Question Classic Car

T

Traci

My husband just bought me a 1969 Ford Mustang. I have two small boys that are still in car seats. My husband would like to install the LATCH system into the Mustang. I have looked all over the web to try and purchase the system but can not find it. Can I buy the system and most important, can it be installed in my classic car? If the LATCH system can not be installed, is there an alternative to keep my boys safe in the back seat? Thank you.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
LATCH cannot be retrofitted to older vehicles. Either a vehicle comes with it, or it doesn't. Top tether anchors can often be retrofitted on older vehicles - though you may have a tough time with a classic car, but the lower anchors cannot be.

As for a safe way to install a carseat, I believe lap/shoulder belts are available to retrofit classic cars in the back seat, so you should be able to put those in. If there are existing belts, it's still a good idea to replace them unless they were recently replaced, just because it's possible seatbelt webbing can degrade over time - and almost 40yrs is a long time. ;)

Is the plan for this to be an occasional vehicle? If it was to be a regular vehicle, I'd have some concerns about the crash safety of the vehicle in general because of it's age and lack of safety features, but if it's going to be mainly a collector vehicle or very occasional method of transport this may be less of a concern. It's something you'll want to consider before transporting the boys in it regularly anyways - at least in cases where another vehicle is an option.

T

Traci

Thank you for the input. My husband and his buddy (the ones restoring the vehicle) are discussing welding a bar that goes from one end of the back seat to the other, beneath the seat. You would be able to attach the latch system on the car seat in between the top half and bottom half of the seats. What are your thoughts on that? Traci

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thank you for the input. My husband and his buddy (the ones restoring the vehicle) are discussing welding a bar that goes from one end of the back seat to the other, beneath the seat. You would be able to attach the latch system on the car seat in between the top half and bottom half of the seats. What are your thoughts on that? Traci

I'm guessing this might not be what you want to hear, but that would most definitely not be safe. LATCH anchors go through specific testing, and have regulations regarding the diameter of the anchor and the anchor spacing itself in addition to the pull strength testing that it must undergo.

LATCH isn't safer - it's what a lot of parents are more familiar with as more & more vehicles on the road have LATCH, but it's not safer unless you can't get a good install with the seatbelt (and the vehicle has LATCH, without LATCH you'd have to get a different seat instead.)

LATCH was designed to make more carseats compatible with more vehicles, and to simplify installation. It has somewhat succeeded, but there are limitations as to when parents need to switch from LATCH to seatbelt based on child weight, as well as whether a specific seating position allows the use of LATCH... many vehicles don't have center LATCH, which means if you want to use LATCH, you have to install the seat outboard... center is most protected, so in that type of situation - provided a good seatbelt install can be achieved in the center, seatbelt is actually safer than LATCH because it allows the child restraint to be installed in the most protected position of the vehicle. Sometimes, a seat just plain installs better with the seatbelt than with LATCH - and if that's the case, seatbelt is again safer.

So I honestly wouldn't worry about whether or not the vehicle has LATCH. Do make sure when they're restoring though that the vehicle has new lap/shoulder belts put in - this will be very important once your kids get to the age & size of moving from a harnessed seat to a booster seat.

And also, given the age of the vehicle and that I don't know the shape the body is in etc, make sure that where the seatbelt is anchored is in good condition. It's not a simple matter of holding in 40lbs or 80lbs, because the weight of the occupant is multiplied many times over in a collision - the higher the speed of the collision, the more "weight" the seatbelt must hold in. So make sure the vehicle is in good condition at the anchorage points for the seatbelt. And if the vehicle didn't come factory with seatbelts, have them do some research on how to retrofit seatbelts so that they're able to find a safe anchorage point. I know nothing about the technicalities involved, I just know that it's important. :thumbsup:

Tyler'sMom1117

My dh put in lap/shoulder belts in classic car about 12 years ago. He ordered them and he installed them on the frame of the car. It had instructions of how to do it. Sorry, I can't help more than that. We don't have that car anymore.

Maedze

No, you can't jerry rig a LATCH system. It would be unsafe, maybe even deadly. :eek:

Melizerd

Remember anytime you use the word rig or think it ;) in conjunction with carseats it's a bad bad idea.

I would look into having all the seatbelts replaced since they are much older and possibly deteriorated or been in an accident etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC