Scoop re: new Britax infant seat

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
First, Rue to whoever thought last night was a good night for the site to be down. Rue to you I say!

Anyway, DH, DD and I went to BRU to by a new baby gate. I always walk the car seat section, well, you know why. I'm friendly with the Baby Gear section manager (or something like that, I'm not sure what her actual title is). She saw me and waved me over to where she and a man were talking. A man in a Britax shirt :eek::eek::eek: Yep, I happened on a time when the Britax rep just so happened to be in the store :whistle: I was caught so of guard that I couldn't think of what to ask :eek: so basically I asked what he could tell me that I didn't already know (P.S. he knows Sarah Tilton and speaks with her often, and is familiar with our board. He said "oh, yeah, car-seat.org! :thumbsup:)

Anyway, so he told me about the Boulevard C.S. (yeah, yeah), the Advocate (yep heard all about it). So then I ask him, "so what's this new infant seat I've heard talks of?"

It's tentatively called the Chaperone (he said the name might change, he didn't know), that it was at the ABC expo but that they weren't really showing more than a prototype. He couldn't show me pics or anything (although I did peruse his little binder, but didn't see any secrets).

Stats:
30 lbs, 30 inch limits
Anti-rebound foot
Headrest like the BLVD (not like the old Companion)
No rethread harness, but not a turn-knob like the BLVD. More like the Frontier, he said
6 harness slot positions
5 cover choices, (couldn't tell me what colors, but said that he saw 2 he would consider 'girly')
Will be introduced at the same time as a new stroller, that may or may not be packaged as a travel system as well (the stroller and car seat will fit, and match, but they haven't decided if it'll be packaged to sell as a travel system or not, but that they were 'seriously considering it')
He wouldn't give me even an inking of price.
Should be coming out next Spring-ish? No set date that I could discern.

Hope that helps people, I squeezed out all info I could, and my friend now has my cell number so she can call me when he's scheduled to drop by again. He said he would be coming back before Christmas.

Oh, and Frontier should be coming to BRU at some point.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Oooh, that IS very exciting! Especially because if I ever have another kid (and that's a gigantic, next-to-impossible "if" :p) it will be after that seat has been out long enough to have reliable reviews from techs/parents, so I know whether it's worth buying.

BW1426

I have to say I'm totally bummed about the head support being changed. The head support really set the companion apart from any other seat.

canadiangie

I like the subtle change from Companion to Chaperone... it makes sense, kwim? I think Britax Chaperone sounds distinguished.

All of the changes sound nice.

I've only ever met a Companion once. It didn't *wow* me like I thought it would, but it was a very well built seat, and I can see why it has it's followers.

I guess my only question is will the Chaperone (or whatever they end up calling it) have a 2-piece chest clip??? I really don't dig the old paper clip style that's for sure. :eek:

Hmmm, I wonder if it will come to Canada. I wonder if it will be 400 dollars. :rolleyes:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I installed a Companion only once, but it was a nightmare. Of course, it didn't help that mom wanted it in the center next to a RF Radian in a Mitsubishi Lancer. We couldn't get them side by side (Artie Martin :love: was helping me) and couldn't get more than a barely acceptable install for the RF Radian.

laccaycol

ooo i cant wait to see it. I do also love the Head rest on the companion because my sons head never flopped not once. I wont ever buy a snugride (ok well i had one but hated it)for the lack of head support for newborns. I also like the paper clip chest clip but only for infant seats because i had pinched my kids fingers in the others because newborns like to keep their hands right in the way. When i had the companion i didnt have this problem. Then again most people dont do the paperclip style right i just like it for me. Well i guess people dont do chest clips right on any kind of style so i guess it wouldnt really matter hehe.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Oddly enough, I've only 'met' (I really enjoy that, btw) one as well. HOWEVER, it was probably one of the easiest installs EVER. I can't remember what vehicle it was, but it was outboard behind the driver in a 3 row SUV - I want to say the SUV had bucket seats though, because there were 2 older kids in the back row (a Regent and a Starriser - but the Starriser kid had a Regent, too :love: The older girls were 4.5 and 6.5 - that's what I really remember about that seat check; that the mom was TOTALLY Britax-or-bust and that she was really into safety and extended harnessing.

I've never been impressed with any of Britax's strollers, but it'd still be interesting to see.

serabi

I am so excited about this seat. I have a Companion and love it except for the paper clip and the headrest so I'm really looking forward to seeing what this one looks like. Maybe the stroller will actually be decent this time too!!

Peony

Spring is too late for me. :rolleyes: I had a Companion with DD2 and hated it so much that I sold it right after we switched her to a MA. The things I didn't like about it, the chest clip, head rest, and the fact that very single thing I wanted to take it out of the car, it would stick in the base. I hope the next seat is better.

cowgirlsmommy

*****SQUEAL*****:love::love::love::D OMG that means it will be out in time for me to possibly have it for our next child! I just sent a text message to my hubby about it I'm so excited! It sounds very awesome!

barnmama25

Ooooo it does sound nice. Did you he say whether it would have the belt lock off on the back of the seat like the Euro seats? Did he say if they were going to have the one hand release like the Euro seats?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
SUCH a bummer. I HATE HATE HATE the headrest on the BV. I'm glad I have the old style Companion then. And I don't need it to go to 30lbs, as I have big Britax to move into. Maybe I should pick up another Companion while I still can. Hmmmm.....

rosey2007

This is great news:):):). I can't wait to see it in person. I will have to find an excuse to replace the Baby Trend Flex Loc(DH wants to use it for DB2).

PixieEMT

I'm curious about the price too!

I knew they probably had a 30lb limit seat in the works. They have to keep up with the Jonses.

pastrygirl

Ooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!! Great scoop!!! My son HATED the Companion, and I think it was because the head support trapped in all the heat. The back was always soaked when I took him out of it. I've been trying to sell my Companion because I know I will never use it again. I'm 100% sure that I'll buy a different seat next time.

I'm concerned that the Chaperone will cost the same as the Baby Safe.

lorinick

First, Rue to whoever thought last night was a good night for the site to be down. Rue to you I say!

Anyway, DH, DD and I went to BRU to by a new baby gate. I always walk the car seat section, well, you know why. I'm friendly with the Baby Gear section manager (or something like that, I'm not sure what her actual title is). She saw me and waved me over to where she and a man were talking. A man in a Britax shirt :eek::eek::eek: Yep, I happened on a time when the Britax rep just so happened to be in the store :whistle: I was caught so of guard that I couldn't think of what to ask :eek: so basically I asked what he could tell me that I didn't already know (P.S. he knows Sarah Tilton and speaks with her often, and is familiar with our board. He said "oh, yeah, car-seat.org! :thumbsup:)

Anyway, so he told me about the Boulevard C.S. (yeah, yeah), the Advocate (yep heard all about it). So then I ask him, "so what's this new infant seat I've heard talks of?"

It's tentatively called the Chaperone (he said the name might change, he didn't know), that it was at the ABC expo but that they weren't really showing more than a prototype. He couldn't show me pics or anything (although I did peruse his little binder, but didn't see any secrets).

Stats:
30 lbs, 30 inch limits
Anti-rebound foot
Headrest like the BLVD (not like the old Companion)
No rethread harness, but not a turn-knob like the BLVD. More like the Frontier, he said
6 harness slot positions
5 cover choices, (couldn't tell me what colors, but said that he saw 2 he would consider 'girly')
Will be introduced at the same time as a new stroller, that may or may not be packaged as a travel system as well (the stroller and car seat will fit, and match, but they haven't decided if it'll be packaged to sell as a travel system or not, but that they were 'seriously considering it')
He wouldn't give me even an inking of price.
Should be coming out next Spring-ish? No set date that I could discern.

Hope that helps people, I squeezed out all info I could, and my friend now has my cell number so she can call me when he's scheduled to drop by again. He said he would be coming back before Christmas.

Oh, and Frontier should be coming to BRU at some point.

NJ stores already sell the Frontier and have for about 5 months or so.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC