06 Hyundai Sonata Snugride install questions

mum2two

I was helping some friends who first time parents tonight install both bases in their cars...the center install in an older Grand Am was a breeze with the lap belt....now for the Hyundai.

It's an 06 Sonata, the seats are a slippery velor like fabric. The center seat position has a fold down armrest. The car manual does not allow to borrow outboard latch for center but did not forbid install using seatbelt, and in fact there is a TT in the center position.

The latch install outboard didn't seem that rock solid...not like I'm used to.

So as we were going to use a seatbelt we decided to go with the center position (mom is 5'10" and dad is 6'5")....the seatbelt comes from the top/back and it has the funny little thing/hook that you put into a small female seatbelt buckle on one side to create the lap/shoulder belt configuration (does this make sense) and buckles on the other side. Is it ok to use this type of seat belt? I got a good install...less than 1 inch at the base of the seat..the fabric is so slippy that it may wiggle a bit...and even though I know we heard the click I don't love the tightness of the shoulder belt. I wasn't sure if that was typical of a belt that comes from so high up?

As it was getting late we didn't do another attempt-they are going in on Friday for a c-section due to pre-eclampsia so I told them I'd post here and come back if needed.

Suggestions???...should I try a seatbelt install in the outboard position? Would a thin shelf liner help underneath the base?

And yes I did have the husband do the install with me and he's got it! I also demonstrated using my Tad the frog how to do the straps/adjust/and rethread the harness and also gave them the "No aftermarket products" and no thick coats speech. It was fun passing along info that I've learned from all of you and I know they appreciated it.

Thanks!

Beth

ADS

crunchierthanthou

shelf liner won't really work because it's just going to mask the loose install. It's okay to add it after you're sure you can acheive a proper install if the parent insists on something to protect the seat. However, it's not okay to use it in order to acheive a proper install.

I have a similar setup with the secondary seatbelt buckle and leather seats. You may find that it's helpful to twist one or both of the buckle stalks (up to three full twists total) and to use a locking clip. In my car, the twisting of the buckle stalks limits side to side movement and the locking clip prevents tipping from the shoulder retractor.

mum2two

Thanks! But a followup question

That's what I figured on the liner issue...

So even though the seatbelts are the ones that lock you can still use the locking clip? There is no space for a locking clip on the side where the belt locks into the seatbelt buckle, it buckles super close to the base...so put the locking clip on the other side where the shoulder belt goes upward? (I haven't had to ever use a locking clip...) -I guess this is why I love built in lockoffs!

crunchierthanthou

So even though the seatbelts are the ones that lock you can still use the locking clip? There is no space for a locking clip on the side where the belt locks into the seatbelt buckle, it buckles super close to the base...so put the locking clip on the other side where the shoulder belt goes upward? (I haven't had to ever use a locking clip...) -I guess this is why I love built in lockoffs!

You can use a locking clip in place of locking the retractor. Otherwise, putting it on isn't going to do you much good if you're also locking the seatbelt because the shoulder belt will still be pulling up and causing the SR to tip. Forget the other buckle; you always put the locking clip next to the latchplate (I think Graco says 1/2" from it). Twisting the buckle stalk may help give you more room for the locking clip, although it's fine if the locking clip is completely within the beltpath. It can be either all the way in or all the way out, as long as it isn't pushing against the edge of the shell. Having the locking clip inside the beltpath is a somewhat common configuration with infant seat bases. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with snapping the seat into the base.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC