rf seat in Infinity G35 coupe?

star3night

My mother would like to buy a car seat "so she can take her grandson places." She asked me which model she should get. She wants to use it in her (2004?) Infinity G35 coupe (2 door).

I told her we were keeping our son rear facing until he reaches the 35 limit or is too long for his car seat. I can't imagine installing a rf seat in the back of a coupe let alone the logistics of getting a child into it. I told her I'd ask the experts to see what they say. ;)

Does anyone have experience or input on using/getting a rf car seat in a coupe?

My personal thought is she'll have to wait until he's turned forward facing or she gets a different car, but I'm open to the community's expertise here.

Thanks

ADS

mom2dandh

The rear seat in a G35 coupe is REALLY contoured, and the LATCH anchors sit really high. You may have to try a few carseats IRL to find one that will be compatible. My husband drove one for a little while, but my kids were in Turbo boosters at the time, so I haven't actually tried anything else. There is quite a bit of room in the rear though, so access shouldn't be too bad, especially if you're only needing one rf seat, you could always access it from the opposite side. Good luck.

My guess is it's not possible. I konw a couple of people with em and that car has one of the worst packaging in the world. It's a relatively big car on the outside yet has less space on the inside than a Mini Cooper. A Smart car prolly has comparable interior space. I like the car a lot but it's just not very space efficient.

If you stick the seat behind the passenger seat and then just have it permanently folded (the position to allow people into the backseat), that might be the only way to get it to work.

skaterbabs

It can certainly be done, however it will likely take some effort on your part (and your mom's!) to find a seat that will work well.

First off, see if her car is listed HERE. It's not 100% complete, but it may give you a starting point. Then, take your mom and her car to your local baby store and just keep trying seats until you find one that works.

That site doesn't let you know if it's a coupe or sedan. There's a HUGE diff btw the two. It's a good place to start if you have a 4 door or more. But for models that have 2 door and 4 door versions, it's not that helpful. Some coupes are basically the same car as the 4 door version. Same chassis, etc. It's not with the G35. Nissan took that basic Altima chassis and made long and short versions of it. The G35 sedan uses the standard 4 door Altima version of the chassis. The G35 coupe and the Nissan 350Z 2 seater use the shortened version. Totally different cars even tho both are G35s.

Having to try out different seats is a major pain and takes a lot of time. I appreciate OP's reason of just asking here instead of going out to meet her mom (especially if she lives far away) just to manually try out seats if she can just find the answer on the web.

I appreciate you mentioning the site. It's a great starting point for most people. Very helpful for most cars. It's just that it's not much use in the rare situation where you have a 2 door version of a vehicle that also has a 4 door version. I ran into this problem with my old BMW. Very annoying cuz people were saying seats would fit for my car when it didn't. Then, we checked with our friend who has the 4 door version and realized those people were talking about the 4 door.

Is there another site that lists cars and compatible car seats? Or did they redesign the look recently?

skaterbabs

No, that's the only site with that information currently. While we all understand it's not complete (like www.car-seat.org, the information is submitted by volunteers), it is still a good resource.

I would suggest you email the site owner and suggest she add a further option of 2/4 doors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC