer in the middle. It's a parental decision you'll have to make, but if you're going to be distracted by trying to reach her if she's in the middle, it may actually be safer to have her on the side. Also, if you paralell (no matter how I type that, it doesn't look right!) park often, you may want to consider that, as it's best not to be getting her out in traffic:twocents:

northernmommy

Sorry, forgot to answer that one for you!

If I recall correctly, the carseat cannot touch the back of the seat when the headrest is not in use. It can touch the seat when the headrest is added.

4BabyUnit

See that just makes me wonder...the technicians I took the seat too told me that this rule was the same regardless of the car seat or car and that they should NOT touch the seat at all....ughhh.

Sorry, forgot to answer that one for you!

If I recall correctly, the carseat cannot touch the back of the seat when the headrest is not in use. It can touch the seat when the headrest is added.

northernmommy

See that just makes me wonder...the technicians I took the seat too told me that this rule was the same regardless of the car seat or car and that they should NOT touch the seat at all....ughhh.

The techs you saw are mistaken, as some seats even allow bracing (provided your vehicle allows it). They may be confused because there are a few seats out there that do not allow touching, but not many.

4BabyUnit

Thank you for all of the information northernmommy. I really appreciate it.

The techs you saw are mistaken, as some seats even allow bracing (provided your vehicle allows it). They may be confused because there are a few seats out there that do not allow touching, but not many.

4BabyUnit

Good grief...I'm wondering if I should just stop reading at this point. The very last part of the manufacturer's quote just confused the ____out of me! Ughhh. Sometimes I sure wish things could be more cut and dry. I don't even know HOW to measure the angle of this install.

Here is the thread discussing this, if you scroll way down , you will see a post written in blue quoting the manufacturer on this issue
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=54380 :thumbsup:

Hope that helps!

northernmommy

Sorry! I'm not trying to confuse you, honest! Don't sweat the exact angle of your install...He's just saying that you shouldn't have the front seat pushed up so close to the carseat that it is pushing the carseat to be even more reclined.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC