Posting for my BIL looking for a convertible....any other options?

Chex

My BIL is in dental school, so a little tight on money. Their son is currently outgrowing his SR. He'll be a year on the 31st and weighs about 21 lbs and his head is currently about an inch from the top of the shell, so he's right at the limits.

I suggested a lot of higher-weight convertibles, of course, and then mentioned the Scenera and Uptown as being ok options, but that they won't last as long. I would LOVE to have them get a higher-weight option since this will be his primary carseat, but they don't want to spend that much.

I've owned both an Uptown and a Scenera and didn't like the way either of them installed rfing. I was never comfortable with the Uptown's install, so I took it back and got a Scenera. The install with the Scenera was easier, but still not great and that's when I found the MA on clearance at Target so I got that instead. (These were all installs in my Civic, btw.)

So I've been having a hard time recommending either of these seats for him since I know they can be tricky to get good installs with. He has a Honda Pilot....not sure of the year, but it has a 3rd row. They're currently pg w/their 2nd child and are planning a large family.

I told him to find a tech in his area or go to a carseat check somewhere, and I'm hoping he'll do that. The other thing is he called all the Big Lots around him (Denver area) and said none of them carried the Uptown. And the cheapest they have them online is around $100. The Avenue is on sale at Kmart for $72, though, so I told him about that. But then, of course, I had to tell him about the install issues with that one too, which seem to be even worse than the Uptown.

Then I remembered that the new AOE's or whatever name they go by at the moment, have higher top slots and a higher weight limit now. How much are those? And are they worth recommending? I tried to talk him into getting an EFTA since those are the cheapest of the HWH seats, but he didn't seem too interested.

Anyway, I just need some advice. What do you all think? Is there anything else I should have him look at?

ADS

skaterbabs

I'd suggest the EFTA, especially if you're planning to help them with the purchase. The base model is $130-ish and will get most kids to booster age by height and weight. Otherwise, you've already brough up everything I would. Either the Scenera or the Uptown.

ame0312

My BIL is in dental school, so a little tight on money. Their son is currently outgrowing his SR. He'll be a year on the 31st and weighs about 21 lbs and his head is currently about an inch from the top of the shell, so he's right at the limits.

I suggested a lot of higher-weight convertibles, of course, and then mentioned the Scenera and Uptown as being ok options, but that they won't last as long. I would LOVE to have them get a higher-weight option since this will be his primary carseat, but they don't want to spend that much.

I've owned both an Uptown and a Scenera and didn't like the way either of them installed rfing. I was never comfortable with the Uptown's install, so I took it back and got a Scenera. The install with the Scenera was easier, but still not great and that's when I found the MA on clearance at Target so I got that instead. (These were all installs in my Civic, btw.)

So I've been having a hard time recommending either of these seats for him since I know they can be tricky to get good installs with. He has a Honda Pilot....not sure of the year, but it has a 3rd row. They're currently pg w/their 2nd child and are planning a large family.

I told him to find a tech in his area or go to a carseat check somewhere, and I'm hoping he'll do that. The other thing is he called all the Big Lots around him (Denver area) and said none of them carried the Uptown. And the cheapest they have them online is around $100. The Avenue is on sale at Kmart for $72, though, so I told him about that. But then, of course, I had to tell him about the install issues with that one too, which seem to be even worse than the Uptown.

Then I remembered that the new AOE's or whatever name they go by at the moment, have higher top slots and a higher weight limit now. How much are those? And are they worth recommending? I tried to talk him into getting an EFTA since those are the cheapest of the HWH seats, but he didn't seem too interested.

Anyway, I just need some advice. What do you all think? Is there anything else I should have him look at?

the efta is 101.25 at amazon... use visababy at checkout... i just ordered one & it will be here tomorrow!

scatterbunny

I agree, on a budget I think the EFTA is the best choice, since the vast majority of kids will be ready for a booster when that seat is outgrown. If they go with the Avenue, as long as kiddo isn't on the higher end of the weight chart, they may not need a second harnessed seat, either, since the top slots are so tall.

scatterbunny

Is the EFTA a pretty easy install most of the time?

IME, yes. :thumbsup: We did a ton of them RF at a check a couple weeks ago, no problems I can recall. I think the only time it could be a problem is in highly contoured seats, where the knobs can get wedged against the seat, rendering them mostly unusable. I don't think that should be an issue in a Pilot, though.

I don't care for the red tabs, personally, but they aren't a dealbreaker for me, by any means.

Chex

IME, yes. :thumbsup: We did a ton of them RF at a check a couple weeks ago, no problems I can recall. I think the only time it could be a problem is in highly contoured seats, where the knobs can get wedged against the seat, rendering them mostly unusable. I don't think that should be an issue in a Pilot, though.

I don't care for the red tabs, personally, but they aren't a dealbreaker for me, by any means.

Yeah, I was a bit worried about the red tabs, but that's not a deal breaker for me, either. If they were worried about it, I'd tell them to cut a sock and wrap it around them to protect the baby's neck. (That's ok, isn't it?)

So are the new AOE's not worth recommending?

Oh, and I tried the VISABABY discount on Amazon and it wouldn't take it. But I told BIL about it anyway, because I know sometimes it works for some people and not for others. I'm really hoping he goes with that one.

christineka

I really like the avenue for a cheap seat. I don't find it hard to install at all, but I also use locking clips and rearrange my car seats weekly, so I am not the standard person installing car seats. With a large roll of towel or recieving blanket or a tower of pool noodles, the avenue is pretty easy to install. If you sign up for kmart emails they give you a $5 off coupon.

The efta sounds like it would be a better choice if you could talk your bil into spending a little more for it.

scatterbunny

The new AOEs are very nice seats, IMHO...but they aren't cheap, around $200 IIRC. I also think I could fit three-across in my Focus easier with an EFTA, believe it or not, because the EFTA is more contoured, narrow in the spots that count, and up on a high, narrowish base. The AOE is pretty boxy.

Chex

Thanks, you guys. I'll try to talk him into the EFTA and if he doesn't go for it, then maybe the Avenue. Christine, you didn't have a harder time installing that with the hollow bottom?

And if he goes with the Avenue I'll tell him he HAS to get it checked by a tech. (Well, I'll probably tell him that either way.:p)

ETA: I'm impressed that you got a 3-across with the EFTA in a Focus, Jenny. I think most people don't even try. Do you mind me asking what other seats you had in that combo and whether they were rf/ff?

scatterbunny

Just looked through my photos of three across, here's what we tried that worked in my Focus:

FF EFTA, RF Radian, FF Scenera
RF EFTA, RF Radian, RF Scenera (that set-up blew me away)
RF EFTA, RF Radian, FF Scenera

christineka

The only issue I had with the avenue is that the bottom part needs to be raised a bit to keep the buckle from getting in the way of a tight install.

I've had it in locations with a lap-only belt and a locking clip.

The one thing that annoys the heck out of me is that the crotch buckle is heavy and always falls into the seat under baby's bottom. It can be a pain to fish out each and every time.

Chex

Just looked through my photos of three across, here's what we tried that worked in my Focus:

FF EFTA, RF Radian, FF Scenera
RF EFTA, RF Radian, RF Scenera (that set-up blew me away)
RF EFTA, RF Radian, FF Scenera

Those are all amazing...especially that middle one! I bet they might even be able to do a 3-across in their Pilot with the EFTA then! Thanks, Jenny!:)

The only issue I had with the avenue is that the bottom part needs to be raised a bit to keep the buckle from getting in the way of a tight install.

I've had it in locations with a lap-only belt and a locking clip.

The one thing that annoys the heck out of me is that the crotch buckle is heavy and always falls into the seat under baby's bottom. It can be a pain to fish out each and every time.

Ok, good to know if they take that route. Thanks, Christine!

scatterbunny

Those are all amazing...especially that middle one! I bet they might even be able to do a 3-across in their Pilot with the EFTA then! Thanks, Jenny!:)

Yes, all three RF was totally unexpected. I don't think it would work as well if all three were FF, though, and we were trying so many seats in so many different combos that day, I don't even remember if we tried all three FF.

The EFTA is definitely a wide seat, but it isn't boxy like so many wide seats are; it's bowl-shaped, with a high base and narrow spots that might mesh well with other seats.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Since his birthday is coming up, maybe you and a couple other family members can chip in with his parents to buy a Truefit, MA, or RN.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC