Choosing a Seat

U

Unregistered

Hi-
I am trying to buy a carseat for my 4 year old, who is 40 in. and 36 lb. First off, we don't own a car so we are buying this seat for when we get a ride with a friend or when we rent a car. Therefore my first concern is that it is will install in almost every car we would get into. Secondly, since we take the train or bus everywhere it would be nice if it's small and wouldn't be impossible to carry onto a train or bus. Although we have a britax roundabout for my other son and that is in no way portable. Finally, since my son is not use to sitting in car seats I'd like something comfy so that he won't object to it. Also we are planning on going on a long road trip this summer which is why we are buying the seat now. We are looking at the compass 500 and the safegaurd Go. I'd like to have the five point harness but I am concerned that we would get into a car that didn't have a teather. Also he would proably have to be in a side position since I need to sit next to his brother so I'd like some side impact protection. I'd be open to other suggestions as well. Thank you
alice

ADS
K

kelly

The Safeguard GO does *require* the use of a top tether. But, they've been required in vehicles for quite a few years, so I'd hope any rental you'd get would have them. And, you can verify with your friends that they have top tethers available.

It seems like it'd be great, very light, easy to use with LATCH (you could alternately use the seat belt, but it LATCH is said to be easier).

It doesn't offer additional side impact protection though.

How tall is he seated? (Sit him against a wall and verify his height from floor to shoulder.) I would think a GO would fit, but just making sure. (Its not short, but not SUPER tall either.)

The Compass 500 is JUST a booster, no harness. I'm don't think it would be a good choice, given your son isn't used to riding in cars. He'll have a lot of freedom to get himself out of position, to mess with the seat belt, and if he sleeps, he'll be out of position every time. Four is really the minimum for any kid maturity-wise, but I think it'd be even harder for a 4 year old who hasn't ridden in many cars to be able to sit THAT still for long stretches.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC